View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 28, 2007, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Out or safe? Video Play

http://www.bullochheadlinenews.com/i...y baseball.wmv

I want to discuss the play at the 1:45 mark. But first, a little background.

This was my first Varsity game, and a rivalry--these two teams are always the top two in their region from what I've heard. I thought I did a pretty good job behind the plate. If you veterans see anything on the clip (granted they don't highlight the umpires) that you pick up that I do that is incorrect, let me know.

My base umpire had strained his calf earlier in the game so I was taking everything at third except for steals. So on the play in question, I was cheating towards third. Once I realized we were about to have a play at the plate, I busted my chops and got as close as I could.

Well, close wasn't good enough. As you can tell when the play happens, I'm not even in the screen until I make my call (I came to a complete stop when I realized the tag was eminent). Having to cover third had me in what I feel was a terrible position.

My question for you guys is, if I hadn't had to cover third as much, where do you feel proper positioning would have been on the play? I think right behind home plate would have left me a pretty good angle to tell if there was indeed a tag, and if the tag was before the runner scored.

The camera angle is not great, I know. But after further review, I believe the runner was probably out.

Discuss amongst yourselves, and thanks.