The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Out or safe? Video Play

http://www.bullochheadlinenews.com/i...y baseball.wmv

I want to discuss the play at the 1:45 mark. But first, a little background.

This was my first Varsity game, and a rivalry--these two teams are always the top two in their region from what I've heard. I thought I did a pretty good job behind the plate. If you veterans see anything on the clip (granted they don't highlight the umpires) that you pick up that I do that is incorrect, let me know.

My base umpire had strained his calf earlier in the game so I was taking everything at third except for steals. So on the play in question, I was cheating towards third. Once I realized we were about to have a play at the plate, I busted my chops and got as close as I could.

Well, close wasn't good enough. As you can tell when the play happens, I'm not even in the screen until I make my call (I came to a complete stop when I realized the tag was eminent). Having to cover third had me in what I feel was a terrible position.

My question for you guys is, if I hadn't had to cover third as much, where do you feel proper positioning would have been on the play? I think right behind home plate would have left me a pretty good angle to tell if there was indeed a tag, and if the tag was before the runner scored.

The camera angle is not great, I know. But after further review, I believe the runner was probably out.

Discuss amongst yourselves, and thanks.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

I can't get your link to work. Are you sure it's correct? Any other suggestions on how to access this page?
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

You did what you had to do. It looks like you got close enough and you saw the play and made the call. The video is not in the right place to second guess you. Besides, the White team pretty much sucks on defense so it's not your fault! I think that it was a great job of covering for your partner.

Regards
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

It really should work fine. Works fine for me. If not, go to this site:

www.bullochheadlinenews.com And on the right side it should have a sports section. Click on Portal falls to Calvary 10-3 or on the "See video" link under the story.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Other than being out of position because your partner was hurt, I also noticed you signal out with your left hand. Also, your head looked like it was on a needle--way to much movement. Just some constructive criticism for you. Was your partner hurt during that game. Maybe he should have given that game back if he new he was hurt. Did you have a ball bag on? I couldn't see one.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingswinger
Other than being out of position because your partner was hurt, I also noticed you signal out with your left hand. Also, your head looked like it was on a needle--way to much movement. Just some constructive criticism for you. Was your partner hurt during that game. Maybe he should have given that game back if he new he was hurt. Did you have a ball bag on? I couldn't see one.
He was hurt in the third inning. Yes, had a ball bag.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Linkee no workee. I think my office has a filter for any news from South Georgia
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthGARef
He was hurt in the third inning. Yes, had a ball bag.
You have the ball bag on to far forward. Move it back one belt loop. It should be on your side not the front.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Yea... on that swinging 3rd strike, what was that strike 3 and/or out call you did with your left hand? NEVER call a strike or an out with your left hand.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellsjc
NEVER call a strike or an out with your left hand.

Unless you don't have a right hand.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 01:59pm
Stop staring at me swan.

then you wouldn't be signaling anything with your left hand because you don't have one...is shooting a person that's already dead qualify as killing a person...nope...therefore, how could you signal with a hand that you didn't have. sorry...typically i'm not the splitting hairs type on this board...sorry Rich...I'm done. I know what point you're making...just felt like being difficult for one post today...
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Your partner was in C to start that play. I'd have only taken third when he was in A or B. What's the point in him moving to C if he wasn't going to take the call?
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 02:10pm
Stop staring at me swan.

on a throw from left field you could potentially be on 3rd base line extended...the book will tell you to start from the apex of the plate and work FBE or TBE (1st base extended/3rd base extended) depending upon where the throw is coming from. that being said, you made it sound a lot worse in your post than it really was...also..it didn't appear that you were wearing a belt and if you were, was it black? your position in the slot looked pretty good...your head height looked pretty good too...don't beat yourself up to bad...you did what you had to do to help your partner...just try to get better each game which is what we're all trying to do...read the rules, learn the rules, ask questions, be open to suggestions, and be willing to learn which it appears you're doing by coming on here in the first place. keep working hard.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Yea, the belt I had on was brown. I had forgotten my black belt that day. Oops. Also realize I had the bag on too far forward.

I see the deal with the left hand. Our assigner has told us a good signal to use on a dropped third strike is to point at the batter instead of just an "out" signal. And since the batter was to my left, I used my left hand. However, on this play and on a lot of caught third strikes where I would have called the pitch a ball, I've been pointing even though the ball was caught. It's definitely something I need to correct, a bad mechanic that comes with inexperience. Hopefully I can correct it before it becomes a habit.

I'm not beating myself up, I just wanted to see where you guys thought the ideal position would be for this particular play.

Thanks for the input.

Todd
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 03:58pm
rei

Todd, along with the head movement, the left hand signal, it looks like you might be working a little too far back, and too high! In addition, it appears that you body is not squared up to the pitcher. You looked like you were slightly shifted to look into the zone.

I would suggest working a little closer to the catcher, spreading your feet out much farther, and getting squared up to the pitcher!

Tell your partner that he is not a bird, and that safe calls should be done at shoulder height, not above his head!