The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Gerry Davis Stance (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/30942-gerry-davis-stance.html)

uxley11 Tue Jan 16, 2007 02:00pm

Gerry Davis Stance

I feel like an idiot but seeing as though this will be my 2nd year umpiring i felt I would ask. What is the Gerry Davis stance? I tried to look it up on Google and couldn't find an illustration on it. So if anyone that has a picture can show me, I'd appreciate it.

GarthB Tue Jan 16, 2007 02:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by uxley11
I feel like an idiot but seeing as though this will be my 2nd year umpiring i felt I would ask. What is the Gerry Davis stance? I tried to look it up on Google and couldn't find an illustration on it. So if anyone that has a picture can show me, I'd appreciate it.

http://baseball.officiating.com/x/article/2904

SanDiegoSteve Tue Jan 16, 2007 03:03pm

Tim,

Now if you can edit your post, and turn it into a link. You must add http://www. to the front of it.

uxley11 Tue Jan 16, 2007 04:11pm

has anyone tried this in little league? I don't know if I should work basically on the knee for 9 year olds. In other words in this stance recommended for 9-12 year olds. I don't really care about getting hit at the age level I do. I just want to be in a stance that I can call strikes as consistently as possible. Thanks

LMan Tue Jan 16, 2007 04:58pm

Quote:

In other words in this stance recommended for 9-12 year olds.

Why not? .......

GarthB Tue Jan 16, 2007 05:06pm

Quote:

In other words in this stance recommended for 9-12 year olds.

I saw a 12 year old using it last summer. Seemed to work fine for him, give it a try.

cbfoulds Tue Jan 16, 2007 05:56pm

Quote:

has anyone tried this in little league? I don't know if I should work basically on the knee for 9 year olds. In other words in this stance recommended for 9-12 year olds. I don't really care about getting hit at the age level I do. I just want to be in a stance that I can call strikes as consistently as possible. Thanks

I have: for me it works fine.

No stance or mechanic is "magic" for consistent balls & strikes - it still depends entirely on the ability and competence of the person using it. If you were grossly inconsistent using the box, knee, or scissors [using them CORRECTLY, that is], GD is NOT gonna help. If, however, your problem was a consistent "look" at every pitch; or pitches seeming to "explode" on you, such that you were not following each pitch from F1's hand into the glove: GD might help.

Understand that GD is gonna "look funny", esp. behind a 3-foot tall catcher; you are NOT going to have your head anywhere near where the conventional wisdom says it should be: everyone is gonna be on you about working "so far back". It will require a certain amount of self-confidence on your part to stick with it, get used to how pitches look from GD, and call what you see, in the face of some resistance from the "old guard".

RPatrino Tue Jan 16, 2007 07:31pm

CB, I partially agree with you. No matter the stance you use, if you do not use your eyes and follow the pitch completely into the catcher's glove, pause, and THEN call the pitch, you will be inconsistant.

What the GD system does, far and away better then any other stance or position, is to keep your head still, locked in and rock solid. Everytime, and in the same place without fail.

You will also have to get used to calling pitches that you have never been able to see before, either because you are keeping your head still, have set up in an better, more aggressive slot position, or are the proper distance from the catcher.

Dave Hensley Tue Jan 16, 2007 08:28pm

Quote:

There is a common assumption among many youth umpires that you have to figure out a way to get down low on the kids' level. It simply isn't so. The Gerry Davis stance gives you a great, consistent look at the strikezone every pitch. It will save your knees, too, as a side benefit.

bossman72 Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino
CB, I partially agree with you. No matter the stance you use, if you do not use your eyes and follow the pitch completely into the catcher's glove, pause, and THEN call the pitch, you will be inconsistant.

What the GD system does, far and away better then any other stance or position, is to keep your head still, locked in and rock solid. Everytime, and in the same place without fail.

You will also have to get used to calling pitches that you have never been able to see before, either because you are keeping your head still, have set up in an better, more aggressive slot position, or are the proper distance from the catcher.

Bobby Patrino- shouldn't you be in atlanta coaching up michael vick instead of browsing umpire forums :D :D haha

RPatrino Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:52am

You gotta do something for coffee money, right??

SanDiegoSteve Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarthB
I saw a 12 year old using it last summer. Seemed to work fine for him, give it a try.

Now that's funny!:D

Move over Rodney D. and Henny Youngman!