The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg
The next baseball game I umpire will be my first, but I recognize that as sarcasm.

No, it's Lance-ism.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

here's the perfect example of how to leave the field after a game (from an earlier post on this forum):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egr2TS_O8o0
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

I think it depends on how the game went. For my game today I handed the balls to the HC on the way out (and they lost big time). I only roll 'em to the dugout if I have no interest in talking to anybody on the home side.

If there is a potential appeal they better do it quick because I am headed for the gate after the last out. I am not lingering around waiting to see if they know what I know.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

I agree with most everyone here. Don't hang around any longer than is absolutely necessary. And by absolutely necessary, I mean the time it takes to walk from your position on the field to the nearest gate.

Just this past Monday (in HS softball, but still...), had the very definition of a Smitty for a partner. When he called me before the game, he said he'd take the plate. Fine. He rolls up about 10 minutes before first pitch (I had started getting my gear together, just in case)...of course, he decides to wear just a mask. He proceeds to tell me that he's been doing this 40 years and never been hit once. After he shakes hands with literally everyone at the ballpark, we play the game (10-0 in 5, takes all of 1:15 to play it). I start to leave, but he's over at the visitor's dugout just chit-chatting away with everyone he knows. After waiting a few seconds to see if he's coming, I just leave.

Rude? Maybe. But I'm not about to just stay around for 30 minutes and talk. Very, very unprofessional, no matter if you do know everyone there.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwes68
...of course, he decides to wear just a mask. He proceeds to tell me that he's been doing this 40 years and never been hit once.
Slow pitch softball?

Last edited by DG; Fri Mar 16, 2007 at 08:02pm.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Slow pitch softball?
Nope. High school girls' fastpitch.

And he's not the first partner I've worked with that has done this. I don't get it.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2007, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwes68
Nope. High school girls' fastpitch.

And he's not the first partner I've worked with that has done this. I don't get it.
I don't think girls have been playing 40 years of fast pitch softball, but regardless, if he has never been hit he is either 1) extremely lucky or 2) lying.