The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

Question BRAND NEW Umpire...

Ok so it's my first year.. I've read the post on the equipment prices and all (gulp), but what other type of advice can you give me? What are some good tips or advice you wish you would've been given when you were first starting out?
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:18am
Do not give a damn!!

If you can afford it, spend the money on good equipment if you can. Good equipment can last a very long time. What you ultimately buy is based on what people tell you and what you think about the reviews you get.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindofficial
Ok so it's my first year.. I've read the post on the equipment prices and all (gulp), but what other type of advice can you give me? What are some good tips or advice you wish you would've been given when you were first starting out?
You're off to an excellent start. You are asking questions about a new activity rather than pretending to know all the answers. Some of our other newer guests should take note.

First, do you belong to an association? Is there training available? What is your baseball background...did you play? Did you coach?

What are your goals? Are you age appropriate for your goals? For example 45 year old beginners do not advance to the major leagues.

In general, I would tell any rookie who asked to get some formal training as soon as possible. A qualified three day camp will work wonders for a new umpire. Never pass up an opportunity to learn.

Second, listen and read more than you talk and write. Don't be afraid to ask questions, but try to do some homework and find out as much of the basic stuff as you can. For example, don't go around asking your local gurus if the hands are part of the bat. No, they are not. Never have been, never will be.

Third, realize the importance of your appearance and presence on the field. Take care to look professional.

Fourth, don't risk injury to save a buck. Buy a good mask, good plate shoes and a good chest protector. Most shin guards will work. Wear a cup.

Fifth, find a local mentor, preferably one who has had professional training.

Sixth, come back anytime. Despite appearances occasionally, we really do enjoy help newbies, especially the smart ones.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

Well I'm 26. I've played all my life (not in college though). My goals would be to make it the big leagues. I belong to the local high school association. I've watched some training videos via online. I love the game of baseball. I don't pretend to know all, because I know I don't.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 03:18am
Official Forum Member

On the equipment front:

Ebay is your friend. A lot. I've picked up about 400 bucks worth of equipment for about 250 dollars. Just make sure you do your homework and ask questions of the sellers.

On the field:
Experienced umpires are your friend (usually.) Glean all you can from the "vets," but don't take everything as law. Well, unless it's rule-related. A lot of umpiring is gleaning from others and finding what works for you when it comes to mechanics and such. Once you start umpiring, you'll never watch a baseball game the same way again. Take note of what you see on the field, what works and what doesn't.

Last edited by DonInKansas; Mon Feb 12, 2007 at 03:23am.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Pay close attention to the veterans of your association. Also, seek out members that have been to one of the schools. Their insight can be very helpful.

Some of the suppliers:

Gerry Davis Sports (one of the best suppliers in my book)

Honig's (very good 2nd choice)

+POS (be careful with this one, reputation is going down the tubes)

Go the these sites for latest equipment and uniforms. Then go to Ebay and see if you can do better as far as prices. Don't skimp on safety! If you are just doing LL then a lower priced chest protector is okay. If you are doing 90' diamond, use a hard shell! Buy a mask or a HSM (Hockey Style Mask) as you choose. Don't listen to the posting here or on other sites. It's your choice (no, I don't wear a HSM).

Other that that, keep reading but don't be afraid to post. Use your common sense and above all, grow a thick skin!

Regards,
Ozzy
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well I'm 26. I've played all my life (not in college though). My goals would be to make it the big leagues.
You are getting a late start for this goal. You'll need to attend one of two "approved" schools from which minor league candidates are drawn. Each school lasts about 5 weeks and occurs in January (they just finished). From each school, about 20 candidates are selected to go on for more evaluation. I've heard that this year, 4 of those 40 will get minor league jobs. Those minor league jobs pay about $2000 / month for the 5 month season. You or your partner will drive from site to site. The owner of the car gets some mileage reimbursement, but it doesn't really cover the full costs.

I'm not trying to discourage you -- just giving you some of the facts. If you're serious, then I'd suggest you contact the schools and see what they recommend between now and next January.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well I'm 26. I've played all my life (not in college though). My goals would be to make it the big leagues.
Then start saving your money and clearing your calendar for Proschool next January/February. The five week course usually begins near the first of the shortly after the first and runs through the first week of February. By the time you pay for school, lodging, a meal plan and airfare, you've invested around $4,000.

Don't worry about not having a lot of experience prior to school. Some of the instructors consider that a plus, since you haven't picked up a lot of bad habits. But get a hard start on the rule book.

