Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
You can read the rules for free at:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info...s/foreword.jsp

Some good mechanics powerpoints here:

http://www.ihsa.org/education/index.htm
They don't have the latest changes on line yet.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyinblue24
Ah! I see. Very well then. As you wish.

(Sigh)

1. I've raised two teenagers. I don't need to raise another or deal with attitude.

2. Why do you choose to act like a punk when people try to help you? No wonder most who have stopped trying to help have not "come back."

Maybe three or four times since 1996, when I first became involved in sports part of the internet, have I been goaded into laying out my resume. I won't do that here. What I do dare to brag about is this: I am a damn good teacher. I am a damn good trainer of young and otherwise inexperienced umpires. Young men whom I have mentored are now working varsity and College level baseball. Two have gone to proschool, one to Harry's and one to Jim's. Both were honor graduates.

I have a good eye for the potential and attitude it takes to be a good umpire. Despite verbally slapping some rookies upside the head, I have the patience to come back to offer to help and see if they demonstrate any ability to learn.

I do not, however, waste my time on punks with attitude.

Have a great life.

Last edited by GarthB; Fri Feb 23, 2007 at 02:18am.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
They don't have the latest changes on line yet.
Rich,

All the 2006 rule changes are there, just missing the case book info found in the printed books.

Updates for 2007:

1. All 23 changes now apply to MLB (Only MiLB in '06)

2. In MLB, areas that mention league president mean Comm. of Baseball

3. Any reference to "he, him or his"" is deemed a reference to "she, her or hers" when person is female.

4. Automatic fines/suspensions do not apply to MLB (Up to the Comm).

5. Rule 6.09(b) casebook comment that adds "Lingers at home plate"

6. Rule 1.15(a) case book comment that white piping is allowed on pitchers glove as long as it's not distracting in umpires judgement

I would post the entire MLB memo (Dated Jan 2, 2007) but it's 16 pages or so in total. I can e-mail to those in need - just PM me.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth
BI do not, however, waste my time on punks with attitude.
You just did.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
(Sigh)

1. I've raised two teenagers. I don't need to raise another or deal with attitude.

2. Why do you choose to act like a punk when people try to help you? No wonder most who have stopped trying to help have not "come back."

Maybe three or four times since 1996, when I first became involved in sports part of the internet, have I been goaded into laying out my resume. I won't do that here. What I do dare to brag about is this: I am a damn good teacher. I am a damn good trainer of young and otherwise inexperienced umpires. Young men whom I have mentored are now working varsity and College level baseball. Two have gone to proschool, one to Harry's and one to Jim's. Both were honor graduates.

I have a good eye for the potential and attitude it takes to be a good umpire. Despite verbally slapping some rookies upside the head, I have the patience to come back to offer to help and see if they demonstrate any ability to learn.

I do not, however, waste my time on punks with attitude.

Have a great life.
Is it possible you're misinterpreting the kid's response? It sure didn't strike me as dripping with attitude or disrespect.

If there's more going on than I'm aware of, please disregard, but on the posts I read, I couldn't really logically follow the trajectory of the conversation.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1
Rich,

All the 2006 rule changes are there, just missing the case book info found in the printed books.

Updates for 2007:

1. All 23 changes now apply to MLB (Only MiLB in '06)

2. In MLB, areas that mention league president mean Comm. of Baseball

3. Any reference to "he, him or his"" is deemed a reference to "she, her or hers" when person is female.

4. Automatic fines/suspensions do not apply to MLB (Up to the Comm).

5. Rule 6.09(b) casebook comment that adds "Lingers at home plate"

6. Rule 1.15(a) case book comment that white piping is allowed on pitchers glove as long as it's not distracting in umpires judgement

I would post the entire MLB memo (Dated Jan 2, 2007) but it's 16 pages or so in total. I can e-mail to those in need - just PM me.

Like I said, the latest changes aren't on line yet.

More 2007 changes:

7.08 (a)(1) now has "his baseline" instead of "direct line between bases" and defines "his baseline"

6.05(k) now allows a runner to exit the three foot lane in the immediate vicinity of first bas in order to touch the base. 7.09 (k) which was redundant has been eliminated.

The press release on the latest changes are on line.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releas...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

GarthB:

I have never had any problems with boyinblue. I don't understand this "attitude" of his that you speak of. Looks to me like he's picking up some tips from the veterans, and you're not making that a very pleasant task. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with giving a hot-headed newbie a kick in the butt now and then, but boyinblue is not the hothead that you are making him out to be. I probably am, but he isn't.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
GarthB:

I have never had any problems with boyinblue. I don't understand this "attitude" of his that you speak of. Looks to me like he's picking up some tips from the veterans, and you're not making that a very pleasant task. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with giving a hot-headed newbie a kick in the butt now and then, but boyinblue is not the hothead that you are making him out to be. I probably am, but he isn't.

"Ah! I see. Very well then. As you wish."
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 10:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
"Ah! I see. Very well then. As you wish."
My first thought was this was a quote from The Princess Bride.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
I perceive a battle of wits between Benham and Fronheiser with both firing blanks.....
Paulie,

As with most of your perceptions, rules interpretations and thoughts of mechanics, you're wrong again.

Rich made an excellent, if, for you at least, obscure, observation.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 11:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Paulie,

As with most of your perceptions, rules interpretations and thoughts of mechanics, you're wrong again.

Rich made an excellent, if, for you at least, obscure, observation.
Of course, I could start in on the whole iocane powder thing -- if it's as deadly as they say, how could the hero build up immunity of it?

PWL: Even if Garth and I bicker occasionally, and it is only occasionally, it's still worth more to me than anything you post.
Old Sat Feb 24, 2007, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Of course, I could start in on the whole iocane powder thing -- if it's as deadly as they say, how could the hero build up immunity of it?
I went to a CTE advisory board meeting last week. When we signed in we were given one of those large "Hello, My name is..." stickers to fill out and wear.

On mine I wrote : “Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die.”
Old Sat Feb 24, 2007, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

“You be careful. People in masks cannot be trusted.” - ibid

JM
Old Sat Feb 24, 2007, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

“You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never to get involved in a land war in Asia. And only slightly less well known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!” Op cit.
Old Sat Feb 24, 2007, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
You should have wrote: I. M. Abore.
FIZZLE! DOUBLE FIZZLE!! TRIPLE FIZZLE!!! AND THE INFAMOUS QUADRUPLE FIZZLE!!!!