The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
During warm-ups in my JV game tonight, checking wrists for bands. See a sweatband, but don't investigate. Middle of 2nd quarter, I notice something peeking out from under the sweatband. Go to player, ask, "Do you have anything under that sweatband?" SHE SAID, "NO". But I reached out and just touched the band, and there was obviously something there. I said, "You can't play with that on." She said sorry, and took if off. I said, "I hope you weren't trying to deceive the ref." She mumbled, and walked off. At half-time, I told the coach, and asked him to deal with it.

I'm trying to be less confrontational, and less quick on the trigger, so I didn't throw a T here. I figured, if telling the coach is the way to get a better game, that's the best thing to do.

I'd be interested in hearing what others might have done.

Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

She lied to you. You didn't catch it. That's not a T. But I bet you're smarter for it!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

I assume what was underneath was jewlery????

Wearing jewelry is not a "T"ing offense. Just not allowed. Remove it or don't play.

The coach probably doesn't know this. So I think letting him deal with it is probably a great idea... he will probably think his game was in jeopardy and punish the player more severely than you could have done.

Deceipt.... absolutely.... not sure what you are allowed to do there... perhaps ejection. Someone else will come along with a good response.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
The penalty for wearing jewelry is not a T...but intentionally deceiving an official could certainly be considered unsportsmanlike conduct punishable by a T. In this case, however, I believe that you handled the situation appropriately. In the future, you might be more aware of those wrist bands etc.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 12:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

There are states where the wearing of jewelry IS punishable with a technical foul. As always, check with your state office:

Here's the citation for Wisconsin:

JEWELRY
Q:Â* A player is observed, during warm-ups, wearing jewelry.Â* Do we penalize penalize the team if a player is wearing jewelry and it is discovered during introductions?Â* Or, do we penalize only during the game?Â* (Rule 3-6)
A:Â* The official should inform the team member to remove the jewelry immediately.Â* Upon compliance, the team member may continue to warm-up with his or her teammates and may start the game without penalty.Â* The same would be true during the introductions.Â* Should a player be spotted during the game with jewelry on, the team shall be assessed a team technical foul.Â* This is a Wisconsin adaptation to National Federation rules.Â* The jewelry shall be removed prior to the player being allowed to participate.
----------------------
This was clarified later -- this technical foul is not directly or indirectly charged to the head coach, so the coach maintains the use of the coaching box if such a foul is called.

Rich
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Too bad. Rich, I like the state adaption, but wish they had made it an indirect on the coach. This is the best and fastest way to fix the problem. If the coach can't stand, you can bet that he will make sure that his players don't wear jewelry.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 04:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I agree. The head coach is responsible for certifying that his players are "legally and properly equipped." If he makes that certification and the players are illegal, well then he should be held responsible. In a meaningful way.

But it's really a non-issue for me. I've not seen any jewelry on a court all season, not even pre-game.

Rich
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

rainmaker: I think you handled the situation very well except for 1 thing -- I would caution you about ever touching a player, even on the wrist. It can always be misconstrued.
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
rainmaker: I think you handled the situation very well except for 1 thing -- I would caution you about ever touching a player, even on the wrist. It can always be misconstrued.
I knew as soon as I did it, that someone would tell me I shouldn't! How else could I have seen for sure? Ask her to pull the sweatband off, I suppose. Okay, next time (five years from now!) I'll do it that way!
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

I have not seen any jewelry this season. However, during the brief pre-game conference with the coaches I asked, "Coaches, are your players legally equipped?" At that same time I notice a player who has metal clips in her hair during warm-ups.

Coach: "Yes sir."

Me: "Then why does #11 have metal hairclips?"

He walks away from me...

Coach: "Hey everyone, get over here."

Now he is checking all his team members.

Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

"T" for Jewelry?

I did a subvarity game earlier this year where my partner called a "Tech" on a player in mid game for wearing an ear ring.

When your partner calls a "TECH" on a missed rule should I have gone to him to explain the mistake and ask him to reconsider the "TECH"?

Could he have claimed that since We had asked the coaches in pre-game if they had inspected their players for jewelry and they said "YES" to not having any, that they had lied to the officials thus justifying the TECH?

thanks
GTW
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by Troward
I did a subvarity game earlier this year where my partner called a "Tech" on a player in mid game for wearing an ear ring.

When your partner calls a "TECH" on a missed rule should I have gone to him to explain the mistake and ask him to reconsider the "TECH"?

Could he have claimed that since We had asked the coaches in pre-game if they had inspected their players for jewelry and they said "YES" to not having any, that they had lied to the officials thus justifying the TECH?

thanks
GTW
Yes, and No.