The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 01, 2003, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Yep, its a brand New Year. So, I have a great idea. Lets all put any differences or ill feelings behind us and have some good football discussion. Afterall, thats what the forum is all about. My favorite part of the forum is the case plays and football questions we have. It keeps your mind on the game, even though the season is over for most of us. I'm going to start posting a few questions from our state exam. We don't take the NFHS exam. Our commisioner of officials is the guy who makes the exam. To give you an idea of what we're dealing with, his nickname is "Hitler"

I encourage everyone to post questions of your own. We could rotate and have each person come up with the case play of the day or something like that.

And remember, its a brand new year. So, Derock has not pissed any of you off since LAST year. LOL.

Here's my play....
-----------------------------------------------------------
4th and 10 for K. K punts the football and it is partially blocked behind the neutral zone.The ball then travels beyond the neutral zone, where R2 is in position to catch the ball. The ball (still in flight)hits K2's shoulder and bounces off the ground where R2 recovers.

Ruling......???????
Old Wed Jan 01, 2003, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Well, let me take a stab. The partially blocked thing is just window dressing, no effect on the play. We have KCI when it hit doofus K1 on the shoulder with R1 in a position to catch it. Here's where I'm cloudy since its so far past the season now - I'm thinking either 15 yards from previous spot and rekick or awarded fair catch at the spot of the interference, or result of the play if R gets a good return.

I may have the yardage wrong.
Old Wed Jan 01, 2003, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm, had a similar play about five years ago in an NCAA game and "we" kicked the call. The only difference was it was a partially blocked FG attempt.

The touching behind the NZ has no bearing on what happens downfield. Team-R has fair catch protection.
So, if we assume that being in position to catch the kick means that the Team-K player is now obstructing Team-Rs path to the ball, we have a flag for KCI.
I bring that up because you are using an NCAA term (being in position to catch a kick) in this NFHS question.

Team-R recovered the ball touched by Team-K, so they my want to decline the penalty, else enforced this as you would any other KCI penalty.

Old Wed Jan 01, 2003, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

A-Boss is correct- 15 yds from previous spot, an awarded fair catch at the spot of the kick-catching interference, or decline and take the result of the play.

R being "in position to catch the ball" is a term used in the Case Book for pretty-much this exact play (although not the Rule Book).
Old Wed Jan 01, 2003, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Ding Ding Ding

Correct!!!

All correct answers.

I have a bunch more questions to ask. But, someone else needs to take a turn now. That one wasn't too hard, turn up the heat on the next question.

Happy New Year everyone!!!!!!

Doc
Old Wed Jan 01, 2003, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Just a follow up on R accepting an awarded fair-catch , R may then choose to free-kick and can scor a field goal if the ball passes through the up rights .
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 04:10am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by DrMooreReferee
Yep, its a brand New Year. So, I have a great idea. Lets all put any differences or ill feelings behind us and have some good football discussion. Afterall, thats what the forum is all about. My favorite part of the forum is the case plays and football questions we have. It keeps your mind on the game, even though the season is over for most of us. I'm going to start posting a few questions from our state exam. We don't take the NFHS exam. Our commisioner of officials is the guy who makes the exam. To give you an idea of what we're dealing with, his nickname is "Hitler"

I encourage everyone to post questions of your own. We could rotate and have each person come up with the case play of the day or something like that.

And remember, its a brand new year. So, Derock has not pissed any of you off since LAST year. LOL.

Here's my play....
-----------------------------------------------------------
4th and 10 for K. K punts the football and it is partially blocked behind the neutral zone.The ball then travels beyond the neutral zone, where R2 is in position to catch the ball. The ball (still in flight)hits K2's shoulder and bounces off the ground where R2 recovers.

Ruling......???????
Canadian Rules:

The touching of the ball before it crosses the NZ is disregarded (5.3.1).

When the ball hits K2's shoulder, we could proceed in either of two ways:

(1) if an R player is within the 5 yard halo centered at K2, then we have a restraining zone flag (5.4.1, case book 5.4.3.2). I guess R2 does not advance the ball after (s)he recovers it. Now, from here, we can proceed in either of two ways:

(a) if K2 was offside: up 15 from point of touching, subject to near-opponents-goal-line restrictions, 1st and 10 for R.
(b) if K2 was onside: the R will wave off the flag and award R 1st and 10 from PBD.

(2) if an R player was NOT within the 5 yard halo centered at K2, then there is no flag thrown for the No Yards foul, and it's R 1st and 10 from PBD.

Bruce, am I right?
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

This horse is dead. New thread?

I agree with AB.

On future postings, can we all be very clear on NCAA, NFHS, and Canadian rules please.

No disrespect to our neighbors to the north, but Canadian rule interpretation is unimportant to me.

Thanks, guys.