View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindofficial
Ok so it's my first year.. I've read the post on the equipment prices and all (gulp), but what other type of advice can you give me? What are some good tips or advice you wish you would've been given when you were first starting out?
You're off to an excellent start. You are asking questions about a new activity rather than pretending to know all the answers. Some of our other newer guests should take note.

First, do you belong to an association? Is there training available? What is your baseball background...did you play? Did you coach?

What are your goals? Are you age appropriate for your goals? For example 45 year old beginners do not advance to the major leagues.

In general, I would tell any rookie who asked to get some formal training as soon as possible. A qualified three day camp will work wonders for a new umpire. Never pass up an opportunity to learn.

Second, listen and read more than you talk and write. Don't be afraid to ask questions, but try to do some homework and find out as much of the basic stuff as you can. For example, don't go around asking your local gurus if the hands are part of the bat. No, they are not. Never have been, never will be.

Third, realize the importance of your appearance and presence on the field. Take care to look professional.

Fourth, don't risk injury to save a buck. Buy a good mask, good plate shoes and a good chest protector. Most shin guards will work. Wear a cup.

Fifth, find a local mentor, preferably one who has had professional training.

Sixth, come back anytime. Despite appearances occasionally, we really do enjoy help newbies, especially the smart ones.