View Single Post
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Good question

Your answers:

1. When I did the game, the official scorer is the home team book. The press reporter was sitting in a room with open windows right above the home team dugout. It was no problem to make sure he knew who was in the game, I just told him at the same I told the home team, and said to him "got it?" got an ok back, no problem.

If there is no press box or official scorer for the press guy to have access to, it seems to me to be common courtesy to let a media guy know what is going on. If it does not cause me any problem, and I can do it easily in the conduct of the game, why not? It's a favor for a guy writing a game report on kids who do not get much pub.

(Earlier this year, I did a game that was on radio. they were sitting next to a dugout, and asked me if i could make sure they get subs that are replaced between innings. I did it when it was convenient to do so, I don't see anything wrong about it. I've done it before, no problem.)

I had also told the reporter before the game we can't comment on the game for him. But frankly, if he is that confused on a foul tip vs. foul ball, I'd rather help him understand the difference than see his mistake in print the next day.

I know what "no comment" is, having used it before in similar situations when asked. It's just frustrating to know that what he wrote might cause another umpire trouble in a future game.