The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 22, 2002, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Gold_Spark Send a message via Yahoo to Gold_Spark
I am 99.9% positive that this is only a misconception, but I cannot find the situation in my rule book or case book.

If a pitcher has hit 3 batters . . . is he to be removed from the game?

Thanks for the help.
Old Mon Jul 22, 2002, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gold_Spark
I am 99.9% positive that this is only a misconception, but I cannot find the situation in my rule book or case book.

Thanks for the help.

What you refer to is a Local league Rule that some leagues adopt on their own seperate from the rule book. While this rule could apply to a given league it does not apply when any of the teams from this league plays outisde either through inter-league play or tournament play.

If you want to stretch an official rule. Here it is.

OBR 8.02 The pitcher shall not_

(d) Intentionally Pitch at the Batter. If, in the umpire's judgment, such a violation occurs, the umpire may elect either to: 1. Expel the pitcher, or the manager and the pitcher, from the game, or 2. may warn the pitcher and the manager of both teams that another such pitch will result in the immediate expulsion of that pitcher (or a replacement) and the manager. If, in the umpire's judgment, circumstances warrant, both teams may be officially "warned" prior to the game or at any time during the game. (League Presidents may take additional action under authority provided in Rule 9.05) To pitch at a batter's head is unsportsmanlike and highly dangerous. It should be_and is_condemned by everybody. Umpires should act without hesitation in enforcement of this rule.

Therfore, an umpire using his / her judgement could say after F1 hits the third batter; "skip this is your warning" and any subsequent violation will result in an ejection. As mentioned this is stretching the rule but nontheless can be applied.

Pete Booth

Old Mon Jul 22, 2002, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Local League Rule

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware of the existence of local league rules. (In our league's Little League age group, the Infield Fly Rule is waived).

Nevertheless, I am again pretty sure that our league rules do not mention this "3 Hits Batsman and the pitcher is removed" policy. Basically, here is the mixed up situation.

Our leagues Pony League includes teams from another league. The bad thing about this situation is the fact that when one of our teams is the HOME team . . . we play solely by our league rules. While if one of our teams is the AWAY team . . . we play by the other league's rules. The problem is that I'm not totally "in-tune" with the other leagues rules.

However, our league tournament is coming up shortly in which I will be calling a couple games. And in that tournament, we will obide by OUR league rules. LOL. Therefore, I just wanted to make sure that this "3 Hit Batters and yer out" rule does not apply in the NFHS Rule Books.
Old Mon Jul 22, 2002, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

PONY is officially OBR, by the way, not FED.
Old Mon Jul 22, 2002, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Not in our league.

Our league has it's exceptions, but then refers to the high school rule book for any unmentioned situations, practice, ect.
Old Tue Jul 23, 2002, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Actually, I understand it to be a popularly held convention.

"Three in an inning...five in a game"

However, nowhere will you find that in the book.

I would agree that should you have a pitcher so clearly not in control of his stuff, you would want to exercise whatever means necessary to have him out of the game ASAP.

Old Tue Jul 23, 2002, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Gold_Spark:

"Our leagues Pony League includes teams from another league. The bad thing about this situation is the fact that when one of our teams is the HOME team . . . we play solely by our league rules. While if one of our teams is the AWAY team . . . we play by the other league's rules. The problem is that I'm not totally "in-tune" with the other leagues rules."

The real problem is that the people running these leagues don't have enough smarts to print their "local rules", and give copies to the each team. Simple, huh?

Bob

Old Tue Jul 23, 2002, 04:34am
Official Forum Member

Smarts

bluezebra: I kinda agree weith you. Our league president is usually a real stickler for our rules too. I guess the only way the other teams would converge is if they could play by their rules on the home field. However, I have now learned that nowhere in their rules is the "3 hit batsman rule" mentioned.

Michael: I tend to shy away from any and all "popularly held conventions". In my opinion, if it's not in the rules. It's not in the game.
Old Tue Jul 23, 2002, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Re: Local League Rule

Quote:
Originally posted by Gold_Spark
(In our league's Little League age group, the Infield Fly Rule is waived).
Why?

I've seen some odd ground rules, but never this one. I am curious as to the thinking behind it.
Old Tue Jul 23, 2002, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Locally, the board passed a policy that umpires are to "request" a change in pitchers if one hits three batters in an inning or five in a game. If the coach refuses, the umpire MAY eject the pitcher. If the coach cooperates, the kid gets to play elsewhere. If he doesn't he MAY lose the kid for the rest of the game AND the next game.

GB
Old Tue Jul 23, 2002, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

brandda: You have a good point. I'm not really for sure why. If I had to guess, here it goes. In my small area youth league . . . our umpires do not have the compentency to call the Infield Fly Rule. To be honest, a lot of coaches in my league aren't totally confident with the rule. Kinda sad, but that's reality I guess.

GarthB: I would have to say that I agree to 3 hit batters in one inning as a cautionary point. However, I still think there are possible situations in which the pitcher is in control of his stuff AND is not intentionally throwing at the hitter and he hits 3 batters in one inning or 5 batters throughout the game. Ultimately, it should always be the umpires judgement. Whether it be 1 hit batter, 3 hit batter or 5 hit batter. Just my opinion. Nevertheless . . .

I appreciate all the replies I got from this single post. It is my first time posting since I've found this forum. I think this is a great aid for coaches, umpires, and even players. Keep up the good work.
Old Tue Jul 23, 2002, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:

Thanks for the help.
Just FYI -

Our local Men's Senior Baseball League (28+ Division, 38+ Division, and 48+ Division) has a rule limiting the number of hit by pitches by one pitcher to three in a game. It is meant to reduce the number of beanball incidents, hard feelings, and fights that can arise after a pitcher strikes multiple batters.
Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Local League Rule

Quote:
Originally posted by brandda
Quote:
(In our league's Little League age group, the Infield Fly Rule is waived).
Why?

I've seen some odd ground rules, but never this one. I am curious as to the thinking behind it.
THe purpose of the rule is to prevent a "cheap" double play -- not to give the defense an easy out.

1) At this age level, there are no cheap DPs
2) At this age level, there are no easy outs
3) At this age level, they aren't devious enough to let the ball drop on purpose.
4) At this age level, they aren't smart enough to know what to do after the call, if the ball is dropped.
Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

and...

5) Most of the adults involved don't know/understand
the rule.

(note smiley face)