The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

equipment help

I am 17 years old and will be starting my 2nd season of umpiring. I did 70 games last year and will do upwards of 100 this year. I am buying new equipment as the only thing I owned as my clothing and chest protector. I sold my Diamond DCP-U protector on ebay because I didn't like "feeling" the foul tips even when they came from 9 year olds.

I am about 5'10 and 150 poundsand wanted some suggestions for a chest protector, plate shoes, and leg guards.

I listed my height because I wanted to know what size protector I should get.

I will do 8 year old rec games all the way up to 12 year old travel games. I also have a budget in which I can afford some pretty good equipment.

What chest protector and size would you recommend. I was currently looking at the West Vest Original, which I could get for $65. I was also looking at the Wilson Hard Shell Protector. Would these be good buys or should I look for something else? These appeared to me because they look like they are very protective compared to my old one.

For leg guards I have no clue. I want the kind of guards that prevent the ends of the strap connectors from scratching my legs. I had to wear long socks so I wouldn't feel the metal if that helps describe it. Any suggestions?

And finally for plate shoes. I was looking at +POS shoes, but I don't want to spend $130 for a pair of shoes. I want them to look good and feel comfortable obviously, but I need them to have the protection. I would also like them to be light aso I could use them as base shoes.

Like I said, I can spend money if the need be. But if any one has any websites that mark down equipment I would also like to know. Thanks for any help I receive.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Equipment....

For equipment, I would recommend the Honig's elite equipment package (http://www.honigs.com/detail.asp?Cat=1&Sub=97&Item=786)

$240 may seem like a ton, but it really isnt considering you will get a lot of use out of these pieces of gear, and are capable of standing up to a college Division I fastball. I have a Honig's mask and the K30 leg guards (almost identical to the K20's in the package), and I can honestly say they are excellent. The K1 chest protector usually gets fab reviews, but I dont have any experience with it personally.

Normally, you are not going to want to wear plate shoes on the bases. Along with your chest protector, this is one area you do not want to skimp on. You want a good steel toed shoe with good Metatarsal (the big plate covering the laces) protection (make sure its Steel Toed, the Spot-Bilt plate shoes, for example, are not steel toed. Many umpires have had toe injuries while wearing this shoe). I personally wear the New Balance 450 plate shoes, and they are excellent and very comfortable. However, personal style & choice are important as well. I can tell you the Plus Pos plate shoes are quite heavy. The Protector plate shoe, offered by Gerry Davis Sports, is a more economical option while still retaining those key features. Personally I dislike the patent leather, and this shoe can be ordered in the traditional leather.

Many veterans will tell you that it pays to buy the best the first time around. Then if and when you move up the ladder, you wont be forced to upgrade inferior equipment. A few dollars saved on a chest protector is useless when you need a new one due to an injury suffered or the fact it cannot stand up to the level of ball you will be calling. Besides, the Honig's, Wilson, ect. gear will give you many many years of life and protection.

Best of luck and welcome to the board.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

I have a Honig's K1 Protector. I love it. It's lightweight, breathes well, and can take a high impact shot.

Shins, and mask I have the Wilson Triple Knee Shins, and a Wilson Dynalite Face Mask.

I wear the GD Hightop Patent Leather Plate Shoes.

www.lestersupstatesports.com sold me my shins and mask, great service and prices.

It all depends on what level of ball you aspire to call. If you get highquality gear you'll save yourself money later on as you move up.

Combo Packs are probably the most economical way to go. GerryDavis has a good Wilson Combo Pack, www.gerrydavis.com also the Honigs gear package is great too.

Hope this helps. Welcome.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

I recommend Gerry Davis protective equipment

Take a look at Gerry Davis Sports. They have three starter packages to choose from that offer excellent deals. You did not mention how much of the accessories and clothing you have but they have a full starter set up:
http://www.gerrydavis.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=start

A Gerry Davis branded protective gear set up:

and a Wilson branded hard shell protective set:

