The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Questionable play, wrong umpire

What do you do when the coach argues about a play (no call) that is not in your jurisdiction?

Examples would be:

You are BU. A catch/no catch outside the "v" or a runner's lane violation.

The gut reaction is to say "that's not my call," since it really isn't, but i don't feel comfortable "passing the buck" to my partner and it seems like it would make you look bad. At the same time, how could you comment on a play that you didn't see (or briefly saw and had a terrible look at)?

What would you guys do in this situation?

Thanks!
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
What do you do when the coach argues about a play (no call) that is not in your jurisdiction?

Examples would be:

The gut reaction is to say "that's not my call," since it really isn't, but i don't feel comfortable "passing the buck" to my partner and it seems like it would make you look bad. At the same time, how could you comment on a play that you didn't see (or briefly saw and had a terrible look at)?

Thanks!
Covered in pregame. If the coach is that dumb, the umpire who owns the call, tells him,"That's my call, coach."
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
If we're working together and a coach starts to talk/discuss/argue one of my calls with you I'd expect you to tell him exactly that, "Coach, that's not my call." You should follow by telling him that if he wants to discuss the call he should see me. If he continues to complain to YOU, then YOU show him the exit.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72

Examples would be:

Thanks!
"Coach, I cannot help you! You need to go to the gentleman who made the call. He is the only one that you can talk to."

This is not passing the buck, this is directing the coach properly. Only the umpire that made the call can discuss the call with the manager. Now if my partner, needs help, he will come to me - alone (in other words, without the coach)! This is discussed in the pre-game so there shouldn't be a problem.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Maybe its my pro training, but I tell the coach to "keep walking" over to my partner. Its not passing the buck...its having respect for your partner that he's a good enough umpire to handle his own "non-routine situations."
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
If we're working together and a coach starts to talk/discuss/argue one of my calls with you I'd expect you to tell him exactly that, "Coach, that's not my call." You should follow by telling him that if he wants to discuss the call he should see me. If he continues to complain to YOU, then YOU show him the exit.
Wow it always amazes me how quick a toss finger some people have. Throwing out a coach is NOT a badge of honor! Coaches need to be able to question calls. Don't take it personally, unless they make it person.

The most respected umpires in my area have thick skin. They don't take profanity or personal attacks, but simply arguing a call won't make them toss a coach. The more experience you get at umpiring, the less likely you are to toss people. My first year, I probably tossed 8 coaches. Now that I've matured I average less than one a year.

I'd be willing to bet that most of the "quick toss" comments on this board are made by guys that simply want to sound tough, but are all talk.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump
Wow it always amazes me how quick a toss finger some people have. Throwing out a coach is NOT a badge of honor! Coaches need to be able to question calls. Don't take it personally, unless they make it person.
That's simply not true. Coaches don't have the right to question calls, they only have the right to ask about a rules interpretation.

A good umpire doesn't explain his decisions to any one - especially a dumb coach. If a coach comes to me and its my partners call, then I tell him, "Coach, let me ask my partner, that was his call."

And I personally will go to the other umpire and ask. IMO that lets the coach know that he doesn't understand how umpires work. If the coach asks, then I might tell him that I was watching etc., and my partner has the ______ on that play.

Example, check swing and my partner says he didn't go. Coach comes to me, then I will tell him if you would like to talk with my partner go ahead, he made the call."

Another is a missed base, seems the coach always thinks its the BU who watches all the bases- Ugh!

Thanks
David
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
If a coach comes to me and its my partners call, then I tell him, "Coach, let me ask my partner, that was his call."

And I personally will go to the other umpire and ask.

Why would you carry a coach's water for him? Just say, "coach, that's my partner's call, ask him." No need to be rude (initially ) , but send the coach to the source, not an intermediary.

I've never seen an umpire act as a coach's representative, the entire idea is foreign to me.

I'm not going to deliver a coach's question/argument to my partner....if the coach wants an attorney, he can go find one in the Yellow Pages.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:

The most respected umpires in my area have thick skin. They don't take profanity or personal attacks, but simply arguing a call won't make them toss a coach. The more experience you get at umpiring, the less likely you are to toss people. My first year, I probably tossed 8 coaches. Now that I've matured I average less than one a year.

I'd be willing to bet that most of the "quick toss" comments on this board are made by guys that simply want to sound tough, but are all talk.
Blueump - 18 years and probably about 12 ejections. Am I too quick with the thumb???

"If he continues to complain to YOU, then YOU show him the exit."

I'll stand by that statement - you've already told the coach that he had to talk to your partner about your partner's call; still he continues to complain to you about the call. Are you going to say "pretty please"?

Eight ejections in your first year and you're commenting on how quickly others toss a coach??? Maybe you should share your secret with me.

Last edited by waltjp; Fri Mar 30, 2007 at 10:18am.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 10:18am
rei

Yeah, I just send them to the right guy.

There is no way I will ever play go-between for the coach and my partner. I am not asking my partner anything for the coach!

This whole quick ejection thing. If I had a penny for ever guy who brags about not ejecting many, who in reality should be ejecting more often, I could afford a plate jacket! Indeed, I eject less now than I did earlier in my career, but once a coach has stepped over the line he is gone.

Set the bar high, but when they go over it, book 'em!!!

Anybody here trying out that Verbal Judo stuff on coaches?
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 10:20am
Stop staring at me swan.

Depends on the coach and how much you're willing to take from a coach...personally, I'm not going to change my call unless it's an incorrect rule interpretation or something of that nature...otherwise...as a coach, most don't know the rules anyway...and i'm not going to let a coach grandstand and try to show me or my partner up on the field. I'll let him say his piece and if it becomes personal, prolonged, or profane...I'll show him the door...I don't keep track of how many tosses I have...the best I can say is...not too many...I handle each situation as it's own entity...even if I have a history with a coach...if somebody questions my partner and it's my call, we cover this in our pregame...to direct the coach to the proper umpire...
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
Anybody here trying out that Verbal Judo stuff on coaches?

No, but I went to a "12-Step Program for Type-A Personalities" course once. In an hour we had it down to 6.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 10:57am
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
No, but I went to a "12-Step Program for Type-A Personalities" course once. In an hour we had it down to 6.
Hehe...

I have not really had an situations yet this year to try it in baseball. I have used it in soccer many times, and it works wonderfully!
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 11:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Gee, I had 12 ejections 3 years ago. Must've been a bad umpire that year. I only had two a year later. I must've improved. Whoops, 9 last season, must've been a bad umpire last year.

I don't control other's behavior. My line doesn't move.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Delaware Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I don't control other's behavior. My line doesn't move.
Some years it's quiet and other years I think there's something in the water (or Gatorade). What's the old saying? "We don't eject coaches (or players). They eject themselves. We just remind them of their decision and tell them when it's time to leave."