The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Can somebody help me with illegal pitches in high school ball?
1.How is the ball to be presented before stepping to the mound? Can the pitcher put the ball in the glove with the other hand out of the glove and then step to the mound or does the ball have to be in the hand opposite the glove and visible?
2.Is there a rule concerning a pitcher that screams after she releases the ball(we're not talking as she releases it, we're talking as the ball is getting to the batter).
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by softballmom2
1.How is the ball to be presented before stepping to the mound? Can the pitcher put the ball in the glove with the other hand out of the glove and then step to the mound or does the ball have to be in the hand opposite the glove and visible?
There is no requirement to present the ball. The ball can be in either hand or glove; visible or hidden.
Quote:
2.Is there a rule concerning a pitcher that screams after she releases the ball(we're not talking as she releases it, we're talking as the ball is getting to the batter).
No, not specifically pertaining to the pitcher. This may be considered obstruction of the batter (rule 8-1-1-d) or possibly unsporting conduct, or possibly nothing. If it was timed to when the pitch reaches the plate, I would not allow it; probably ruling unsporting conduct of a minor nature (warning to the offender, ejection if repeated).
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Great questions. Dakota has given you good answers.

We all appreciate softball parents coming here to learn more. It definitely makes our jobs easier on the field.

To give you an eye open-er, I was going to direct you to a National Federation of High School's (NFHS) rule book, and show you the 4½ or 5 pages of the rules for pitchers. We have another book that has about 3 more pages of sample "case" plays to demonstrate the rule book. Unfortunately, there is not an NFHS rule book online.

There is an National Softball Assoc. (NSA) rule book online. You can find that at http://www.playnsa.com/modules.php?n...howpage&pid=7.

Select the first link for 2005 Rulebook and Section 6, on pages 98-101 of the PDF file, has the pitching rules for fast pitch. I think they are the same, except "section 3", where in high school, this step back is allowed.

Thanks for asking... and ask more. It keeps us on our toes.
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Same thing yesterday

My daughters played a High School game yesterday and had the opposing pitcher make a noise after the pitch reached the plate. I noticed her doing it in warm ups. The coaches didn't say anything (whole diff. problem there), but I did. The Umpire said that if she did it consistantly as part of her release then he didn't see a problem with it unless the other umpire did. Her coach said she has always done it and it was part of her release. Fact is, she did not do it consistantly through out the game and it was much later then the release. It was noticed in the student section which brought complaint and eventually grunts from them during her release. I believe it is shows unsporting behavior by a player, but I can't actually find a definition of "unsporting". Can anyone direct me?

Thanks
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

In the NFHS Rules Book, USC is covered in 3:6:15, 10:2:3f, and 10:3:1. Hope that helps.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Same thing yesterday

Quote:
Originally posted by SeaDude
My daughters played a High School game yesterday and had the opposing pitcher make a noise after the pitch reached the plate. I noticed her doing it in warm ups. The coaches didn't say anything (whole diff. problem there), but I did. The Umpire said that if she did it consistantly as part of her release then he didn't see a problem with it unless the other umpire did. Her coach said she has always done it and it was part of her release. Fact is, she did not do it consistantly through out the game and it was much later then the release. It was noticed in the student section which brought complaint and eventually grunts from them during her release. I believe it is shows unsporting behavior by a player, but I can't actually find a definition of "unsporting". Can anyone direct me?

Thanks
With all due respect, if you are not the head coach of your daughters High School team, you have no business talking to the umpires during the game. That is the job of team captains and head coach. If I had been umpiring this game I would not have listened to you at all and then politely refered you to your daughters coach.

My daughter is a junior at a DIII school with a very good softball program. Her team has played in the DIII world series for the last 3 years and hopes to go again this year (Regionals this weekend!!!) The last two years we faced pitchers who "grunted" on every pitch. The NCAA Umpires who were working the tournament told me that it was strictly umpire judgement and that they (or I) have never called it or seen it called by another umpire. I would suggest you get used to it. I doubt it's going to change.

As for what students start to do in the stands, well, their conduct is overseen by the school administrator at the game site. Umpires have no jurisdiction or responsibility for people in the stands.