The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
We are umpires who are asked to administer the rules according to the leagues we service.

Who cares if a state mandates the use of face protectors or not. Will it change how we umpire? Will the games last longer because of this new change?

Therefore, how is this just bad, bad, bad

IMO, it's no different than any other change the FED put in place. Ie; the FPSR, bat restrictions, etc.

IMO, the only ones who should care are the players that will have to wear them as it might effect them hitting but that awaits to be seen.

As far as I am concerned, it might add an extra couple of minutes when checking equipment because we will probably have to make certain that the face protector has the proper LOGO etc. on it. If it's part of a "combo" then it will probably not add any extra time checking equipment. Other than that it's play ball.

If the FED put in some kind of rule/regulation that added an extra 1/2 hour to the game then I would care.

Pete Booth
It's concern for the game in general, Pete, not just caring about what personally affects us.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue
As for the time outer's, that would be baby boomer Dr. Spock. From what I've seen, I would have to say, it doesn't work. Now my dad's belt... that worked very well!
What a load.

First, Dr. Benjamin Spock was not a baby boomer. He was born May 2, 1903, forty some years before the beginning of the "baby boom".

Second, most of the things that he was blamed for were actually created by his critics who exaggerated his message and ideas.

Dr. Spocks primary message was to mothers: "you know more than you think you do."

His secondary message was that children need affection and should be treated as individuals. He did not dismiss the need for discipline, rather he suggested that it be balanced with positive attention. He disproved the notion that picking up a crying baby would, by itself, create a spoild child.

Unfortunately, what most people today know of Dr. Spock comes from critics repeating handed down myths instead of from reading his work.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, what most people today know of Dr. Spock comes from critics repeating handed down myths instead of from reading his work.

That's quite true. For some reason, many people think that Dr. Spock advocated a lenient, touchy-feely approach to child-rearing. He did not by any means. It might be that because of his opposition to the Vietnam war, as well as the fact that many kids seemed out of control, people assumed that he was some sort of ultra-liberal airhead. So Dr. Spock has wrongly become symbolic of ideas with which he would certainly disagree.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

thanks guys, I'll remember that. I stand corrected.