The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

new Wilson mask

I just purchased the new Wilson chrome moliben new view mask with the wrap arround pads. I have used the PLUS POS ultra light zero gravity mask. I have used that mask the past 3 years and it was very comfortable but every time it took a solid hit, it would put a new dent in the thing. Does anyone use the Wilson mask? Can you give me your opinion on it please. There is still 4 feet of snow here in central NY State but I am getting ready for the new season.

Last edited by bellsjc; Fri Mar 02, 2007 at 12:29pm.
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Wilson Model 3077 Chrome Moliben Mask

I have this mask. It is one year old. I did about 75 plate games with it last season. I got hit in the mask at least four times that I can remember. I love it. No dents. No headaches. I replaced the black leather wrap-around(pigskin, I think-very porous)pads with black Amara suede wraparound pads. Comfortable in hot and cold weather. The leather one slid around a bit on me. I don't have enough chin protrusion, I guess. I can see the strike zone with it better than with my Honig's double bar with regular mask pads. I highly recommend this mask for anyone.
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. I haven't compaired the weight of the two masks yet but I am anxious to give the new wilson a try.
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Best mask I've ever owned.
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

mask comparison

hey bellsjc,
i just got the zero gravity POS mask at the end of last year. it is incredibly light and i love it, but I have heard that it has a tendency to dent. i almost bought the wilson chrome. which is lighter?? is there much difference in weight??
thanks.
Old Fri Mar 02, 2007, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

The +POS zero gravity is very comfortable, and it comes in a variety of colors and color combinations. However, It gets knocked out of shape easily. I discarded mine after one season. (So much for the claim of "extremely strong" in the catalogue.)

I now use an All-Star helmet, which is actually more comfortable than any mask I ever wore. It's not that it's so light, but the weight is evenly distributed.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellsjc
I just purchased the new Wilson chrome moliben new view mask with the wrap arround pads. I have used the PLUS POS ultra light zero gravity mask. I have used that mask the past 3 years and it was very comfortable but every time it took a solid hit, it would put a new dent in the thing. Does anyone use the Wilson mask? Can you give me your opinion on it please. There is still 4 feet of snow here in central NY State but I am getting ready for the new season.
I've had the mask for a couple of seasons, with the doeskin Wilson wraparound pads. I like it a lot.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellsjc
I just purchased the new Wilson chrome moliben new view mask with the wrap arround pads.
I have this mask and really like it, the view is great and the weight is not an issue.

For the money, I think I paid ~$100 at Lester's for it it's an outstanding mask.

I've borrowed a zero-gravity mask and didn't really like it, sure it's a bit lighter but it just wasn't comfortable for me nor, in my opinion was the view that good with it.

I took one shot off the Wilson that was memorable, it ended up back near the mound in a Sr. Babe Ruth game, which gives you an indication of the force of the shot and I had no headache or feeling that I just took a shot.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmblue
I have this mask and really like it, the view is great and the weight is not an issue.

For the money, I think I paid ~$100 at Lester's for it it's an outstanding mask.

I've borrowed a zero-gravity mask and didn't really like it, sure it's a bit lighter but it just wasn't comfortable for me nor, in my opinion was the view that good with it.

I took one shot off the Wilson that was memorable, it ended up back near the mound in a Sr. Babe Ruth game, which gives you an indication of the force of the shot and I had no headache or feeling that I just took a shot.
I did a search last night and found the mask available from $65 to $90.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

This is the best price I've found on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wilson-Chrome-Mo...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 08:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Flying mask?
SA, here is today's grammar lesson:

I took (infinitive) one shot (subject) off the Wilson (adverb) that was memorable. It (pronoun for same subject, "the shot") ended up (verb) back near the mound (adverb).

Notice that the mask stayed on his face, but the ball ended up near the mound.

I'm sure Garth will be by soon with his red pen to correct my grammatical errors!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Sat Mar 03, 2007 at 08:30pm.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I took (infinitive) one shot (subject) off the Wilson (adverb) that was memorable. It (pronoun for same subject, "the shot") ended up (verb) back near the mound (adverb).

The mask never moved. Thanks to SDS for the clarification. I did have an old +POS SUL that popped off my face after a foul to the head. I found the ball at my feet, beside my mask. Of course, stepping on the ball, and falling off kilter while being dazed from the hit to the head can best be counted as one of my more embarrassing moments.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
I did a search last night and found the mask available from $65 to $90.
Sounds right, I'm not normally an early adopter but I did get this mask because I sold my previous one in the off season to someone in my association who needed a mask.
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve

I'm sure Garth will be by soon with his red pen to correct my grammatical errors!
Wow. There are too many to discuss right now...I'm fixing dinner, which has priority over fixing your writing.

You could start by looking up "adverb" and "infinitive."
Old Sat Mar 03, 2007, 10:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Wow. There are too many to discuss right now...I'm fixing dinner, which has priority over fixing your writing.

You could start by looking up "adverb" and "infinitive."
Well, an adverb describes "what, where, and when," and was used in a prepositional phrase. An infinitive is a verb in its pre-conjugated state, such as "to smoke," or "to take." So I shoud have called it a verb. "One" should be and adjective, which is a word that conveys "which, what kind of, or how many."

My bracketing may not be correct, but then again, neither was the run-on sentence structure that I was diagramming.

It was obvious that "shot" meant the ball, and that the ball was still the implied subject of the second sentence.

You see the use of proper grammar daily as a teacher. I haven't taken college English in over 20 years, so I'm quite rusty.

My current term paper does meet proper MLA standards in form. I sure hope my grammar is good as well so I get an A.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25