The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

This started in volleyball season. All schools seem to want to play some music before the varsity game. Although I generally don't like the music, its fine with me. One school was playing Marvin Gaye "Let's get it on". That was cool.

Anyway, there is one school that plays this music so loud, that I have to leave the gym. You actually cannot not speak to the person next to you. I would think it probably violates concert legal levels.

I know I will have a basketball game in this gym. I would think I have the capacity to tell them to turn it down a bit.

What is your opinion?
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
This started in volleyball season. All schools seem to want to play some music before the varsity game. Although I generally don't like the music, its fine with me. One school was playing Marvin Gaye "Let's get it on". That was cool.

Anyway, there is one school that plays this music so loud, that I have to leave the gym. You actually cannot not speak to the person next to you. I would think it probably violates concert legal levels.

I know I will have a basketball game in this gym. I would think I have the capacity to tell them to turn it down a bit.

What is your opinion?
I suppose you could request it politely, but I don't think you have the authority to force it. My experience is that the adults aren't paying attention and the inmates are running the asylum. If you bring it to an adult's attention they are usually very accommodating. I've requested once or twice that songs with highly objectionable lyrics be stopped and something a little less inflammatory be used. They usually step to it right away.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Damian

What is your opinion?
I feel your pain. My parents and my grandpa come to some of my games. During player introductions, the music was so loud that I couldn't talk to my partners. I looked up at my parents and they were both covering their ears (along with several other spectators). I might say something next time..... I'm no ear-nose-and-throat expert, but it sure seemed to be loud enough to cause hearing damage. Not quite as loud as that Def Leppard concert (yes, I know I'm revealing my age), but definitely enough to cause ear ringing.

Z

[Edited by zebraman on Dec 17th, 2004 at 10:37 AM]
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

I hear ya! {what}. In many HS gyms around here the decibel levels seem to have increased from last year.

As an official, if I hear derogatory or profanity laden lyrics during warmups I DO go to the AD and tell her that it is not acceptable to play that type of music. I would not allow profanity during the coarse of the game and my jurisdiction begins when I hit that floor.

As for the volume level, well it may be difficult to control the crowd yelling but I certainly can [/u]request [/u]that the music be turned down a notch since that can be manually adjusted. Whether the AD is sympathetic to my personal plea to save my hearing may not always be met with understanding.

Now, as a spectator, I could consider logging a complaint with the AD, Principal, or Board depending on how serious I wanted to make a stand. Parents' concerns tend to get attention if they are presented constructively (or with threats of legal action which would not surprise me).
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

First time I encountered this I went out to my truck & grabbed a set of disposable foam ear plugs (I do a lot of work in industrial facilities & keep a supply on hand). Now I keep a couple sets in my gear bag & slide one into my jacket pocket before heading out for pre-game warmups. If it gets too loud I put them in - no way I'm going to sacrifice my hearing.

Once the game starts, it's no longer an issue. You can pick them up at any industrial or safety supply, or places like Home Depot & Lowes.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

i worked a boys jv game last year with a younger official, the home school was playing loud music that i was not paying much attention too. my partner asked me if i knew what they lyrics were to the song the school was playing, in which i didnt. he proceeded to tell me some very expliced sexual lyrics they were singing. a co-worker the following day after the game asked how the game went( he has two daughters that go to this school)i told him it was a good game but i didnt care for the pre game music. well to shorten this story he recieved apology from the principal on down to the coach for the inpropriate music that was allowed to play, seems they had no idea as i what type of music and lyrics they were letting the students play.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 04:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Your authority begins when you enter the court area. If the music is so loud, you cannot communicate with the table personnel or your partner (both of which comes under the requirements of your job) then you are within your purview to request it be turned down. If they don't comply, take the table personnel out in the hall and talk to them there. They'll get the hint. If they don't start Teeing them up.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

I did a jr. high boys game last week. They were playing a CD that I know the parents, coaches, or principal hadn't listened to. It's a conservative little community with conservative people. The lyrics weren't total raunch, but they weren't exactly polite, either. I plan to mention something to school board member in a questioning manner... "Did you realize what they are warming up to?" Then let them decide.
Yes my authority begins when I enter the court, but it isn't my school. I'm there to focus on the game. T'ing them up over the music seems to be too much of a "cop of the court" mentality. Just make the request and give them the chance to comply.
And, if bad music causes me to give a T. I'm afraid some of the school bands I've heard would have to get hit with flagrant foul.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 07:40pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Great thread.

I ask to have the volume turned down.

If necessary, I do it myself. No-one is going to turn it back up.