The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ray
Many years ago I umpired for several years in a teen league. There were two types of umpires. Those with navy blue uniforms, patches and their own gear. The other group ( myself included) wore blue jeans, t-shirts and went to the equipment shed for gear. The former group were few in number and very condescending to us "smittys" . They did not offer to help. They just barked and sneered and talked behind our backs. We "smittys" did the best we could under the circumstances. I quit in disgust. So, naturally I'm sensitive to elitist attitudes.

The uniform I'll be wearing will be exactly the same as the H.S. varsity umps in Virginia, even though I'll be working lower levels. Except for the raft. Hopefully my partners will understand my position on this until I feel comfortable enough to make the switch to the inside protector.
I tried on my new West Vest. I looked in the mirror. I saw many exposed body parts. Those same body parts disappear behind a raft. Its a confidence thing......

Personal Opinion:

If you are going to work LL and under only then the raft may be right for you since you're practically a back stop because of the unskilled catchers.

HOWEVER, if you plan on working HS, JV, or even Pony (13-14 yo) i highly suggest the inside protector for reasons stated before. Mainly since it makes you look more professional and your appearance and professionalism is more closely scrutinized as you move up.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Officiating is a part-time "job" for me. If I need another source of income there are other, probably better, options. Let's keep things in perspective. To me officiating is a hobby that requires a certain amount of dedication and has an element of assumed risk, but a hobby nonetheless. In return for that dedication and assumed risk shouldn't I be able to choose the level of safety with which I feel most comfortable and not be subject to elitist epithets? Shouldn't my association have MY health and welfare in mind first and foremost? Isn't that part of the reason I pay dues?

Here is a question for all UIC's ,assignors and veteran elitists:
Does using the inside protector( or a 6 stitch plate hat) make you a better umpire?
National League umpires were using an inside protector many years before American league umpires adopted in the late 70's. I have not seen anyone use an outside protector since 1989.

If you want to be taken seriously you will use an inside protector. If you want to minimize risk then I would suggest volleyball to officiate. I honestly don't think you are cut out to be a baseball umpire.

Last edited by DG; Wed Dec 27, 2006 at 11:21pm.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Dg

He could also work Table Tennis.

A version of the inside protector was worn by umpires in the 1930's.

Regards,
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 10:26am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
What have you got against pole-climbing boots? They go well with the Honigs leather ball bags.

Tim.
Well Tim, I've got to somewhat disagree and go backwards. If you're going to have the leather ball bags you need to do it right and not have pole-climbing shoes... but you need these babies...

Looks best with combo pants though...that's the only downside.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Another newcomer with a stick in his ***. Welcome!

Your question is debated.....oh, about 1-2x a month...usually whenever a Smitty tries to argue that there's really a Jocko Conlan lurking under all the jeans, workboots, and flannel shirt behind the plate.

Dress better, and they won't snicker about you behind your back so often. Professions/avocations that require a dress code mean that if you don't follow that code, observers decide you aren't very good. After all, if you don't care enough to dress well, then how can you care enough to know the rules or manage a game? You think people take the time to tell themselves, "oh, now this guy...he looks like a slob, but he's the one-in-a-thousand 'slob who really knows his umpiring stuff'?

Do what you want (and you will), but this perception is your choice. Don't try to make anyone feel sorry that they 'profiled' you based on your Dickies or pole-climbing boots.
IIRC.. Nowhere did I advocate wearing " jeans, workboots, dickies or pole-climbing boots". It's an invention of your sick, rude and disgusting imagination.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
National League umpires were using an inside protector many years before American league umpires adopted in the late 70's. I have not seen anyone use an outside protector since 1989.

If you want to be taken seriously you will use an inside protector. If you want to minimize risk then I would suggest volleyball to officiate. I honestly don't think you are cut out to be a baseball umpire.
I honestly don't think you are in a position to judge me.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Thanks to all who replied in a thoughtful and polite manner. I will take your advice to heart.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
IIRC.. Nowhere did I advocate wearing " jeans, workboots, dickies or pole-climbing boots". It's an invention of your sick, rude and disgusting imagination.
Not to mention elitist........
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I honestly don't think you are in a position to judge me.
You may be the next coming of Perry Mason, but if you show up for court wearing a long curly haired white wig the Judge (coaches) and Jury (fans) will not take you seriously.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
You may be the next coming of Perry Mason, but if you show up for court wearing a long curly haired white wig the Judge (coaches) and Jury (fans) will not take you seriously.
Best analogy yet. Well done.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 04:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Ease up chief... His post didn't seem to warrant that response, so don't get your panties in a knot...
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

actually the thread was done as far as I was concerned. However, four more of you "guys" piled on. Maybe it's not my panties that are in a bunch. I could care less actually. You give yourselves WAAAAAY too much credit.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 06:36pm

Quote:
actually the thread was done as far as I was concerned. However, four more of you "guys" piled on. Maybe it's not my panties that are in a bunch. I could care less actually. You give yourselves WAAAAAY too much credit.
Since someone called JonathanSCS started this thread, you don't get to determine when the thread is done.

Ray, the bottom line is this: If you want to be respected as an umpire, you need to dress sharp as a tack, and use the commonly accepted tools of the trade. If you look sloppy, or "smittyish," you will automatcally get lumped in with their ilk.

You keep fighting the advice you were given, as if you disbelieve all the people telling you this. You had asked for opinions, then you didn't like the opinions you got, so now it's still open season on Mr. Ray until further notice.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

I, and some others, gave good advice - wear an inside protector. Nothing more or less than your evaluator will give you, if you can get one to come out and watch after you tell him you use a raft. If you feel you need the extra protection the raft provides your evaluator will tell you to pick another sport.

Take a college age fast ball off your mask, or off your chest protector, or your bicep in the first inning of a double header and then complete both games and then you can come back and criticize the rest of us for being elitist (ie not rafters). A college catcher (I could say pitcher but it was the catcher that did not get a glove on the ball) broke my left pinky finger in the first inning of the first game I worked in 2005 and I worked two games that day, and I finally went to the doctor 2 days later. If I had a raft I would not have been hurt, and I would not have been working those games either.

And you asked, and received, the feedback you desired. You just don't like the answer.

Last edited by DG; Fri Dec 29, 2006 at 06:45pm.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Ray noted:

"I could care less . . . "

That does not make sense. The correct cliche is: "I couldn't care less."

But I guess that would be elitist if I pointed that out.

Regards,