Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Pulling My Hair Out Slowly, Press Wrong Again

Guys,

I don't know what to say.

I did a small school HS tournament game yesterday, it was an easy game, no problems, home team scored twice to win the game in the 7th. While I checking equipment before the game there was this guy in the dugout, he was a reporter for a local paper. I introduced myself and my partner, and said if you need anything, let me know. Since we did not have any PA, I made it a point to find him and announce subs to him during the game as I call out to a dugout.

Thought everything was fine until I read the paper today.....

Here is the sit: Tying R3 winning R1, 1 out in 7th. Foul tip caught (no kidding) by F2, R1 steals 2B. Some fan yells out "Hey that's a foul ball, he's gotta go back". So, R1 starts walking back to 1B . F2 doesn't throw the ball and then R1 decides he should go back to 2B.

Some guy is yelling about it, and F2 turns and shouts "I caught the ball, he can run."

Everything is okay right?

http://www.athensmessenger.com/main....ArticleID=3458

"During Josh McCoy's at-bat, Barrett took off for second base on the pitch that was tipped back into catcher Tyler Stiles' glove. Barrett should have been sent back to first on the foul ball but the play stood and the 'Cats had the go-ahead runner in scoring position. McCoy would strike out on the next pitch, bringing senior Jack Craig to the plate."

Has this ever happened to you?

This is like 4 or five times over the years when a reporter writes that I blew a call, when it is a simple fundamental of baseball he missed. Drives me nuts, all he has to do is ask me about it after the game if he is not sure about it. At least he didn't use my name.

UGH.

Last edited by jkumpire; Tue May 08, 2007 at 05:15pm.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 05:20pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire
Guys,

I did a small school HS tournament game yesterday, it was an easy game, no problems, home team scored twice to win the game in the 7th. While I checking equipment before the game there was this guy in the dugout, he was a reporter for a local paper. I introduced myself and my partner, and said if you need anything, let me know. Since we did not have any PA, I made it a point to find him and announce subs to him during the game as I call out to a dugout.

Here is the sit: Tying R3 winning R1, 1 out in 7th. Foul tip caught (no kidding) by F2, R1 steals 2B. Some fan yells out "Hey that's a foul ball, he's gotta go back". So, R1 starts walking back to 1B . F2 doesn't throw the ball and then R1 decides he should go back to 2B.

Some guy is yelling about it, and F2 turns and shouts "I caught the ball, he can run."

"During Josh McCoy's at-bat, Barrett took off for second base on the pitch that was tipped back into catcher Tyler Stiles' glove. Barrett should have been sent back to first on the foul ball but the play stood and the 'Cats had the go-ahead runner in scoring position. McCoy would strike out on the next pitch, bringing senior Jack Craig to the plate."

This is like 4 or five times over the years when a reporter writes that I blew a call, when it is a simple fundamental of baseball he missed. Drives me nuts, all he has to do is ask me about it after the game if he is not sure about it. At least he didn't use my name.

UGH.
Why would you announce them to a reporter? It's not his job to make sure the official scorer as them, it's yours.

I also wouldn't advise talking to a reporter after the game if he as something to ask you.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Good question

Your answers:

1. When I did the game, the official scorer is the home team book. The press reporter was sitting in a room with open windows right above the home team dugout. It was no problem to make sure he knew who was in the game, I just told him at the same I told the home team, and said to him "got it?" got an ok back, no problem.

If there is no press box or official scorer for the press guy to have access to, it seems to me to be common courtesy to let a media guy know what is going on. If it does not cause me any problem, and I can do it easily in the conduct of the game, why not? It's a favor for a guy writing a game report on kids who do not get much pub.

(Earlier this year, I did a game that was on radio. they were sitting next to a dugout, and asked me if i could make sure they get subs that are replaced between innings. I did it when it was convenient to do so, I don't see anything wrong about it. I've done it before, no problem.)

I had also told the reporter before the game we can't comment on the game for him. But frankly, if he is that confused on a foul tip vs. foul ball, I'd rather help him understand the difference than see his mistake in print the next day.

I know what "no comment" is, having used it before in similar situations when asked. It's just frustrating to know that what he wrote might cause another umpire trouble in a future game.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Guys,

UGH.
Write him a note with the correct rules that apply. Had the same problem last season with a local paper and had to correct the record.

I sent them the correct rules and low and behold the next week they printed a correction.

Thansk
David
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
My philosophy about dealings with the press is simple, "they can't use what you don't say against you".

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Here's the reporter's e-mail address.

[email protected]

We could all flood his e-mail box with the correct ruling. Then I'll bet he gets it right next time!
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump

[email protected]

We could all flood his e-mail box with the correct ruling. Then I'll bet he gets it right next time!

...that's a bit overkill.

one from the inolved umpire should be plenty
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump

[email protected]

I have emailed him.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Reporters need to be in dead ball territory for the entire game and I would not give any more attention than any other fan, unless they don't get out of the dugout.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
I have emailed him.
The email provided did not work.
Old Sun May 13, 2007, 01:06pm
Broadcaster

Quote:

(Earlier this year, I did a game that was on radio. they were sitting next to a dugout, and asked me if i could make sure they get subs that are replaced between innings. I did it when it was convenient to do so, I don't see anything wrong about it. I've done it before, no problem.)
I think I'll do that Wednesday. I'm doing radio for a high school baseball team and I've always just left the umps alone. Since we are RIGHT behind home plate, I just let them do their jobs without asking them for anything. Thanks.