The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 13, 2007, 01:28pm
Broadcaster

Honoring Jackie Robinson

From the NY Times:

Sixty years after Jackie Robinson shook the baseball establishment and broke the sport’s color barrier, an unforeseen grassroots movement by today’s players has suddenly shaped the way Major League Baseball will commemorate the anniversary. More than 200 players will wear Robinson’s No. 42 retired by baseball 10 years ago in ballparks across the country on Sunday, the anniversary of Robinson’s first appearance with the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947.

While the tribute has received baseball’s approval, it grew spontaneously from a request by the Cincinnati Reds’ Ken Griffey Jr., who asked Commissioner Bud Selig earlier this month if he could wear the number on April 15. What has evolved since is surprisingly organic for a group of famous, feted athletes with multimillion-dollar contracts.

As word of Griffey’s gesture spread, small groups of players — among them stars like Barry Bonds, Dontrelle Willis and Gary Sheffield — decided also to wear 42 that day. Soon, there was a representative from every team. The Los Angeles Dodgers then decided to have their entire roster wear 42.

Now, there are six major league teams that plan to have everyone in uniform wearing No. 42 — players, coaches, manager and bat boys. Those teams are the Dodgers, the St. Louis Cardinals, the Pittsburgh Pirates, the Philadelphia Phillies, the Milwaukee Brewers and the Houston Astros.

And the number of jerseys having a new 42 sewn onto the back remains fluid, but seems to be increasing by the day.

Baseball had planned events commemorating the 60th anniversary at every ballpark this year, even before the ad hoc initiative to wear Robinson’s number began. The plans were not as elaborate as those for the 50th anniversary, when President Bill Clinton and Rachel Robinson, Jackie Robinson’s widow, appeared in a ceremony in the middle of a game at Shea Stadium. But commemorations were scheduled in some cities, including Los Angeles and New York.

The Phillies are among the teams that will have the entire roster wearing No. 42. The team made the decision to do so after a players’ meeting last week.

No player on any team wearing a No. 42 will have a name on the jersey above the number.
The jerseys will be authenticated by Major League Baseball after Sunday’s games and most will be auctioned off for charity.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I imagine substitutions would be tough for umpires and broadcasters alike. "42 in for 42."

Thoughts about honoring Robinson aside, what are your thoughts about the way some teams are going about it. Is having an entire roster of #42s without names on the back a good idea from an umpiring standpoint?
Old Fri Apr 13, 2007, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg

Thoughts about honoring Robinson aside, what are your thoughts about the way some teams are going about it. Is having an entire roster of #42s without names on the back a good idea from an umpiring standpoint?
In the games we work it would be a little hard to police, but I'm sure MLB will do just fine with it.

Tim.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2007, 02:07pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I figure if the other teams want to jump on the PR bandwagon so be it...they'll make it work...most of the umpires know many of the players anyway...
Old Fri Apr 13, 2007, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Once again Griffey shows more class then the average major leaguer. Now if he can just stay healthy.

As for difficulity on the field, I don't think they will have any problems for a day. Easy line up card... Skipper... that's 42 for 42 in the three hole correct... thanks

Last edited by justanotherblue; Fri Apr 13, 2007 at 02:20pm.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2007, 03:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

I bet there are instructions from the umpires on how to deal with this issue over all. I am sure there will not be any problems at all.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Equipment Costs

Back in my day, not Jackie's, a MLB baseball glove cost about $40, and NFL football cost about $40, and an NBA basketball cost about $100. It was much cheaper to throw the ball around in the yard than to find a basketball court or football field where we were allowed to run around and play.

