The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Hey all,

How does this mask compare to the upper end Honig's masks? I am helping a friend decide on equipment, and have not personally seen or used this on. I love my Honig's, very strong and very light, and the topic has got me wondering. Thanks.

LomUmp
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
For one, I strongly object to your deplorable use of incorrectly adding adverbs to the subjects of prepositions off and near; and I also object to the use of "took" as an infinitive.

For two, grammar isn't my forte; but I know one adjective to corectly describe your sentence structure. I would go back to standard mechanics of noun, verb, adjective and preposition; before using more advanced mechanics such as adverb, gerund or infinitive.

For three, if the ball ended UP back near the pitcher's mound; it may have only been memorable to WMBLUE and nobody else. Whereas, it would be an entirely different matter had the flying mask ended UP back near the pitcher's mound. Then I could continue the discussion on this SUBJECT.
Maybe you could regale us with the necessary physics it would take for a mask struck with a 100 mph. pitch to fly back to an area near the mound.

Tim.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Maybe you could regale us with the necessary physics it would take for a mask struck with a 100 mph. pitch to fly back to an area near the mound.

Tim.
Maybe I'm mistaken, but it seems that a rising fastball could possibly accomplish this trick.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Someone who apparently didn't have to wear the mask for protection.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
I thought there was a big long thread on this on Officials Unlimited.
You thought wrong. At least I don't recall a thread about it ever being there.

Tim.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LomUmp
How does this mask compare to the upper end Honig's masks? I am helping a friend decide on equipment, and have not personally seen or used this on. I love my Honig's, very strong and very light, and the topic has got me wondering.
I can't compare, because I would have to use other brands to do that. But I do have 3 of Honig's best (K91 with pads and harness) single bar lightweights and I am completely satisfied.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Now that the grammar lessons appear to be finished, and the posts are veering back toward relevancy, I would like to ask a question.

Posts in this thread refer to the Wilson Chrome Moliben mask as being "new", and one poster discusses his purchase of one this Spring as putting him in the category of being an "early adopter".

I have a Wilson Chrome Moliben mask that is going into its fourth Spring season, so I would have a hard time referring to this model as being a "new" one. Mine does not have wraparound pads (at least I don't think it does), so is this a design change that has people calling it "new", or has Wilson modified the mask in some way such that it is different from the one that I have been wearing for three years now? Just a matter of curiosity to me.

I like the view that the mask provides nearly as much as the view afforded by the AllStar2300 hockey style mask that was given to me as a Christmas present about 14 months ago. That, combined with its light weight, and no damage to date, make it my choice over the AllStar HSM and other masks.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2007, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotblue?
Now that the grammar lessons appear to be finished, and the posts are veering back toward relevancy, I would like to ask a question.

Posts in this thread refer to the Wilson Chrome Moliben mask as being "new", and one poster discusses his purchase of one this Spring as putting him in the category of being an "early adopter".

I have a Wilson Chrome Moliben mask that is going into its fourth Spring season, so I would have a hard time referring to this model as being a "new" one. Mine does not have wraparound pads (at least I don't think it does), so is this a design change that has people calling it "new", or has Wilson modified the mask in some way such that it is different from the one that I have been wearing for three years now? Just a matter of curiosity to me.

I like the view that the mask provides nearly as much as the view afforded by the AllStar2300 hockey style mask that was given to me as a Christmas present about 14 months ago. That, combined with its light weight, and no damage to date, make it my choice over the AllStar HSM and other masks.
I believe it was introduced originally with the normal, traditional mask pads. Then after about a year or so, the new "wrap around" Wilson mask pads appeared on the mask. It is also called the "new view" or "Davis new view mask" because of the closer mask frame. Same mask, though.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

I'm on my second Wilson Chrome Moliben....

... and I love it. Very light, great view. I bought my newest one last month (my other was dented just a little) complete with wrap around pads. After doing some pre-season cage work, I've decided to switch the wrap around pads out with the pads from my 3 yr old mask. The wrap arounds are simply not as comfortable as the old "square" ones, IMO.

BTW- I was going to look into getting a different brand, but I just really like the Wilson.... so I stayed with that.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2007, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

I concur...at least initially

I just picked up my second Wilson ChromeMoliben mask (got a reasonable deal on eBay, new, not used), as my teenage son began boosting my original one last fall to umpire LL games. My first has the original mask pads, the new one has the wraparounds.

My first impression is that the old pads are more comfortable, also. I will, however, give the wraparounds a fair trial.

One thing that I notice about the wraparounds is that, on the lower (chin) pad, the groove in the front of the pad that the cage is supposed to seat in (it is supposed to do that, isn't it?), does not seem to be contoured to match the corresponding wire of the mask. When the mask arrived, the cage was not seated in the groove, and the pad felt much bulkier. After considerable tweaking of the Velcro fasteners, I got it close to being seated, and the pad was more comfortable after that.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 07:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
SA, here is today's grammar lesson:

I took (infinitive) one shot (subject) off the Wilson (adverb) that was memorable. It (pronoun for same subject, "the shot") ended up (verb) back near the mound (adverb).

Notice that the mask stayed on his face, but the ball ended up near the mound.

I'm sure Garth will be by soon with his red pen to correct my grammatical errors!

Better:

I (subject) took (verb - simple past) one (adj.) shot (direct object) off the Wilson (prepositional phrase) that was memorable (relative clause). It (subject) ended up (verb phrase) back (indirect object) near the mound (prepositional phrase).

Don't ask how I know.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2007, 09:33pm

Yes, Eye'm gunna go git Huked On Foniks fur my bad gramer.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25