The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 23, 2001, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Good Morning Everyone:

I am an newer official who is taking the step up to high school softball and baseball officiating, and I need to get new equipment, so I don't get hurt. What would you suggest, it is high school fast pitch.

I was looking at honigs, I checked out the chest protectors and they are 139 and the shins are 72.95, I think I might go with the package for 235, which includes chest,shin, and face mask, except I don't need the face mask.

Do any of you need the $80 face mask shown in the magazine, I don't want to make money on it, It would be cheaper and wiser for me to purchase the package, since I want good equipment because the kids do shave. I did summer league for the past few years, and this year is going to be my first in high school ball. But, I want to get rid of the mask, thanks.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2001, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Doug,
Before you buy anything, check with your local chapter. Through my chapter, I get a disount at Gerry Davis - I get 7.5% off and the chapter ges a check once a year for 7.5%. It doesn't always work out to be the best price, but it's always a competitive price and the sevice is hard to beat. I also buy from Hoings - their service is relly good, too but they do not offer a chapter discount.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2001, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Don't forget Lester's Upstate Sports. I live in Texas and they are in New York, and they get stuff to me within 5 days of my ordering. Plus, they are some great folks to deal with.

Scott
Old Mon Dec 24, 2001, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

the gerrydavis starter package appears to be a good deal, has anyone purcahsed it? Thanks

Doug
Old Mon Dec 24, 2001, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Scott,
Yup, Lesters has an excellent reputation - and there are others. Here in Pa, PurchaseOfficialSupplies is the PIAA authorized dealer - so we have to get all our stuff with emblems from them. And they do a great job at good prices. And I know that there are other suppliers that do the same. I won't try to name any others 'cuz I'll forget to list somebody. But Davis' is the only place I know of that has a discount for chapters.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2001, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I order from either Lesters Upstate Sports or Honig's. Both have exceptional customer service.

Merry Christmas
and
Happy New Year!
Old Mon Dec 24, 2001, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Can't go wrong with the Honig's K-1 or K-2.......

I use the All-Star shin guards.......

And BTW.......don't forget a pair of plate shoes.

Joel
Old Tue Dec 25, 2001, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Best leg protection for my money is the Ump Shin with the detachable knee and foot. Varying comfort for varying skill levels.

Scott
Old Tue Dec 25, 2001, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

What is a chapter, how do I get the discount, i am a member of the central wisconsin official's association. Do i really need plate shoes, or can i use a pair of tennis, my shin gaurds have feet protector things on them.

Have a merry Christmas

Doug
Old Tue Dec 25, 2001, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Doug:

Central Wisconsin Official's Association would be the organization, and quite possibly the chapter that you belong to. Do all members of this organization meet in the same place? If so, then that would be your chapter. If there are several different groups within this organization that meet in different geographic locales, then the one that you meet with would be your chapter.

For example, for high school the governing organization for me is the Texas Association of Sports Officials, or TASO. The chapter that I belong to is actually a sub chapter. Lewisville is the chapter that I technically belong to, but I belong to their sub chapter in Sherman. Get the picture.

As for plate shoes, it is a wise investment. However, I struggled along, sometimes quite painfully, for many years wearing the tennis shoe style work shoes as my umpiring shoes. The first foul ball that you take straight into your toes will have you calculating the expense of the plate shoe vs. the pain of two or three broken toes, or even worse a few breaks in those fine bones of your foot.

Hope this helps some.

Scott
Old Tue Dec 25, 2001, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I use Ump Shins for all levels of softball, too. They work well and are very light. I've got the knee and foot attachments, but only ever use the knee - and I use them all the time. I can't remember the last time I used the foot piece. Now, for baseball, I use the imitation west vest leg guards pretty much for the extra protection around the ankles.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2001, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Where can I purchase these items? I think I will order from Gerry Davis, waht are the exact things
Old Wed Dec 26, 2001, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Doug........the All Star shin guards that I have are very similar to the West Vest/Douglas with side ankle and thigh protection......they also have a nifty instep protector.......

It was because of the instep protector, I thought I did not need plate shoes........I took a hard foul ball in a Women's FP game over 1 - 1/2 years ago......broke my right big toe.......it still bothers me every now and then.

I have heard some great things about the Jerry Davis shoe......

Good luck.......

Joel

Old Wed Dec 26, 2001, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

ok, i'm placing the order today, here is what i think i'm going to get from gerry davis (i'm indicisive, can ya tell) either the pr4366 chest protector (109) or the pr4166 (159) the pr4166 has the plastic shell, and the other one has protective covering, does it matter that much? and then hte bb1271 ball bag, the 11 1/2 inch one w/ logo. The shin gaurds, either the wilson ump shin 89 or teh other one, pr4567 which is 52. the rest of my gear, i'm going to buy from webko (a reffing store near me). could anyone tell me what i should get, i'm not sure and want to make sure i don't make a mistake, especially on the chest protector. None of the gerry davis shin gaurds had the instep, where do I find one of those? Thanks

Doug
Old Wed Dec 26, 2001, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

You are right, thanks, lester's has all the same stuff, for a much cheaper price, but now i have more choices...