The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 03, 2001, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

How faithful do you stay to your first association? They give you your first asignments. They teach you what you know today. However, the association is not moving in the same direction as you want to go.

They are staying at the same level as they have always advertised, you want to move up...but they need you for numbers.

Any advise? Anyone been put in this situation? Anyone with the same association they originally started with?
Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

I still work for the association I started with. It is primarily for school, they do not have much summer work and not the same quality ball as other leagues. I also work for two other associations. If my primary association met my umpiring needs, I would have probably gone no further. After sitting home for days at a time during my first year, I wasn't about to do it again. Since there is a great need for umps, work is no problem. However, I do have my priorities and loyalties and make them clear. I am also clear that if I want to work, I am going to work, but stick to some basic principles. If I take an assignment, I stick with it unless there are unusual circumstances. I won't drop a lower paying game for a higher one. I don't go around begging for work and return all calls from assignors. I am willing to go a little extra to help out when really needed, even if I don't want to work. Except for two or three days I worked whenever I wanted and probably more at times that I really wanted. It seems that all associations respect that and I have no problems.

Ed H.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Whowefoolin

How faithful do you stay to your first association? They give you your first asignments. They teach you what you know today. However, the association is not moving in the same direction as you want to go.

They are staying at the same level as they have always advertised, you want to move up...but they need you for numbers.

Any advise? Anyone been put in this situation? Anyone with the same association they originally started with?

In my area there are 2 associations, the HS association which has a paid assignor (employed by the school district) and the Summer / fall Ball assignor(s).

I have no allegance to the HS assignor. Why!

I do not like to make "blanket" statements, so I'll stick to MY area only. In general the HS association is very political. Every Year when I receive my assignment sheet for the upcoming season at the bottom of the form in bold black letters is the following:

ANY RETURNED ASSIGNMENTS CAN ADVERSELY EFFECT YOUR RATING

What does returned assignments have to do with the quality of umpiring? - Answer - Nothing. In addition, the assignment sheets come well in advance of the upcoming season. My son plays ball and I have work committments, so it's virtually impossible for me to fill out with any degree of cirtainty, my availability for the HS season, therefore, I know "going into the season" I will have many changes from my original submittal.

Family comes first and sometimes the HS assignor doesn't see it that way. Therefore, in HS, the umpires who get the good assignments are not necessarily the most qualified, but they are available.

Summer / Fall ball season is different. I work for many assignors. I work approx 60 miles from home, so during the week it's easier to take an assignment around my job, then try and get home in time to take an assignment in my local area.

However, having said that my FIRST allegance is to my Summer / Fall Ball assignor who I greatly admire and have been working for for several years now. He got me started and also understands fully about family etc.

Therefore, my recommendation is: Show your allegance to the assignor(s) that show YOU allegance. As far as moving up, what do you mean?

In the HS / Summer / Fall Programs, my assignor covers a wide range of ball from the men's leagues, the CWBL( Collegiate Wood Bat), Legion, Connie Mack to the youth leagues (Sandy Kofax / Mickey Mantle, some Babe Ruth etc.)

If by moving up you mean the collegiate level other than a CWBL league, then you have to go a "different route", as those assignments are ususally handled by someone else other than one's local HS assignor or summer / fall ball assignor. In addition, collegiate work probably involves a lot more travel time.

Pete Booth

[Edited by PeteBooth on Dec 4th, 2001 at 08:53 AM]
Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

I think the important thing is to speak to your assignor(s) at the onset and discuss your commitment to him. Let him know your situation with work, family, and other leagues. Find out what days he "needs" you the most, and try to work with him. Attempt to best keep your commitment to him.

Maintaining your availability "as agreed" is a key to your integrity in accepting assignments. Your assignor is likely planning on having you available. You should also expect him to use you if you've left those slots open. If it doesn't occur, there needs to be further discussion.

If you are not going to be available based on your pre-arrangements, provide as much notice as possible telling him why. If you desire to take a "high profile" game for someone else that infringes on your agreements, talk to your assignor, let him know he comes first, but you appreciate his working with you to help you accept the opportunity presented. You should be able to discuss this whether on advance or short notice. In all likelihood, your assignor is or has been an umpire and knows the personal compliment and advancement opportunity of doing "high profile" games. If you have shown you will make the extra effort to help him under special conditions, expect him to reciprocate.