Although they can't come right out and say it, there is a bias towards youth in baseball umpiring. It takes between 7 and 11 years or so to move up through the ranks to the Majors, and if you go by what they do and not what they say, it appears that they like their new MLB umpires to be around 35 to 38 years old. That said, a 42 year old was an honor grad this year and will be attending PBUC, the second stage of the training and selection process. That is the exception that proves the rule.
Quote:

I belong to the local high school association. I've watched some training videos via online. I love the game of baseball. I don't pretend to know all, because I know I don't.
No one here knows it all. And those of us who did, have forgotten some.

Some training videos are excellent, such as Jim Evans Pitching Regulatons. Some are crap, like "See a balk, Call a Balk."

Loving the game is irrelevant. It won't help you and at times, it can cause despair as you see how some treat it. But remember, if coaches and players didn't lie and cheat, there'd be no need for umpires.

Good luck.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

blind,

i was in your shoes a couple years ago. i had zero training from my association. The only training we had was they would assign me with a vet and after the game he would "tell me what i did wrong" AFTER i made an *** out of myself (we've since had a new president and we're going to change a few things this year). The only training i had was reading these forums and listening to guys like Tim and Garth. Believe me, this, along with my diligent rulebook studying, put me light years ahead of where i should be right now in my umpiring career. I got to do one of the games in our county's legion championship last year and i've become a respected umpire in my chapter- and it's pretty much thanks to the advice i got from this board.

If you listen and work hard to perfect your mechanics and rules knowledge, and you listen to advice on how to handle situations, you'll do great!
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

I found the Sears Flex Slacks and Levi's Action Slacks to be reasonable in price and long-lasting. Trick is to buy them big enough for your shin guards.
Wal-Mart also has slacks. Dickies belts are $10 there. Black socks. Riddell makes inexpensive, good shoes. Try TJ Maxx or Ross Dress for Less for slacks and shoes. I picked up some under garments there this week.

Some items you can't get cheap. That's the nature of the business. Contact your local associations to get an email list of members. Maybe someone has stuff to sell.

Don't forget, cups are required this year!
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
I found the Sears Flex Slacks and Levi's Action Slacks to be reasonable in price and long-lasting. Trick is to buy them big enough for your shin guards.

Don't forget, cups are required this year!
I will pass on the Flex Slacks and Action Slacks comments, as I used these early in my career. But I have never taken the field behind the plate without a cup.

My favorite catcher cup comment came from an on-deck catcher, who after I took a bouncer in the cup said "everybody should experience that once in life".

I guess if I had to prioritize umpire protection it would be mask, chest protector and the cup would be 3rd, but I ain't going out there without all three and don't need a rule to make me.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
Wal-Mart also has slacks. Try TJ Maxx or Ross Dress for Less for slacks and shoes. I picked up some under garments there this week.
This is not professional nor the way to begin your career.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well I'm 26. I've played all my life (not in college though). My goals would be to make it the big leagues. I belong to the local high school association. I've watched some training videos via online. I love the game of baseball. I don't pretend to know all, because I know I don't.
Okay, you're 26 so Wal-Mart & Sears are out when it comes to apparel. Use one of the links that I sent you in a previous post. At your age, you will need to look the part - you're not a kid anymore in a coach's eyes. You get "sized up" the moment you walk on the field as an umpire.

"Cups are required this year" - Yes, the FED requires that all the a$$holes that didn't wear cups before have to wear them now. Now I am not doing a cup check on my partner but I always remind my partner to put on a cup when he has the plate. My advice is to purchase UnderArmor or Interawear long-johns for the plate. They have a built in cup pocket so you don't have to wear that ridiculous jock strap. The long-johns are used even on the hottest days to keep the body at a constant temperature, pull away the sweat, and add chaffing protection from the shin guard straps.

I also recommend Plate Shoes over steel toe. They are designed for plate work where plain steel toe are designed for regular work. The metatarsal protection is very important because a foul ball there can easily break bones.

The most important thing to remember is this: umpiring is a "side job". When the game is finished, you go home, shower, go to bed and have to report to work tomorrow! Most jobs don't want to hear that you can't come in because you got injured on a baseball field!

Thoughts to Ponder!
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Some of the suppliers:

Gerry Davis Sports (one of the best suppliers in my book)

Honig's (very good 2nd choice)

+POS (be careful with this one, reputation is going down the tubes)

Regards,
Ozzy
Gerry Davis Sports
Lester's Upstate Sports
Honig's

While prices fluctuate from time to time, I have discovered that most of the time Honigs will have a better price than Davis on identical items, and no one beats their delivery.

Second on my list, Lester's Upstate Sports, like Honigs, provides excellent customer service and delivery, and, important to me, he is usually the best source for Cliff Keen shirts, which I prefer over Honigs.

Pants from Sears and Wally World are for those who don't know better. You know better.

Last edited by GarthB; Tue Feb 13, 2007 at 12:36pm.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?

Paul