The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Are there any rules or maybe even laws that prohibit the use of profanity in basketball warm-up music. I attended a high school game last night that warmed-up to Blink 182. Some songs included "Family Reunion" and "13 Miles". You can look up these lyrics, but I assure you they are ranker than any local tavern. Other than a letter writing campaign to the School, League and MHSAA what options does a disgruntled fan have?
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

If a fan came up to me to complain or if I heard the profanity in the music I would most definitely have the music turned off.

I would also have a conversation with the coach and AD about what is appropriate.

Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 11:27am
M.A.S.H.

I would say be careful, just because the songs are played doesn't mean they aren't edited. However, if the unedited song was played then it obvious to me that the school admins aren't very good, which is sad, and two you can have them turn it off. What I would do however is, go to game management and advise him/her, most of the time the players are the ones who make the CDs and they aren't screened or approved by school admins. Let them handle it by changing the track or shutting it off.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by kotsch
Are there any rules or maybe even laws that prohibit the use of profanity in basketball warm-up music. I attended a high school game last night that warmed-up to Blink 182. Some songs included "Family Reunion" and "13 Miles". You can look up these lyrics, but I assure you they are ranker than any local tavern. Other than a letter writing campaign to the School, League and MHSAA what options does a disgruntled fan have?
I am often offended by the warm-up music, as well. I usually just say something to the AD, if it's extreme. My experience is that the management people just aren't paying attention, and the kids chose the music. I don't know if there's a rule, but they've never ignored the situation after I said something. I think it may just need to be brought to their attention, and I don't see why a fan couldn't do that as well as a ref.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Lyrics to the song that got fans from the visiting team out of the stands went like this. Sh** p*ss, f*** c*nt, motherf*****, repeated 4 times before anyone made a move for the pa system. Home team fans didn't even budge from their seats.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a George Carlin song
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Lyrics to the song that got fans from the visiting team out of the stands went like this. Sh** p*ss, f*** c*nt, motherf*****, repeated 4 times before anyone made a move for the pa system. Home team fans didn't even budge from their seats.
I think this is severe enough that it should probably be discussed with the principal. If you are a parent, you should definitely make a stink. This is really quite over the top.

Okay, wait, you were a visitors' fan? You or a parent of a visiting player should talk to your AD or principal about this. Even if the home folks aren't worried about it, the league should have a policy, so that the standards are consistent across the league. What they do in practice is their business, I suppose, although I can't imagine that all the parents are as unconcerned as you make it sound. But there's no way that's acceptable in a game setting.

[Edited by rainmaker on Jan 26th, 2005 at 11:40 AM]
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 11:38am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by Redhouse
Sounds like a George Carlin song
Hey now... I happen to enjoy George's thoughts in the confines of my car!
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 11:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Maybe there is a procedure in your area, but there is no procedure that I am aware of where I live.

I think all you can do is inform the school of the content. It is not unusual that the adults at the school did not make the tape or put the specific songs on the tape. Usually some kid or player did so at the request of the team and the content was not reviewed before it was played. Most adults do not know the lyrics of most modern songs in the first place and really do not pay attention to the content. They hear the beat and ignore the actual content. Not sure outside of that there is much you can do at this time.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Most adults do not know the lyrics of most modern songs in the first place and really do not pay attention to the content.
I have been guilty of this. I help run a basketball tournament each year and one night when I was "in charge" a fan came up to me and said: "Did you hear that?" I said, "Hear what?" The fan repeated some lyrics in a song playing over the PA system and I was shocked. I was in the gym, but I simply never "heard" the lyrics.

I don't know that you really need a "letter writing campaign." A simple telephone call to the athletic director at the school may be all that is necessary. I think the more organized/elaborate campaigns should be saved for situations where, despite knowledge of what is happening, nothing is done. Best wishes.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As Officials not our job. I agree the warm-up music is in poor taste. A letter to the Principal with copies to AD would be appropriate.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

In the pregame for a Catholic school varsity game they were playing AC/DC's Hell's Bells. I thought it was very funny that noone seemed to notice the irony in what was playing.

Here is some of the chorus from the song:

I got my bell, I'm gonna take you to hell
I'm gonna get you, Satan get you

Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Blink 182, one of my favourite bands...I would love to hear this stuff during warmups. It's way better than the crap they usually play. And I believe I know the CD you're talking about. It's the live one, and some might find it pretty offensive, but man is it great music and funny jokes. Although if they were playing one of their newer CD's I would've made them turn it off Talk about a band going downhill
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Tell the person in charge and I'm sure the situation will be taken care of.

I am in charge of censoring the music for our schools middle school dances. I don't have time to check every single song so I warn the DJ's if I hear anything objectionable I will break the CD. If they have a question whether a song is OK or not they should show it to me ahead of time.--Since I told them that I have never had a problem and never had to follow through on the threat. Principal knows my policy and is fine with it.

I learned this strategy from a coach. Years ago when I was coaching at an away game the home players were playing a CD with profanity. My assistant coach
(and AD) mentioned something to the Home school's AD who was embarrased and walked over and smashed the CD.

(If there ever was a problem though I think I might just confiscate the CD, give it to the principal and let him deal with it.)
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oc
Years ago when I was coaching at an away game the home players were playing a CD ...
They had CD's years ago?!