Never lie to your assignor, even if providing him enough notice that you feel he'll not be in a jam. Once caught in a lie, the trust for the future is tarnished. That will impact your relationship and assignments.

Finally, there are assignors out there with the attitude of 'you either work for me when I want you, or you don't work for me at all.' If you have one like that you are forced to make a choice. With other alternatives available, usually your best choice doesn't include him.
It's best to have an open, fair relationship to attempt to meet the needs of both under normal and special conditions.

Just my opinion,

Freix
(an assignor)

[Edited by Bfair on Dec 4th, 2001 at 10:03 AM]
Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth
What does returned assignments have to do with the quality of umpiring? - Answer - Nothing.
Oh, I disagree. On-field performance is not the only important attribute for a quality official. Reliability is one of the first elements a quality official must demonstrate.

If you repeatedly turn back game assignments, you are not a quality official. You might be great on the field, but that's not the only area of importance. It is important that you work when you agree to work.

Now, I can understand your dilemma about work and family commitments. It's even worse where I live. Our game assignments for the week come out in the Sunday paper. I cannot plan my week until the Sunday paper comes out. Every Sunday morning during baseball season, I am on the phone with assignors working the rest of my schedule around my high school schedule. Until Sunday, I have no idea what will happen in any given week. That's just the way it is.

I would not be a quality high school official if I repeatedly called my assignor on Sunday mornings to tell him that I cannot make my assignments. That's where the assignments would end.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2001, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whowefoolin

Never turn your back on the association that gave you your start. You might work a little less for them, and you can join other groups to advance your career. But don't walk away never to return.

The future of your original association, and the future of officiating in your area, needs you to go back and help.

I am still an active participant in my first association. Although I've grown well beyond the Jr. Highs and Little Leagues that association assigns, I still work a few games a year, and I still run clinics and train young umpires.

There is nothing so unappreciative as an umpire who just uses an association as a stepping stone. Associations are brotherhoods. Don't turn your back on your brothers.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Jim Porter

What does returned assignments have to do with the quality of umpiring? - Answer - Nothing.

Oh, I disagree. On-field performance is not the only important attribute for a quality official. Reliability is one of the first elements a quality official must demonstrate.

Jim glad to see nothing's changed you and I disagreeing (G)

While I understand it's not professional to call the assignor the day of the game IMO, there should be nothing wrong with giving that assignor say 2 or 3 day's notice.

In additon, HS games start around the 4-4:30 time frame, and most HS umpires are leaving work to get to the game.

I do not know about you but work comes first. Can't pay my mortgage on the FEES I get from umpiring. Sometimes, at work you get caught putting out fires or in a meeting. I'd much rather have the HS assignor mad at me than my boss looking for me and some co-worker saying Oh yeah Pete left early to umpire a HS game - that goes over real well.

In addtion, HS assignors do not understand as Assigning games is there real job That's what they get paid to do.

Then if you have kids, rainouts come into play and you might have to turn down an assignment because your son / daughter's game that was cancelled was rescheduled for a day you originally thought you had free.

I guess what I'm saying at least from my experience is that yes it's important to give a committment and be professional about your assignments, however, I do not think that just because you turn down assignments means you should be downgraded, that IMO is why the Smitty's of the world get the good game assignments.

As I mentioned in my original response, I'm more concerned about Summer / Fall ball where there are many games and I do not have to kiss a@@@ in order to get the quality assignments.

My main reason in the first place in getting HS certified was to umpire in the Summer / Fall where my availability greatly increases becasue there are many games played under the lights and you do not have to leave work early.

If a person is judged to be a good quality umpire simply because they are always available is shallow IMO.

The more important aspect is to make certain you show up for the clinics, rules interpretation meetings etc.

I guess your answer prooved to me that HS associations are indeed political, which is the point I was getting at in my original response. I'm loyal to those that are loyal to me.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

...I do not think that just because you turn down assignments means you should be downgraded, that IMO is why the Smitty's of the world get the good game assignments.
Pete Booth
If you don't have confidence an umpire is going to maintain his assignment, or if he has history of turnbacks, then, despite his on-field performance ability, you just may not put in that "high profile" game.

