The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

Head Protection

Ok I know this has been beaten up here forever but I need to discuss this with maybe a different spin. Last week I had a game where the backstop was 5 feet behind me and I could jump and touch the overhang (I guess about 10 feet high). I was a nervous wreck all night. It was a HS JV game and the pitcher was throwing in the low 80's I was told. Anyway the damn ball's were jumping off the backstop all night. I never got wacked but was close a couple of times.
So last night I tried a friends HSM and I didn't really like it but I did feel safer in it. I was wondering has anyone ever used a skull cap under thier mask??? I have never seen an Umpire wear one but I guess it would offer more protection??? I really want to address the protection issue but really don't think the hocky style mask will work for me unless maybe I used the wroung one last night it was a nike mask hsm. Thanks in advance
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

I have one field I work at that is a small field, LL Majors, that has a concrete backstop without any kind of padding. I have a HSM and the traditional mask. At this field I wear the HSM. Unfortunately it doesn't help any other unprotected parts, but I haven't been hit too often, just even too tense up on every passed ball or foul ball.