The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 05:33am
Official Forum Member

While I was looking through the Fed case book to find sonething on the umpire asking the batter is she is the correct one,Which by the way I couldn't find, I came accross this.

Check swing:
10.1.4 Situation B1 attempting to check her swing,carries the barrel of the bat past her body. The umpire calls this a strike.
Ruling:
The umpire may note whether or not the batter's movement carried the barrel of the bat past the batter's body, but,
This is what got me thinking???

The umpire's final decision is based on whether or not the batter ACTUALLY STRUCK AT THE BALL.
Now, If I think she actually wanted to stop her swing, but the bat went past her body, would I or could I not call a strike??

NIF
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

Take the strike. What started the batter's swing was the intent to hit the ball. That's good enough to meet the requirements of that explanation. The fact that the batter later decided not to swing may be too late - that's where your judgement comes in on the check swing.

Steve M
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Steve,

I usually get the strike, But after reading that, It made me think. Has anyone not called a strike because they thought she intended Not to swing.
NIF
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Del-Blue
Steve,

I usually get the strike, But after reading that, It made me think. Has anyone not called a strike because they thought she intended Not to swing.
Are you serious, Bob. We don't get paid for balls and safes, only strikes and outs!!! (Big G for any coaches listening.)

Roger Greene
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Bob,
Doing college ball, I know that you're almost always getting the strike. The only time I give a batter a break on a checked swing is when the ball breaks way inside and the batter has to not only check the swing but bail out to avoid getting hit. Although I did have one last year where the ball broke hard inside and the batter bunted at the ball in a self-protecting manner. I had to get some help from my partner on that one as I couldn't see through her back.

Steve M
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

I've seen batters, on very close pitches, turn forward and fall down. The bat does go around, but they were not swinging. The bat and the body moved as a unit as they were avoiding being hit by the pitch. (More in baseball than in softball, I admit.)

I've also seen batters, as an obvious fourth ball is approaching, cross the plate with the barrel of the bat as they throw it toward the on deck circle. But obviously no intent to hit the ball.
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lildani14 Send a message via MSN to lildani14
Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
I've seen batters, on very close pitches, turn forward and fall down. The bat does go around, but they were not swinging. The bat and the body moved as a unit as they were avoiding being hit by the pitch. (More in baseball than in softball, I admit.)
On this one...is it a strike? I know I did this once on a bunt I belive. I pulled that bat back to me because it was coming inside but turned into the pitch instead of away. Got called a strike.
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lildani14
Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
On this one...is it a strike? I know I did this once on a bunt I belive. I pulled that bat back to me because it was coming inside but turned into the pitch instead of away. Got called a strike.
Dani,
It all depends on the plate umpire's judgement. If it is called a strike, then it's a strike. If not, then it's probably a ball. There's an awful lot of variables that may be in your situation - so many that it's got to be seen before any judgement here.

Steve M
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

If I think the batter started an actual swing, I call a strike. Only if it appears to me that his motion was purely to get out of the way do I call a ball.

I've had younger girls use the bat to try to ward off a pitch that's coming at them, especially at their face. It's a tough call when a 9-year-old reflexively puts the bat up in front of her for protection and then gets whacked in the face and is lying in the box in tears.

In my experience, especially in rec ball where that play usually occurs, everyone in the park, including the defense, wants to see her go to 1B.
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Barrel of the Bat

To me, the direction of the barrel of the bat is what constitutes a swing. A girl with proper technique will have her body turning and hands pulling out in front of the plate, but the barrel of the bat will still be pointing back. (Roughly parallel to the plane of the swing.) At that point, if she says "ohno" and continues to turn, but keeps the barrel back, I have no swing. If, however, she unleases those wrists and the barrel starts towards perpendicular to the plane of the swing, then it is a swing no matter how she tries to stop after that.

Now a girl with poor technique will start swinging the barrel of the bat right from the top. Her hands don't move forward much because the barrel of the bat is already moving towards the perpendicular. She started her swing with the very first movement of the body, and there is no place for her to stop. What ever she does, it is a swing.

Maybe I am being too technicial, but I am saying is that the body turn and the pulling of the hands forward is not a swing, but merely positioning the body for the swing.
WMB
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that a body turn and pulling hands is not likely a swing. But, often when this happens, the batter will actually defensively strike at the pitch - and that is a swing.

The direction the barrel of the bat is pointing is an aid in deciding whether it was a swing or not. Fed does not do a great job of explainging what to look for in the rules book - "Did the swing carry the barrel in front of the batter and in the direction of the infield?" Fed's softball umpire manual does a much better job - it was copied, by agreement, from ASA. From memory, there are four areas of concern:
1-rolling the wrists
2-swing through and draw back
3-bat in front of the body
4-makes an attempt to hit the pitch

The vast majority, in excess of 95% if memory serves me right, of check swings are actually swings according to a study done by one of the Big Ten schools examining major league baseball players given this or similar criteria. In this particular area, I see no difference between baseball and softball.

Steve M
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Del-Blue
While I was looking through the Fed case book to find sonething on the umpire asking the batter is she is the correct one,Which by the way I couldn't find, I came accross this.

###FED Case Book, 2001, Page 41, 7.1.2 SITUATION A.

Check swing:
10.1.4 Situation B1 attempting to check her swing,carries the barrel of the bat past her body. The umpire calls this a strike.
Ruling:
The umpire may note whether or not the batter's movement carried the barrel of the bat past the batter's body, but,
This is what got me thinking???

The umpire's final decision is based on whether or not the batter ACTUALLY STRUCK AT THE BALL.
Now, If I think she actually wanted to stop her swing, but the bat went past her body, would I or could I not call a strike??

Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

BTW, for those who work ASA fastpitch, the prescribed mechanic for a check swing inquiry is now as follows:

Batter attempts to check and umpire is unsure or is asked to check.

Umpire removes mask with left hand, takes two good sized steps to the side from which you are requesting help. Point to your partner with right hand and ask:

SWING?

Not:
Did she go?
Do you have a swing?
What do you think?

Just one word: SWING?

Partner replies:

YES (demonstrating a hammer)

or

NO (offering a "safe" signal)

I'm sure many of you have already seen or heard this, just throwing it out for those who may have not.

Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Couldn't tell!

I had one young lady that would hold her bat, facing up, diagonal from her body and just sort of spin. I couldn't tell if she was swinging or not. So, after the second time, I stopped play and let both her and her coach know that since I couldn't differentiate her motions that I would be calling a swing any time she did that from then on. Neither had a problem with that, and that is what I did. She continued to do that throughout the game. I hope she got some batting instruction shortly afterward, though. Didn't see her team the remainder of the season.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
BTW, for those who work ASA fastpitch, the prescribed mechanic for a check swing inquiry is now as follows:

Batter attempts to check and umpire is unsure or is asked to check.

Umpire removes mask with left hand, takes two good sized steps to the side from which you are requesting help. Point to your partner with right hand and ask:

SWING?

Not:
Did she go?
Do you have a swing?
What do you think?

Just one word: SWING?

Partner replies:

YES (demonstrating a hammer)

or

NO (offering a "safe" signal)

I'm sure many of you have already seen or heard this, just throwing it out for those who may have not.

This information was given to us at our National School last weekend here in Phoenix. The explanation was to simplify the question due to the rapid expansion of softball globally and possible language barriers among international umpires.

Personally, I don't like it. I can forsee two problems:

I step out and say to my partner...SWING?

Batter or offensive coach: What do you mean s/he swung at that?!?

Defensive coach: Hey, you said s/he swung, why are you changing the call?!?