View Single Post
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Pulling My Hair Out Slowly, Press Wrong Again

Guys,

I don't know what to say.

I did a small school HS tournament game yesterday, it was an easy game, no problems, home team scored twice to win the game in the 7th. While I checking equipment before the game there was this guy in the dugout, he was a reporter for a local paper. I introduced myself and my partner, and said if you need anything, let me know. Since we did not have any PA, I made it a point to find him and announce subs to him during the game as I call out to a dugout.

Thought everything was fine until I read the paper today.....

Here is the sit: Tying R3 winning R1, 1 out in 7th. Foul tip caught (no kidding) by F2, R1 steals 2B. Some fan yells out "Hey that's a foul ball, he's gotta go back". So, R1 starts walking back to 1B . F2 doesn't throw the ball and then R1 decides he should go back to 2B.

Some guy is yelling about it, and F2 turns and shouts "I caught the ball, he can run."

Everything is okay right?

http://www.athensmessenger.com/main....ArticleID=3458

"During Josh McCoy's at-bat, Barrett took off for second base on the pitch that was tipped back into catcher Tyler Stiles' glove. Barrett should have been sent back to first on the foul ball but the play stood and the 'Cats had the go-ahead runner in scoring position. McCoy would strike out on the next pitch, bringing senior Jack Craig to the plate."

Has this ever happened to you?

This is like 4 or five times over the years when a reporter writes that I blew a call, when it is a simple fundamental of baseball he missed. Drives me nuts, all he has to do is ask me about it after the game if he is not sure about it. At least he didn't use my name.

UGH.

Last edited by jkumpire; Tue May 08, 2007 at 05:15pm.