Deion and Bo chose football over baseball. What was the name of that guy who chose baseball over football? Today, a good outdoor football cost about $24, a good outdoor basketball cost about $40, and a good baseball glove costs about $150. Anybody wondering why anyone would blame our society on the declining numbers of quality black baseball athletes?
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Anybody wondering why anyone would blame our society on the declining numbers of quality black baseball athletes?
I don't think there are many people who are wondering this.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 11:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I don't think there are many people who are wondering this.
Not trying to be funny Bob, but there are many people wondering this. It has been talked about for years in the wake of what Jackie Robinson did in baseball. Also this conversation was elevated because of the anniversary of Jackie. I know Major League Baseball has been trying to develop a program to go to many urban areas to help youth baseball programs that would (in their opinion) develop Black baseball players. I personally feel their efforts are pointed in the wrong direction, but that is my opinion. Maybe you are not aware of this, but many people are concerned about this issue.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 11:41am

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg
I imagine substitutions would be tough for umpires and broadcasters alike. "42 in for 42."

In a MLB game, the umpires know who the players are. They report, and are listed, on the batting order card by name.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Not trying to be funny Bob, but there are many people wondering this. It has been talked about for years in the wake of what Jackie Robinson did in baseball. Also this conversation was elevated because of the anniversary of Jackie. I know Major League Baseball has been trying to develop a program to go to many urban areas to help youth baseball programs that would (in their opinion) develop Black baseball players. I personally feel their efforts are pointed in the wrong direction, but that is my opinion. Maybe you are not aware of this, but many people are concerned about this issue.

Peace
Jeff:

I think you misread Bob's intent. He wasn't saying it's not a concern. I believe he was responding that not many are "wondering" about the issue, instead they "know" the issue.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 12:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Jeff:

I think you misread Bob's intent. He wasn't saying it's not a concern. I believe he was responding that not many are "wondering" about the issue, instead they "know" the issue.
I think if people knew the answer they would do more to alleviate the "problem." I personally do not see this as a "problem." I think it is the natural evolution of things. There was one time when baseball was the main sport in this country. Now baseball has fallen big time where hardly anyone watches a national broadcast anymore as they did when I was young. It also does not help when one of the most dynamic athletes was not a baseball player and many of the up and coming athletes that everyone knows are also not baseball players.

There was a story on ESPN last week about the Historically Black Colleges which focused on Florida schools like Bethune-Cookman (I have a cousin attending there this year) and Florida A&M (My mom got her undergraduate degree as did her sister and her widowed husband) where the baseball teams hardly had a many Black players on the teams. There was even some coverage of a mostly Black High School where the football and basketball teams were entirely Black but the baseball teams had only a couple of Black players. Now the subjects in those stories did not have any definitive answers, so I do not know how anyone has figured out this problem.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Jeff:

This time the miscommunication is my fault. I didn't mean to suggest that Bob or anyone knew the answer.

What I should have said is:

I believe he was responding that not many are "wondering" if there is an issue, instead they "know" there is an issue.

GB
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Jeff:

This time the miscommunication is my fault. I didn't mean to suggest that Bob or anyone knew the answer.

What I should have said is:

I believe he was responding that not many are "wondering" if there is an issue, instead they "know" there is an issue.

GB
Actually, I was responding to a literal reading of SA's words -- I don't think many are wondering why anyone would blame our society ON the declining number of black baseball players. In fact, I don't think anyone is blaming society ON the decline.

Now, some might wonder, or blame, society FOR the decline.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 01:22pm
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I think if people knew the answer they would do more to alleviate the "problem." I personally do not see this as a "problem." I think it is the natural evolution of things. There was one time when baseball was the main sport in this country. Now baseball has fallen big time where hardly anyone watches a national broadcast anymore as they did when I was young. It also does not help when one of the most dynamic athletes was not a baseball player and many of the up and coming athletes that everyone knows are also not baseball players.

There was a story on ESPN last week about the Historically Black Colleges which focused on Florida schools like Bethune-Cookman (I have a cousin attending there this year) and Florida A&M (My mom got her undergraduate degree as did her sister and her widowed husband) where the baseball teams hardly had a many Black players on the teams. There was even some coverage of a mostly Black High School where the football and basketball teams were entirely Black but the baseball teams had only a couple of Black players. Now the subjects in those stories did not have any definitive answers, so I do not know how anyone has figured out this problem.

