The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Skunk Question

I have no intention of opening another can of worms, but have a question regarding the skunk in the outfield play. I've never seen this play tried and I know that the runner "makes their own base path, however:

If the defense decides they are going to "go after" the runner in RF, at what point is the runner considered "out of the baseline to avoid a tag".

Say the pitcher tosses the ball the the second baseman, who then runs to the outfield to tag the runner. If the runner then heads for center field, are they now out of the baseline? What if they cut toward the foul line?
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
As soon as the defense makes a play on the runner his basepath is established from where he is to his advance or retreat base. So, if in your play F4 runs at R1 with the ball, R1's basepath must be in a direct line to either first or second base.

Tim.