In laying out assignments (before they are assigned) you only have so many umpires and so many "quality" umpires. You face many other factors beyond who is available:
  • Time restraints of umpires' availability
  • travel times
  • quality of the official
  • balancing the quality of the crew
  • repeats with seeing the same team too often
  • potential past problems that you can avoid in future by assigning elsewhere

If I have a quality umpire who has shown me that I have to worry about him NOT accepting or later cancelling the assignments, I may have to downgrade where I put him. This is not based upon his quality, but based upon the quality of the remaining officials I may have to draw from to fill his possible vacancy. If I put him in a "high profile" game that he doesn't take, then I may not have a "quality" official to fill the vacancy. So, let's just keep him out of those high profile games until he proves to me turnbacks are not a problem. With a history of turnbacks and cancellations, it's much easier to fill the vacancy at a lower level game. Additionally, I can work with and reward the other officials who accept and maintain their assignments.

Keeping the unpredictable official away from the high profile game allows me from the onset to make minor adjustments to maintain quality througout all assignments. The last minute cancellation or turnback of a quality official sometimes means I take whoever is available and fill the spot. That, more often than not, is one reason why Smittys get in over their head---they are available to fill last minute needs caused by more capable officials cancelling assigments.

Just my opinion,

Freix

Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
While I understand it's not professional to call the assignor the day of the game IMO, there should be nothing wrong with giving that assignor say 2 or 3 day's notice.
Sure there is, Pete. That gives the assignor a very limited time in which to find a replacement. Furthermore, the replacement must be able to change his/her schedule in 2-3 days' notice. That's unfair to the assignor, as well as the replacement. Fair is making it to the games you agreed to work. Fair is giving a minimum of 7 days' notice to turn back, at the very most, one or two games a year.

Quote:
In additon, HS games start around the 4-4:30 time frame, and most HS umpires are leaving work to get to the game.
We have a number of officials who know they will be late to some games, and not make others, because of their work schedule. These umpires abuse the system, as well as their fellow umpires.

I agree that work comes first, but the first prerequisite to accepting a job is that you can work when you are scheduled. If you know you can't work, you have no business taking the job. It's not fair to other quality officials who can make the scheduled games.

Quote:
In addtion, HS assignors do not understand as Assigning games is there real job That's what they get paid to do.
First of all, you make it sound like just because they're paid to assign, that gives you permission to make their lives difficult by turning back games on them with only 2-3 days' notice. Assignors are paid to assign, which is a difficult enough task on its own. Now, you compound the difficulty of their job by making them constantly have to re-assign as well. That's not right, Pete.

Furthermore, you are completely dismissing the inconvenience you would cause whatever replacement that is found for you. 2-3 days' notice gives people very little time to re-arrange their schedule. That's not fair of you to do, Pete.

Quote:
As I mentioned in my original response, I'm more concerned about Summer / Fall ball where there are many games and I do not have to kiss a@@@ in order to get the quality assignments.
Sounds to me like either you have other problems within your association, or you simply don't understand that making every single game assignment you are given is vitally important to your success in that association. That is nothing new, Pete. It has been an intricate element to every association I've ever been in. It is reasonable. Thinking that the whole world should schedule their lives around you on 2-3 days' notice is unreasonable.

Quote:
I'd much rather have the HS assignor mad at me than my boss looking for me and some co-worker saying Oh yeah Pete left early to umpire a HS game - that goes over real well.
Quote:
My main reason in the first place in getting HS certified was to umpire in the Summer / Fall where my availability greatly increases becasue there are many games played under the lights and you do not have to leave work early.
Sounds to me like the problem is that you've got no business taking high school assignments. You can't make the schedule. You've got to at the very least be able to make the games without causing strife to your employers. If you can't, then you are simply not a high school official.

Quote:
If a person is judged to be a good quality umpire simply because they are always available is shallow IMO.
You make it sound like those umpires who are available are not otherwise of good quality. I think that's wrong. I'm available for all my assignments, and I am hardly a lousy official. I'm sure you have folks in your association who are, indeed, good quality officials and make every game assignment. Where you live cannot be that much different from where I live.

