The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

New OBR pitching rules

One of the new changes to the OBR rules basically allows the pitcher, while assuming the wind-up position, to place is free foot anywhere (behind, off to the side, or in front of the rubber.)

I see a potential problem with this. How is the runner (or the umpire) supposed to know the pitcher's intent (pitching from the SET or WINDUP position) when he places his foot on the rubber with his free foot in FRONT of the rubber?

When he brings his hands together is that part of his windup routine -or- is he bringing his hands together to come set? In one case he doesn't have to come to a discernible stop and in the other case, he does.

I foresee set positions morphing into windup positions. When the pitcher doesn't come to a discernible stop and a balk is called, what is to prevent the pitcher from claiming, "I was winding up - I don't have to stop?" And he'd be right!

A pitcher could virtually position himself on the rubber in identical fashions (free foot in FRONT of the rubber) and, from that position, either go into a windup OR come set with neither the runners (nor umpires) having any idea what to expect.

And you couldn't really balk a pitcher for not coming to a discernible stop because that is not a requirement of the windup delivery.

Is he gong to windup or come set?

I can see some potential problems with this as it could easily be used by a crafty pitcher to befuddle the runners. Basically, it's a license to pitch from the "set position" and not pause, by claiming that he was winding up. He could even vary his deliveries, sometimes coming set, and sometimes going into a windup from identical initial positions.

http://mlb.mlb.com/pressbox/download...ges_021607.pdf

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

This rule change was made so the rule matched what was being called. IOW, it hasn't been a problem before at the pro (or at least MLB) level. If the shoulders are (generally) facing the plate, F1 is in the wind-up. IF the shoulders are (generally) facing 1st or 3rd, F1 is in the set. The rest of the motion is also (again, generall) different -- rocker step or not, hands above the head or not, etc.

That said, the NCAA made a change last year(?) in the opposite driection to avoid some of the confusion.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
After you've watched that pitcher deliver several times, you'll know what he's doing and he won't be able to con you about what it is either unless you let him.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
This rule change was made so the rule matched what was being called. IOW, it hasn't been a problem before at the pro (or at least MLB) level. If the shoulders are (generally) facing the plate, F1 is in the wind-up. IF the shoulders are (generally) facing 1st or 3rd, F1 is in the set. The rest of the motion is also (again, general) different -- rocker step or not, hands above the head or not, etc.

That said, the NCAA made a change last year(?) in the opposite direction to avoid some of the confusion.
I realize that the free foot location has been customarily ignored at the professional level even though it was frequently, technically, illegal.

Pitchers generally adopt a routine and consistency that makes fine discernments unnecessary; UNTIL, someday comes along a pitcher that adopts a style that makes the two motions very similar and, in addition, he frequently alters his delivery such that no consistency is established. Now the umpire will have no basis for the pitchers "usual" habit.

IOW, he positions himself on the rubber the same way every time. Sometimes he winds-up from that position (i.e. brings his hands together and continues his delivery) and sometimes he comes set from that position (i.e. brings his hands together and pauses).

Now the letter-of-the-law makes this LEGAL and it would only be by a newly established custom that this would be ruled a balk. So, in effect, we will have gone from one custom (allowing free reign with the free foot although the rules don't permit it) to a new custom (not allowing free reign with the free foot although the rules allow it.)

Previously, if a pitcher's intent (wind-up or set) was established by the alignment of his shoulders, then the MLB rulemakers should have taken the time to change the following terminology:

The Set Position. Set Position shall be indicated by the pitcher when he stands facing the batter with his pivot foot in contact with, and his other foot in front of, the pitcher’s plate, holding the ball in both hands in front of his body and coming to a complete stop.

I've always thought that wording odd since no pitcher "faces" the batter while in the set position.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN