The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

equipment help

I am 17 years old and will be starting my 2nd season of umpiring. I did 70 games last year and will do upwards of 100 this year. I am buying new equipment as the only thing I owned as my clothing and chest protector. I sold my Diamond DCP-U protector on ebay because I didn't like "feeling" the foul tips even when they came from 9 year olds.

I am about 5'10 and 150 poundsand wanted some suggestions for a chest protector, plate shoes, and leg guards.

I listed my height because I wanted to know what size protector I should get.

I will do 8 year old rec games all the way up to 12 year old travel games. I also have a budget in which I can afford some pretty good equipment.

What chest protector and size would you recommend. I was currently looking at the West Vest Original, which I could get for $65. I was also looking at the Wilson Hard Shell Protector. Would these be good buys or should I look for something else? These appeared to me because they look like they are very protective compared to my old one.

For leg guards I have no clue. I want the kind of guards that prevent the ends of the strap connectors from scratching my legs. I had to wear long socks so I wouldn't feel the metal if that helps describe it. Any suggestions?

And finally for plate shoes. I was looking at +POS shoes, but I don't want to spend $130 for a pair of shoes. I want them to look good and feel comfortable obviously, but I need them to have the protection. I would also like them to be light aso I could use them as base shoes.

Like I said, I can spend money if the need be. But if any one has any websites that mark down equipment I would also like to know. Thanks for any help I receive.