The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 12:06pm
In Memoriam

Question Music between batters - NCAA

I don't get out much so this was a new deal for me.

Working my only small college games yesterday, I had really loud music behind the backstop between innings. I didn't like it, but I figgered, like I said, I don't get out much.

Well, then the music started between batters [Wazzat, about 20 seconds?], and I went to the music box and asked them to refrain between batters. They said fine, but they tattled on me.

Home coach came out at the next half-inning and said "Everyone does that music between batters at every other field." I said, "No kiddin'?" I asked the visiting "on-deck batter if that was so and he said, "Yes it is (so)."

Okeedokee, I figger. ...Weird, but okeedokee.

Does this, between batters music thing, happen at all levels of college ball or is this specific to DIII leagues?

mick
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

It happens at most schools JC thru DI. But a word to the wise is don't let the music stop playing before you get that batter in the box, some times the hitters like to try and hang out a listen for a bit. Get them in the box and the music will stop; if it doesn't, then you can warn the music maker and then you can shut it down.
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Mick:

How wonderfully timed . . .

We have just gone through this same issue at the HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL.

Rule books are silent on this issue. We know the issue has come from MLB, to MiLB, to D1 and now to high school.

We have taken a stand in my area that the music between hitters is fine as long as the music stops before the batter enters the dirt area (about 10' from the plate) and the hitter does nothing to obviously delay his at bat.

Being another "old guy" I was concerned originally but now recognize that the game has changed at all levels over the years.

Regards,
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

As far as I know, if the host school has a PA system, they do the whole music thing. I guess the kids think they're big leaguers and need to get "pumped".
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

It's not really a problem until the batter waits for his theme music to hit before he comes out to bat like he's a WWE wrestler or something. When that happens, we normally just give them a little "hustle out here next time, batter" and that normally cures things.

We haven't had a problem with it.
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 01:48pm
In Memoriam

Thanks, folks.

I have just been upgraded.

Speaking of theme music, I think, for my at bat, I would want the theme from "Jaws", but my lifetime baseball batting average would probably require the dance of the Sugar Plum fairies, "The Waltz of the Flowers".

mick
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I draw the line at "Three Blind Mice".... and are ear plugs on sale at Honigs??

Bob p

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

New things ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
I don't get out much so this was a new deal for me.

Working my only small college games yesterday, I had really loud music behind the backstop between innings. I didn't like it, but I figgered, like I said, I don't get out much.

Well, then the music started between batters [Wazzat, about 20 seconds?], and I went to the music box and asked them to refrain between batters. They said fine, but they tattled on me.

Home coach came out at the next half-inning and said "Everyone does that music between batters at every other field." I said, "No kiddin'?" I asked the visiting "on-deck batter if that was so and he said, "Yes it is (so)."

Okeedokee, I figger. ...Weird, but okeedokee.

Does this, between batters music thing, happen at all levels of college ball or is this specific to DIII leagues?

mick
Its prevalent at all of our high school games. Started at the top three schools about three or four years ago (couple of teams that have won several state championships), and everyone else is following suit.

I think it kind of neat as long as it doesn't delay the game.

Most all of them here are run on a computer and they use a real player or itunes so they know exactly how long the clip is.

And then they have a fade button so if the clip is longer as the batter gets on the dirt they fade them down.

Its kind of funny to me as they will play Jeopardy as the manager talks with his pitcher and etc.,

Of course, me being a musician might have something to do with it also... (g)

Thanks
David
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

ive never had this as a player or umpire. everywhere i work at the college level has music between innings, and most high school aged games are playing something between innings. ive never had it between batters though, and wouldnt mind it as long as it didnt affect the pace of the game.
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
I draw the line at "Three Blind Mice".... and are ear plugs on sale at Honigs??

Bob p
Kicked the guying running the board and sound out of the game for playing 3 blind mice as my partners and I walked on the field. Hadnt even got to the plate for the meeting and his butt was in the parking lot.

