The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

south carolina??

Is South Carolina the only state that does not have the appeal play in high school baseball??
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

What exactly do you mean? What does SC have regarding appeal?
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
What exactly do you mean? What does SC have regarding appeal?
The "old" FED rule where the umpire simply declares the runner out at the end of action when he misses a base or leaves too soon.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Lawson
Is South Carolina the only state that does not have the appeal play in high school baseball??
If you are speaking of when in a FED game, we called the runner out (for missing a base) without an appeal, the FED changed that rule several years ago. We have to wait for a proper appeal (similar to OBR) from the defense.

Cheers
Ozzy
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 01:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
If you are speaking of when in a FED game, we called the runner out (for missing a base) without an appeal, the FED changed that rule several years ago. We have to wait for a proper appeal (similar to OBR) from the defense.

Cheers
Ozzy

Yes, the FED changed the rule, but SC still uses the old rule for some reason.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Yes, the FED changed the rule, but SC still uses the old rule for some reason.
The reason is that the assistant executive director for baseball likes the old "no appeal" rule.

None of us (umpires) have any idea how to apply this rule in the event we have a time-play issue. Normally, on a time play you would see what happens first (1) the live-action appeal or (2) the other runner crossing the plate.

What do we do? Do we wait to call the other runner out for missing the base to allow the run to score? Or do we call him out immediately and not allow the run.

They really haven't thought this thru. If it ever arises on my field, I'll use my "common sense".
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 12:29pm

Lawump,

My question now is, how is it possible that some "assistant" (there's that ugly word again!) director of a state association can overrule a rule from the rule book which is not subject to change by state adoption? It seems to me that this is being done surreptitiously, and should be ruled invalid.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know how they can. I know nothing of the NFHS's rules and procedures.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
I don't know how they can. I know nothing of the NFHS's rules and procedures.
I think steve is right... maybe you should go over the head of SC and somehow go straight to NFHS about the issue (since you probably have tried multiple times to change the rule).
Old Sat Feb 17, 2007, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Lawump,
That is the play i brought up and no one can give me an anwser.
Old Sat Feb 17, 2007, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Lawump,

My question now is, how is it possible that some "assistant" (there's that ugly word again!) director of a state association can overrule a rule from the rule book which is not subject to change by state adoption? It seems to me that this is being done surreptitiously, and should be ruled invalid.
The War of Northern Agression began at Fort Sumter in SC and SC still flys the confederate flag over the state capital building so it's not surprising they have chosen not to adopt the revised NFHS rule on this subject. I wonder if there is anyone in SC who cares what they think in Indianapolis.

Last edited by DG; Sat Feb 17, 2007 at 10:45pm.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
The War of Northern Agression began at Fort Sumter in SC and SC still flys the confederate flag over the state capital building so it's not surprising they have chosen not to adopt the revised NFHS rule on this subject. I wonder if there is anyone in SC who cares what they think in Indianapolis.
Correction: The confederate flag flies on a separate monument on the statehouse grounds, but was removed from the top of the capital building on July 1, 2000, as a response to protests from various groups. However, this did not appease all, and a boycott remains in "effect," thought it's effectiveness is in doubt, other than the NCAA banning all pre-planned events from the state.

Interestingly enough, the place where it now resides is probably more prominent and easily observable to passersby. Sometimes you just can't handle it when you get what you asked for...

Now, as for the appeal rule, I don't know why they choose to ignore this rule, but follow all others. Our esteemed High School League official, when asked if he would also consider ignoring the change to the "hand to the mouth is a ball to the batter" ruling at our state clinic and test a couple of weeks ago, said that he already appealed the NFHS rules committee, and had to abide by their ruling. So, apparently selective hearing is in place at the SCHSL, because they certainly know the phone number to the NFHS offices.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarolinablue
I don't know why they choose to ignore this rule, but follow all others.
I agree with your entire post, except for this line. We don't follow "all others". For instance, there is no "batter's box" rule in SC. (That is the rule that says the batter must remain in this batter's box during his entire at-bat unless one of the exceptions occurs).

As for you other posters making comments about SC and the war, etc.: I, personally, am from New England (now a permanent snowbird with a heavy Boston accent (so I've been told) ). My paternal family was in Ireland picking potatoes in the 1860s, while my maternal family was in Quebec.

However, politics aside, I love SC. Its an affordable place to live with beautiful beaches, forests, mountains, sandhills, lakes and, oh yeah, great baseball.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

"No Appeal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
The reason is that the assistant executive director for baseball likes the old "no appeal" rule.

None of us (umpires) have any idea how to apply this rule in the event we have a time-play issue. Normally, on a time play you would see what happens first (1) the live-action appeal or (2) the other runner crossing the plate.

What do we do? Do we wait to call the other runner out for missing the base to allow the run to score? Or do we call him out immediately and not allow the run.

They really haven't thought this thru. If it ever arises on my field, I'll use my "common sense".
Just in case you don't recall, the old "no appeal" rule was enforced "at the end of playing action."

So, yes, you wait for the runners to finish running, you wait for the defense to stop attempting to make any plays on the runners, then you call the out for the baserunning infraction. If you think about it, the timing is just about the same as a normal appeal would be, maybe a little bit sooner. Remember, too, that even under the "no appeal" rule, the defense could make a live ball appeal (and an "accidental appeal") by tagging the base or the baserunner during playing action.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

It's all OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
I think steve is right... maybe you should go over the head of SC and somehow go straight to NFHS about the issue (since you probably have tried multiple times to change the rule).
Take a look at page 1 of the rule book. It says, "Member associations of the NFHS independently make decisions regarding compliance with or modification of these playing rules for the student-athletes in their respective states."

South Carolina is free to make its own choices.