I have the Wilson Chrome Moliben mask, also called the Davis-Wilson "New View" that Gerry Davis endorses. I love it. I especially like the Davis shinguards. I use the Gerry Davis stance and my fingers and thumbs slide under the knee cap to protect them from foul balls. There is no worrisome strap behind your knee to irritate you either. These shinguards have only two straps on the calf. I also have the Gerry Davis patent leather high top plate shoes as the top rated umpires and a AAA umpire I know all recommended them. They are heavy but they are easy to clean, look great and are very comfortable and supportive when standing all afternoon. They are hot in hot weather but great in cool weather. I use the original west vest chest protector because I call high school in the region that has produced four of the last five state champions and the one year this region did not win state they were runners up. Five different teams, by the way. Most teams have at least one pitcher hitting in the 90's on the gun. I had the Davis chest protector and I sold it to a friend who used it in a less competitive high school region. He had no complaints and said it was cooler than his previous +POS BB200 hard shell/armor plated CP. Good luck in your decision. I recommend you follow the other sage advice and get the best you can afford regardless of level you call. You only have one chance to make a good first impression. I was a coach for 18 years and I always gave the benefit of the doubt to the umpires who showed up looking like they knew what they were doing. Keep your stuff and uniform clean and in top shape and you will go far. Due to your age, you might have a future well above the level you work now if you play your cards right. I got into this too late to have any chance of calling above small college and I know I will regret it.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

do the davis shinguards hold up real well. it seems that with only 2 straps it would be easy for it to slide down your knee if you were in the summer
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Gerry Davis Shinguards

No slide whatsoever. I adjust them with the loose strap end that attaches with two "D" rings like most straps on shin guards, shoulder pads, chest protectors, etc. After attaching the end with the internal hook type connector to the hole and slot on the shinguard there are no problems whatsoever. They come with a velcro attachment metarsal foot "flap" that I removed as I have the high top plate shoes. If you wear low top shoes, leave it on. Again, they are very comfortable. Have a hard shell type extension on the inner ankle bone and wrap around pads on the calf. The knee cap plate extends above the knee and is loose so your hands can slip behind them when resting on the thigh above the knee cap in the Gerry Davis position. But, they are big enough to protect the knee cap. I am very confident behind the plate. Mainly due to this stance and I rarely hear much about my strike zone. Sometimes I get a little grumble or two on lower pitches but I give the whole knee with any part of the ball. I am a very loud, vocal ump as I was in the Army for a long time and spent a little time as a jumpmaster. Try yelling commands to 64 troopers in a C-130 with the doors or ramp open. You develop a "command voice" as they call it in grunt land. Very few guys challenge you if you take charge and make calls with authority early in the game.

Last edited by MajorDave; Mon Jan 08, 2007 at 02:42pm.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
This is interesting. I've never heard of an umpire using the socks as a referrence point for the lower limits of the zone. It would seem to me that if you're looking for the ball to flash across a colored sock you're not looking at the right thing.

Uxley, for the levels you're talking about working this package on ebay might be a good deal for you.

Ebay

Tim.

Last edited by BigUmp56; Sun Jan 07, 2007 at 11:21pm.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

This is what I plan on working for the spring. I will be doing up to U-15 in the summer/ fall
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxley11
This is what I plan on working for the spring. I will be doing up to U-15 in the summer/ fall

I'll reccommend what i use:

Facemask-

Lightweight and has been durable so far. No complaints

Chest Protector-

This thing is like armour. I love it. I would get this if you don't want to pay as much for a west vest.

Plate Shoe-

I love these shoes. Low tops, VERY light weight, and look good. I can barely tell the weight difference with my base shoes and they don't look like the frankenstein boots like spot built sells for example.

Shin guards- dime a dozen. Buy anything that fits. You don't need to break the bank on these.

Just make sure you buy quality equipment now so you won't have to replace them. You'll actually save money in the long run.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

For plate shoes, check out www.inhousesports.com.

Last edited by bbsbvb83; Mon Jan 08, 2007 at 12:18am.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

that wilson chest protector is actually more expensive then the original west vest. and I have been looking for tanel's but couldnt find them for under $120. anyone know where I can get a big discount on those?
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Most on this board would agree not to use In House Sports. They have been a scam as of late.

Check out the new plate shoes offered from Gerry Davis, same shoes.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 12:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsbvb83
For plate shoes, check out www.inhousesports.com.
You can now get the exact same shoes as In House carries, for the exact same price, at gerrydavis.com, and get much better customer service. The model of plate shoes is called The Protector.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

do they sell in low tops though? it didn't look like it to me.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

ok I think I am sold on the original west vest from reading another post. I am purchasing that for $65.99. It also looks like i will be buying the Gerry Davis shin guards, unless anyone gives me good reason not to. I am still looking for plate shoes. Any help with those would be great.