You sell your fellow blues short when you make such statements. It is possible to be a good quality official in all aspects and make all of your assignments.

You sound very bitter that high school games begin when you are not available. Too bad. Get over it.

Quote:
The more important aspect is to make certain you show up for the clinics, rules interpretation meetings etc.
I'm sorry, but clinics and rules interpretation meetings won't mean diddly if you can't make your game assignments.

Quote:
I guess your answer prooved to me that HS associations are indeed political, which is the point I was getting at in my original response.
There is utterly no politics involved, here. The job starts at 3:30pm (where I live). You are required to be there at 3pm. If you know you can't make it, why take the job? That makes no sense to me. It's not at all about politics. It's about having officials who are good quality and well-rounded in all fields, from game management to punctuality. I'm flabbergasted that you cannot understand that.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Jim Porter

Furthermore, you are completely dismissing the inconvenience you would cause whatever replacement that is found for you. 2-3 days' notice gives people very little time to re-arrange their schedule. That's not fair of you to do, Pete.

Jim, the point I'm getting at with all of this is: I am not going to cause my assignor any inconvenience concerning things under my direct control It's not like I'm calling up the assignor and saying "Hey Joe I can't do the game for you tomorrow because a bunch of us are going to the track".

Family and work problems are sometimes out of my control and if you are asking me to choose a game assignment over Family and work well that IMO makes me flabbergasted.

I do not want to get off topic on the original thread so my recommendation to the original poster would be:

Determine your goals

Examine family and Work constraints

Join an association which fits your needs and then be loyal to them.

I am in 2 associations. I am thinking of dropping one this year. One association gives me the flexibility I need. For every game I turn back I give them another in return. In other words, I work with them and they work with me.

The other association I belong to runs like yours does. If you don't give them a week's notice, you get a black mark next to your name.

I dont have any problems during the Summer / Fall ball season.

Ok Jim on to the next topic. BTW, when are you going to repost your essay on Relaxed vs. Unrelaxed action - Thanks

Pete Booth
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Jim, the point I'm getting at with all of this is: I am not going to cause my assignor any inconvenience concerning things under my direct control It's not like I'm calling up the assignor and saying "Hey Joe I can't do the game for you tomorrow because a bunch of us are going to the track".

Family and work problems are sometimes out of my control and if you are asking me to choose a game assignment over Family and work well that IMO makes me flabbergasted.
Certainly, things happen unexpectedly. But you've got to realize that there are many umpires out there who want to work high school baseball so badly that they make promises they cannot keep.

One game gets turned back when your daughter goes into the hospital to have her tonsils removed. That is unexpected and understandable. But when your daughter has her tonsils out for this game, your dog needs to be spayed for the next game, your boss won't let you out early for another game, your wife wants you to celebrate your anniversary for another game - then there's a problem.

That happens a lot, Pete. And it's impossible for an assignor to tell whether he's got a slacker or a guy with unbelievably bad luck. In any event, when you turn back more than 3-4 assignments in a season, that's the time to say to your assginor, "I cannot make the commitment you require of me," and hang up your high school plate shoes.

Umpiring at the high school level and above is a part time job, not a hobby. It needs to be treated that way.

Quote:
I dont have any problems during the Summer / Fall ball season.
Umpiring summer ball is different because games are played after 5pm, when work commitments are not an issue.

Quote:
Ok Jim on to the next topic. BTW, when are you going to repost your essay on Relaxed vs. Unrelaxed action
Well, with 4 more parts to the Rick Roder interview still to come on eUmpire.com, I think I'll let him address that topic.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

"Now, I can understand your dilemma about work and family commitments. It's even worse where I live. Our game assignments for the week come out in the Sunday paper. I cannot plan my week until the Sunday paper comes out. Every Sunday morning during baseball season, I am on the phone with assignors working the rest of my schedule around my high school schedule. Until Sunday, I have no idea what will happen in any given week. That's just the way it is."