Peace
I think you have a lot of societal dynamics changing.
- TV exposure - in the 60's it was almost exclusively baseball; the NBA was only about 10 teams, the NFL was only about a dozen, and hadn't merged with the AFL. Kids played around on the sandlot in the summer. The number of opportunities was smaller. Fathers played catch and tried to teach some of the finer points.
- Today, there are more outlets - between baseball, basketball and football you have some 90+ teams. The focus is no longer on baseball. In the last 20 years there has been a great influx of latin players, a lot of whom get the benefit of playing year round. This influx has reduced the number of open spots.
- Players - the emergence of Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Charles Barkley, LeBron James, Shaq, and others as people that other's want to be just like has gravitated more towards basketball. The same applies to football. By comparison to a lot of people, baseball may seem boring with not enough action or excitement. Baseball is not the kind of sport where players butt helmets, do funky dances after a score, spike the ball, that kind of thing. About the most you see is a high five. No glamour
- Free agency - Baseball is no longer the only place you can make a lot of money or sign lucrative endorsement deals.
- Entertainment value - Baseball is too sedate by comparison to be "entertaining" despite the fact that I love it. People gravitate to what they see as fun and entertaining.
- Demographics and society in general - go anywhere in the US and try to find a pickup game of baseball. Everybody has other activities, parents work, a lot of single parent homes. When I was 16 we used to be able to get enough guys in the neighborhood for two full 9-player teams. Now you're lucky if you can get 5 kids from the same neighborhood to do anything, except maybe basketball where there is usually at least one court in the surrounding blocks. For whatever reason, it's not that there aren't talented black baseball players out there, I'm just not sure that there are enough that are interested in pursuing it as a career. As a kid growing up in suburban Chicago, I didn't go to school with one black student until I was in high school, and the one that did played basketball, and he was a starter and very popular. I used to come home from school and watch the end of Cubs games. There was a lot of black players then, but as a kid I was only concerned with whether the Cubs won. Now, still in the suburbs, my 16 year old son goes to a US Department of Education Blue Ribbon high school that is somewhere between 30% and 40% minority. His closest male friends are one black, two hispanic, one Egyptian, and three white.

When it comes right down to it - kids have so many more choices. As long as the demographics of the US continue to change, the make-up of players in any sport will continue to evolve. When, if ever, it will level off, who knows.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 01:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
When it comes right down to it - kids have so many more choices. As long as the demographics of the US continue to change, the make-up of players in any sport will continue to evolve. When, if ever, it will level off, who knows.
I am in my mid-30s. When I was a kid we played sports in the back yard before we even played any organized sports. We did this almost every night after school when the weather was good. I played varsity sports in baseball, basketball and football. We did not have AAU and travel baseball as it is today. Even if we did not play organized sports, we played different variations of sports. I also grew up playing a lot of video games. I owned an Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Commodore 64, Nintendo Entertainment System (the original), and a Sega Genesis. I still own a Playstation (original), Playstation 2, XBOX and I have a XBOX 360. The games have gotten more realistic and lifelike and I think kids play those much more than I did when I was a kid. When I played Atari Football on my Atari 2600, the NFL did not endorse the product and the players and football was a couple of dots on a screen. And if you look historically at the one sport that has had the worst video games it happens to be baseball. Madden Football is an institution and if nothing else players that know little about everything about a real football player, they know a lot about their video game counterpart. So the kids that might be talented to play baseball, regardless of their race and class choose not to.

Even in the ESPN story one of the HS players said, "It is not seen as cool to play baseball." And that fact that we know more about OJ Mayo as a HS player than any top baseball prospect is very telling to the overall sports culture. OJ Mayo was not recruited to go to USC, but he just told them he was coming. This story made SportsCenter. Even they way recruiting are covered in football and basketball is totally different. I have no idea who is even thought of as a top prospect in baseball.

Over all baseball has done a terrible job of marketing their sport to kids and MLB keep hanging their hat on "We are the National Pastime." Then the sport and its fans focus too much on the past and players that are seen as much better than today's athletes. Baseball wants to believe that no one can hit 500 homeruns except Frank Robinson, Babe Ruth or Hank Aaron. No wonder kids today have no interest in this sport.

Peace