The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

How do you end a game?

R3, tie game, bottom of the last inning. BR laces gaper to right center, and I, the PU, see R3 hit the dish. Now what?

Yell "Ball game"?

Point to the plate, and look toward the scorebox?

Just walk off the field?

Wait for an appeal of the miss at first?

I'm just asking.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
R3, tie game, bottom of the last inning. BR laces gaper to right center, and I, the PU, see R3 hit the dish. Now what?

Yell "Ball game"?
What's the point of that? Either drop the balls at home plate, give them to the home team coach, roll them toward the home team dugout or take them with you (all depending on the type of game and the custom in your area).

Be sure you (and the other umpires) watch all the runners so you can rule on any appeal.

Leave expeditiously.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

From "Lance's School of Umpiring and Screen Door Company":

1. Yell "That's Game!"

2. Pull out can of Coors that you duct taped a chunk of ice to and kept in your Ump-Attire ball bag.

3. Shake hands with home coach and remind him that you usually work bigger games but are available for his next one.

4. Shake hands with visiting coach and remind him that you're available to come work with his pitchers and catcher for your usually $100 fee.

5. Toss remaining balls in the back of your pick up and save for your next garage sale and take off gear.

6. Remind partner that you saved his a$$ and you're available to give him private lessons for your usual fee.

7. Light up a cigarette, jump in the truck, and wave to fans as you spin your tires on the gravel. This will show them let you're an ordinary Joe, but just a bit better than them.

8. When you get home, be sure to check the answering machine for the many requests you'll get to umpire more games
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Wait until play ceases (whether I have a potential appeal or not), wait to make sure no one is going to appeal (whether I have a potential appeal or not), meet partner halfway, leave through the winning dugout together (or through a neutral fence where such thing is possible).

NEVER yell "Ballgame".
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 05:51pm
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
From "Lance's School of Umpiring and Screen Door Company":

1. Yell "That's Game!"

2. Pull out can of Coors that you duct taped a chunk of ice to and kept in your Ump-Attire ball bag.

3. Shake hands with home coach and remind him that you usually work bigger games but are available for his next one.

4. Shake hands with visiting coach and remind him that you're available to come work with his pitchers and catcher for your usually $100 fee.

5. Toss remaining balls in the back of your pick up and save for your next garage sale and take off gear.

6. Remind partner that you saved his a$$ and you're available to give him private lessons for your usual fee.

7. Light up a cigarette, jump in the truck, and wave to fans as you spin your tires on the gravel. This will show them let you're an ordinary Joe, but just a bit better than them.

8. When you get home, be sure to check the answering machine for the many requests you'll get to umpire more games
The next baseball game I umpire will be my first, but I recognize that as sarcasm.

Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg
The next baseball game I umpire will be my first, but I recognize that as sarcasm.

No, it's Lance-ism.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

here's the perfect example of how to leave the field after a game (from an earlier post on this forum):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egr2TS_O8o0
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

I think it depends on how the game went. For my game today I handed the balls to the HC on the way out (and they lost big time). I only roll 'em to the dugout if I have no interest in talking to anybody on the home side.

If there is a potential appeal they better do it quick because I am headed for the gate after the last out. I am not lingering around waiting to see if they know what I know.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

I agree with most everyone here. Don't hang around any longer than is absolutely necessary. And by absolutely necessary, I mean the time it takes to walk from your position on the field to the nearest gate.

Just this past Monday (in HS softball, but still...), had the very definition of a Smitty for a partner. When he called me before the game, he said he'd take the plate. Fine. He rolls up about 10 minutes before first pitch (I had started getting my gear together, just in case)...of course, he decides to wear just a mask. He proceeds to tell me that he's been doing this 40 years and never been hit once. After he shakes hands with literally everyone at the ballpark, we play the game (10-0 in 5, takes all of 1:15 to play it). I start to leave, but he's over at the visitor's dugout just chit-chatting away with everyone he knows. After waiting a few seconds to see if he's coming, I just leave.

Rude? Maybe. But I'm not about to just stay around for 30 minutes and talk. Very, very unprofessional, no matter if you do know everyone there.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Ending the Game

Leave as fast as you can! Unless you need to pick up your check.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Leave as fast as you can! Unless you need to pick up your check.
[/QUOTE]

Do not even Start the game unless you get paid "up-front" during the Plate Conference.

We often hear "How long should the plate conference be?

Answer: It could be Forever if we do not get paid. Once we get paid now it's play ball.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Pete, that depends

Do not even Start the game unless you get paid "up-front" during the Plate Conference.

We often hear "How long should the plate conference be?

Answer: It could be Forever if we do not get paid. Once we get paid now it's play ball.

Pete Booth[/QUOTE]

It depends on who sees us get paid! If it is someone who thinks he will get hosed that day, then it has to be at the pregame conference. Otherwise, seeing the AD before or after the game is fine by me
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
If BR missed or never touched 1 then I will wait with partner until last fielder enters DBT.

If he acquired 1st then I'll wait long enough for the defense to conclude continuous play.

Exit stage right.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcichon
If BR missed or never touched 1 then I will wait with partner until last fielder enters DBT.

If he acquired 1st then I'll wait long enough for the defense to conclude continuous play.

Exit stage right.
Don't do anything other than what you normally do. Don't tip off the defense by hanging around.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 09:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
Don't do anything other than what you normally do. Don't tip off the defense by hanging around.
Well, you have to hang around, but slowly walking off while making sure your services won't be needed further won't tip anyone off.

Personally, I find rolling the balls towards a dugout rude, but I recognize it's a regional thing and perfectly reasonable umpires do this in other parts of the country. I don't give them to a coach, either. Either they go back in the box of baseballs, they go to a ball boy, or last resort, I give them to a player.

And I agree with the announcing of "ball game" being something that should be on one of Tee's lists of something you should never do.