This has to be one of the dumbest ways of assigning games I've ever encountered. Does your assignor own stock in that newspaper? I assigned FED softball and volleyball officials in my area, and my contacts were always personal. I sent out an availability form prior to our first association meeting. When those were returned, I made my assignments for the first part of the season (non-league games). I mailed out duplicate copies to the officials, asking them to return one signed copy at the first meeting. The next schedules were for the rest of the first month. Then, I got together with the instructional chairman, and worked at putting the best officials available on the games that involved playoff-bound teams. Also, having been an official for many years, I understand extenuating circumstances arise. A legitimate reason for turning back an assignment was never punished. Posting assignments in the Sunday paper leads to, "How come Joe got more games than me"? And, it's not fair to the officials as to planing ahead.

Bob

Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jim Porter
Quote:
That happens a lot, Pete. And it's impossible for an assignor to tell whether he's got a slacker or a guy with unbelievably bad luck. In any event, when you turn back more than 3-4 assignments in a season, that's the time to say to your assginor, "I cannot make the commitment you require of me," and hang up your high school plate shoes.
Jim:

I didn't turn back 4 assignments in my entire career. I called the finals of the NBC Texas State Tournament on Sunday, had cancer surgery on Monday, went home on Saturday, and I made my date for a local adult tournament on the following Friday.

We don't do re-runs at eUmpire.com. Since they are always "posted," anyone can read your essays as long as he's a member. As I understand from his posts, Pete is not a member at eUmpire. He wants you to post your article -- for free. (grin)

BTW: I thought there were only 5 parts to the Roder interview, not 6. Good for us!

Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
"Now, I can understand your dilemma about work and family commitments. It's even worse where I live. Our game assignments for the week come out in the Sunday paper. I cannot plan my week until the Sunday paper comes out. Every Sunday morning during baseball season, I am on the phone with assignors working the rest of my schedule around my high school schedule. Until Sunday, I have no idea what will happen in any given week. That's just the way it is."

This has to be one of the dumbest ways of assigning games I've ever encountered. Does your assignor own stock in that newspaper? I assigned FED softball and volleyball officials in my area, and my contacts were always personal. I sent out an availability form prior to our first association meeting. When those were returned, I made my assignments for the first part of the season (non-league games). I mailed out duplicate copies to the officials, asking them to return one signed copy at the first meeting. The next schedules were for the rest of the first month. Then, I got together with the instructional chairman, and worked at putting the best officials available on the games that involved playoff-bound teams. Also, having been an official for many years, I understand extenuating circumstances arise. A legitimate reason for turning back an assignment was never punished. Posting assignments in the Sunday paper leads to, "How come Joe got more games than me"? And, it's not fair to the officials as to planing ahead.

Bob

I will explain.

Something occurred with our high school association before I was a member that led to our association ending the duty of assigning games. The Rhode Island Interscholastic League now assigns the games.

Since the RIIL publishes every scheduled game for the week for all high school sports on Sunday, apparently it seemed logical to them to simply publish the names of the officials beside the game they are covering.

We do provide them with an availability sheet, so we won't be scheduled on days that we have other commitments. For example, if I say I'm available on Wednesdays, I can pretty much count on being assigned a game every Wednesday.

The assignments have been pretty fair. I'm not sure why we don't have more incidents of hard feelings. It could be because the RIIL does the assigning. Or, it could be that our system of rating umpires is based solely on coaches' feedback. That's mainly because of the RIIL, which will back up its umpires if need be, but do create policies that favor the coaches. And, believe it or not, if you do a quality job as an umpire, the coaches will notice. It's not all about politics. (Of course, everyone has some degree of politics)
Old Wed Dec 05, 2001, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Jim:

I didn't turn back 4 assignments in my entire career. I called the finals of the NBC Texas State Tournament on Sunday, had cancer surgery on Monday, went home on Saturday, and I made my date for a local adult tournament on the following Friday.

Yes, but they don't make umpires like they used to. In fact, they don't make anything like they used to.

Quote:
We don't do re-runs at eUmpire.com. Since they are always "posted," anyone can read your essays as long as he's a member. As I understand from his posts, Pete is not a member at eUmpire. He wants you to post your article -- for free. (grin)
I think Pete was talking about an essay I wrote on a free board. I don't recall writing an article at eUmpire about relaxed versus unrelaxed actions. I could be wrong.

Quote:

BTW: I thought there were only 5 parts to the Roder interview, not 6. Good for us!

Oh yeah, surprise! *grin*