Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Oh my Lord, you should write children's books with that imagination. If he has been calling games for a month or more at least in HS, he should be familiar with a safe or out signal. When asked to appeal, I go when the defense asks. If I thought it was a strike attempt is irrelevant. Whatever your problem is, well your problem. I could have just stood up and said, "Strike, on the swing", but wasn't afforded that chance by the defense. Like I mentioned before, the call could go either way. I just felt like asking his opinion to see if he knew what was or wasn't. He gave me his call, which was acceptable in my book. It was his judgment. Whether he knew the difference, I don't know. However, he does know the proper mechanic as of today.

So get off the soapbox, the sky isn't falling Chicken Little..........

Cut me some slack. I've had to work with guys that don't where to stand in "A". That have gone into the infield base line to call outs on fly balls. That thinks 1BLX is almost up to the forty five foot running lane.........
1. Its irrelelevant whether or not the defense asks you to appeal if you, as a plate umpire, have a strike, which you stated that you did. Why on earth would you go to your partner if in your judgment the batter offered at the pitch? If the defense asks for an appeal before you make your call, how about a simple "Yes you did" while pointing at the batter then signal strike?

2. You are the plate umpire but think that "If I thought it was a strike attempt is irrelevant." Yet I'm the one with the imagination?

3. At no point during this thread did I get personal. Yet after you paint yourself into a corner, you say I'm
Quote:
Chicken Little
and I need to
Quote:
get off the soapbox.
I guess that means I win, thanks.

A wise man once said, "It's better to say nothing and be thought a fool than..." well, nevermind.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Oh my Lord, you should write children's books with that imagination. If he has been calling games for a month or more at least in HS, he should be familiar with a safe or out signal. When asked to appeal, I go when the defense asks. If I thought it was a strike attempt is irrelevant. Whatever your problem is, well your problem.

What part of this don't you understand?

9.02(c) If a decision is appealed, the umpire making the decision may ask another umpire for information before making a final decision. No umpire shall criticize, seek to reverse or interfere with another umpire's decision unless asked to do so by the umpire making it.

Official Notes - Case Book - Comments: The manager or the catcher may request the plate umpire to ask his partner for help of a half swing when the plate umpire calls the pitch a ball, but not when the pitch is called a strike.

If you're waiting for a long enough time for a coach to appeal before you declare the pitch........ your timing is terrible.

Tim.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
My timing is fine, they just pulled the trigger too fast. Anyway, what the hell do I care about an OBR rule in a FED game.
It makes even less sense to ask your partner for help on this in a FED game where the request for an appeal is an option. So, you had a strike, waited to call it until the defense appealed, and then went for help on a call just to see what your partner would do? Un-freaking-real.

Tim.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Thu Mar 15, 2007 at 08:36am.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 07:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
It makes even less sense to ask your partner for help on this in a FED game where the request for an appeal is an option. So, you had a strike, waited to call it until the defense appealed, and then went for help on a call just to see what your partner would do? Un-freaking-real.

Tim.
It's only an option for those too stubborn to simply treat it like they would in an NCAA/FED game.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Thu Mar 15, 2007 at 08:36am.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
The defense in this case would have gotten their strike call, but they asked for an appeal before I could even mutter a word. They would have gotten their strike with just about two seconds of patience. Like I said before, whether my partner got the batter for an offer is irrelevant. In my mind, I thought he had offered. In his mind, he didn't. That is fine by me. I didn't know he wouldn't use the proper mechanic. It was only a low level game where possibly he learned more about rotations and mechanics.
You can dance around this all you want. This is just one more situation where you refuse to admit you blew it. You had a strike, which cannot be appealed, yet you granted the appeal any way to punish the defense for asking too quickly for an appeal.

Tim.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Thu Mar 15, 2007 at 08:37am.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

I give up...

on trying to get you to admit you're wrong in this situation. With that I'll leave you with the words of a wise man
Quote:
No wonder you're so dizzy, you're always talking in circles.

Don't' worry, the fall won't hurt you, it's the final stop at the end.

Just keep telling yourself this, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it people like me".
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

I sure am glad...

... I've decided to quote the posts to which I am replying!
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
I have considered the source from where all the static is coming from.
Not calling a swinging strike because the defense "appealed too soon" is NOT a good game management technique, imo.

Your point about your partner not using proper mechanics is valid.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

To all:

The personal nature of some of the posts in this (and other) threads is not allowed. Some individuals were "suspended" from this board several months ago for not heeding the warnings.

I ask you all to refrain from such attacks and to comment on the rule / play at hand -- recognizing that we can have different opinions -- especially on "game management" issues. And, making a personal comment and then deleting it still counts as making the attack.
Closed Thread