He had to wait a couple of hours because he was resposible for locking up and I was riding home with him. The old man was always a joker
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Most D1 schools in my area play music between batters. The one I go to most regularly has a different music clip, about 20 seconds, for every home team batter, I suppose selected by that batter as his THEME, to reflect his own personallity. You can tell who is coming to the plate by the song that is playing. On some of the songs the crowd joins in, either by clapping with the music or singing along. It is quite alot of fun for the fans.

The music always goes off as the batter steps into the box. No music for the visitors.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Music between batters

I have done PA work with music during our HS season and sometimes in the summer as well as at HS football and basketball as a volunteer for the past five years or so. This year I quit bootleg umpiring and got certified and went to a different region to call than the region in which I teach HS to avoid "personality conflicts", etc. The kids love it. Most fans love it. I have done PA/Music a few games this season when I was not scheduled to call somewhere else. I have done it for free. I just got hired to do PA/Music at our district tourney at $50 per game because the guy running the tournament heard my stuff at one of this season's games. I have edited the songs to around 20 seconds for player intros (most of them like rap but I use the music more than the lyrics for that stuff) (some of them even use WWE wrestler intros) I also have a bunch of topical stuff I play when ball is dead or at the end of an inning. For example-walks= Walk this way, walk the line, walkin' after midnight, walk on by, walk like a man, etc. around 3 to 6 seconds each while the kids takes his base. I usually get a few laughs. On hit batsmen I play hit me baby one more time, you don't know how it feels, ooops up side your head, etc. More laughs and a general good time. I also play the usual ballgame standards-charge by bugle, and pump up stuff like we will rock you by Queen on time outs. The best is when there is a mound meeting after pitching problems and I play a bit from an old 1950's live TV show, "We are having technical difficulties, please stand by" with old organ music. They all start howling, players, fans, coaches. Lots of fun. The times they are a changin'. Old guys get used to it and just accept it. Oh yeah, I also play some funny stuff in between innings- there is a Jerry Clower bit where he talks about Clovis Ledbetter being a baseball umpire, calling ball four and then the batter out because the bases are loaded and there's no where else to put you, you're out. Now umpires ask me to play that some times. I also have Sammy Sosa from 1998 saying "baseball been berry, berry good to me" at Wrigley field over the PA after a home run. It gets lots of claps and laughs. Remember you guys- although we are working here it is still a game to everyone else, especially the fans. Some of them even come out to see the umpires work. We have a senior umpire in my association, a 41 year veteran of umpiring, who puts on quite a show with his calls, his hustle, his body language. He is very highly rated by the coaches, handles the problem children well and puts on a great show for the fans. He is somewhat famous having called several HS state championships and the LL world series along with lots of other amateur level ball. He truly loves umpiring and it shows. His called third strike footwork and punch out never fails to get some comments. All positive.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radwaste50
Kicked the guying running the board and sound out of the game for playing 3 blind mice as my partners and I walked on the field. Hadnt even got to the plate for the meeting and his butt was in the parking lot.

He had to wait a couple of hours because he was resposible for locking up and I was riding home with him. The old man was always a joker
FWIW (for what it's worth), my candidate for (intentionally) funniest post of the week.
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

We each had our own music at the NAIA school i played at, a specific song each batter or pitcher picked out when they came to bat or came in to pitch. We would also play "You Dropped a Bomb on Me" by the Gap Band while one of our guys rounded the bases after a HR.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 12:28am
Archaic Power Monger

Music for each home batter is also played here at the D1 school I attend. My personal favorite is when they play "Hit the Road Jack" after the visiting team pulls their pitcher that just got shelled. That one reminds me of the A's games I used to go to as a kid.

During one game, the plate ump rung up one of the home team batters on a good pitch and a "BOOOOOO" sound effect started playing. Majestically, there was no more music to be heard for the rest of the game.