The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Gear for new umpire

Hello all. This will be my first year working baseball games and I am looking for advice on what gear I will need. Since it's my first year, do I need to get everything? Looking at the prices, it will cost me ~ $500 and I'm just out of college, so that's quite a bit .

Anyone have advice on what and where to buy? For the most part, I use Honings for basketball gear.

Thanks for any help!
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Everyone helped me out tremendously. I will tell you what they told me. West Vest Platnium, and Gold $130-$160 are THE CP. They convinced me to buy one. Also, everyone says a light mask is best which I agree. I am going to buy a Wilson Dyna-Lite $35-$65. For plate shoes I will be buying Tanel 360 $100. For the leg guards it is preference, but I am going with Gerry Davis Guards,$60. Also, buy some good pants and a shirt. $500 sounds about right. You'll want the best so you dont have to upgrade later. Good luck.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Amazing. The exact same question, exactly one thread apart.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 02:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbofficial
Hello all. This will be my first year working baseball games and I am looking for advice on what gear I will need. Since it's my first year, do I need to get everything? Looking at the prices, it will cost me ~ $500 and I'm just out of college, so that's quite a bit .

Anyone have advice on what and where to buy? For the most part, I use Honings for basketball gear.

Thanks for any help!
Read this thread:

equipment help
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jan 09, 2007, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

500 bucks will get you in the game. It is a big up-front hit, but if you want to play you got to pay!

(Actually, you can probably get by for a little less if you shop around or hit eBay.)

Think of it as an investment. Depending on what you spend, you should make it all back in 10 or 15 games. After that, it's all gravy and you'll be rolling in the cash!

As for Honig's, I have had nothing but positive experiences with respect to ordering baseball equipment from them.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

I got everything I need, except the uniform, off ebay. Things like an awesome chest protector, leg guards, and a hockey style mask. the rest i got from one of my local sports stores including the steal toe plate shoes
Old Wed Jan 10, 2007, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:

Thanks for any help!

This CP and shin guards I found on ebay looks like a pretty good deal.

Tim.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
I can't make up my mind between cheap high tops and cheap low tops.
Would you please advise?

Choice #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/MENS-RUCKS-FOOT-...QQcmdZViewItem

or

Choice #2
http://cgi.ebay.com/MENS-HYTEST-FOOT...QQcmdZViewItem

Please hurry. I only have two days to decide.

Thanks

I'd say that if you're going for the welder look the high tops should do the trick.

Tim.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
I can't make up my mind between cheap high tops and cheap low tops.
Would you please advise?

Choice #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/MENS-RUCKS-FOOT-...QQcmdZViewItem

or

Choice #2
http://cgi.ebay.com/MENS-HYTEST-FOOT...QQcmdZViewItem

Please hurry. I only have two days to decide.

Thanks
If you go high tops there, find shin guards that do not have the toe protector or if you go with the low tops, Get WV 3409's or something with metetarsal protection. Eitherway, those arent "Umpire plate shoes" but i suppose they will due for a beginner.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
This CP and shin guards I found on ebay looks like a pretty good deal.

Tim.
Tim,
That would be good...if he wears 15" shins.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
If you go high tops there, find shin guards that do not have the toe protector or if you go with the low tops, Get WV 3409's or something with metetarsal protection. Eitherway, those arent "Umpire plate shoes" but i suppose they will due for a beginner.
I think you failed to detect the sarcasm in SAump's post...
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, I think those high tops would be a good deal for some of the junior umpires I work with. Good protection, and dirt cheap. These kids grow through their shoes so quickly, it makes no sense to buy GD patent leather ones.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for any help!
What type of baseball games will you be umpiring?

If you are STRICTLY going to umpire games in which the particpants do not shave, then you do not have to by the "heavy artilliary" and you can get a starter package for around $200-250

Are you a member of an umpire association?

In order to answer your question IMO we need to know what type of ball you will be calling and whether or not you are going to be paid for your services.

Example: my first year of umpiring HS was what I call an "investment year" meaning the money I made from umpiring HS etc. went into bying good equipment, purchasing pants, shirts & accessories that were both mandated by my association and personal preference such as cold weather gear.

Each year after that I would add a few things. If you take care of your equipment, ie; mask, shin guards, chest protector, shoes, they should last you a while.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

I bought a used West Vest Gold and Gerry Davis shin guards from Delaware Blue earlier. I also bought some Honigs plate shoes, POS Pants, and a dyna-lite mask from Wilson. This cost me a total of $293. Ebay is a lovely thing. I only plan on doing 8-12 year olds this year, but I was in a lot of pain with my Diamond DCP-U chest protector last year, so I decided since I will do high school games within the next 2 years I would get everything done with. I only did 9 year olds and I could still feel the ball with that protector. Go for the best right away, at least that's what everyone told me to do.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Good job Ux.

Years ago, I too wore a Diamond protector. And I too took a foul ball from a nine year old. Right over the heart. I felt goofy (goofier?) for days. Tired, off-balance, etc. No way do I do any game without pro gear.

I'm worth it.