The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down the word "Smitty" appears to be elitist terminology

Officiating is a part-time "job" for me. If I need another source of income there are other, probably better, options. Let's keep things in perspective. To me officiating is a hobby that requires a certain amount of dedication and has an element of assumed risk, but a hobby nonetheless. In return for that dedication and assumed risk shouldn't I be able to choose the level of safety with which I feel most comfortable and not be subject to elitist epithets? Shouldn't my association have MY health and welfare in mind first and foremost? Isn't that part of the reason I pay dues?

Here is a question for all UIC's ,assignors and veteran elitists:
Does using the inside protector( or a 6 stitch plate hat) make you a better umpire?
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Ray-Ray,

"Does using the inside protector . . . make you a better umpire?"

Evidence would say "yes".

No professional umpires use a raft, no NCAA College World Series umpires use a raft, and NO high school umpires in my local group use a raft.

It appears to me, Ray, that you are a "less than well trained" umpire that wants to make himself believe that his skills, equipment and attitude are acceptable in today's baseball umppiring society.

BTW, 99% of the people that post on this board umpire as a "hobby" -- you are on equal footing there.

Regards,
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ray
The pants I was looking to use as base pants are Puritan brand heather gray polyester from Wal-Mart. Is this a big no-no? Sorry, but I'm new at this and need all the advice I can get. I also need to cut costs where I can.
Where do you umpire?

Example: I started out in LL and at that time in my life I didn't know if I would like umpiring or having any type of umpiring career.

The color of the pants at that time was Navy Blue.

I had an old Navy Blue Suit with Bell Bottom pants. Instead of throwing out the suit I used the Navy pants for umpiring. I also had a light blue shirt (it was not Elbeco) in which I sowed the LL patch on.

Therefore I looked somewhat professional and it didn't cost me anything.

In Summary: If you are in any kind of umpire association, there are requirements that one must have in order to be a member.

If you simply "free-lance" and are a volunteer that doesn't get paid or gets paid a nominal FEE then there is no problem in your approach.

Once you join an association then look the part.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Officiating is a part-time "job" for me. If I need another source of income there are other, probably better, options. Let's keep things in perspective. To me officiating is a hobby that requires a certain amount of dedication and has an element of assumed risk, but a hobby nonetheless. In return for that dedication and assumed risk shouldn't I be able to choose the level of safety with which I feel most comfortable and not be subject to elitist epithets? Shouldn't my association have MY health and welfare in mind first and foremost? Isn't that part of the reason I pay dues?

Here is a question for all UIC's ,assignors and veteran elitists:
Does using the inside protector( or a 6 stitch plate hat) make you a better umpire?
You come onto this board, ask our opinions, get the REAL answers which dont coincide with the answers you wanted, then call all of us "elitists." Fortunate for me, you are not in my association.
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Elitist ??? Only if "elitist" is defined as one who dresses and works in the
generally accepted manners.
I suppose expecting someone to look the part of an umpire is politically incorrect these days. At least in Mr Ray's eyes.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

I must say when I made the decision to umpire it was originally fast pitch softball but felt I may eventually do hardball. I made the over $500 investment in the best equipment I could as I knew it would provide the best protection and also allow me to look professional.
If we think about what we honestly think when we go into a fast food restaurant and see the people behind the counter all sloppily dressed... that is what people think of us when we walk on the field not looking our best.
Umpiring is an investment as well as a reward monitarily. We owe it to the students that we are umpiring to give it our best, they are working hard on the field themselves lets do it too. Lets respect them by respecting how we look and work.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
"Does using the inside protector . . . make you a better umpire?"

Evidence would say "yes".

No professional umpires use a raft, no NCAA College World Series umpires use a raft, and NO high school umpires in my local group use a raft.

It appears to me, Ray, that you are a "less than well trained" umpire that wants to make himself believe that his skills, equipment and attitude are acceptable in today's baseball umppiring society.

BTW, 99% of the people that post on this board umpire as a "hobby" -- you are on equal footing there.

Regards,
Yes it's true.. I'm a "less than well trained" umpire. But you are wrong on the rest.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpduck11
Elitist ??? Only if "elitist" is defined as one who dresses and works in the
generally accepted manners.
I suppose expecting someone to look the part of an umpire is politically incorrect these days. At least in Mr Ray's eyes.
Please don't put words in my mouth.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

perhaps I did not explain well . it's a pet peeve

Many years ago I umpired for several years in a teen league. There were two types of umpires. Those with navy blue uniforms, patches and their own gear. The other group ( myself included) wore blue jeans, t-shirts and went to the equipment shed for gear. The former group were few in number and very condescending to us "smittys" . They did not offer to help. They just barked and sneered and talked behind our backs. We "smittys" did the best we could under the circumstances. I quit in disgust. So, naturally I'm sensitive to elitist attitudes.

The uniform I'll be wearing will be exactly the same as the H.S. varsity umps in Virginia, even though I'll be working lower levels. Except for the raft. Hopefully my partners will understand my position on this until I feel comfortable enough to make the switch to the inside protector.
I tried on my new West Vest. I looked in the mirror. I saw many exposed body parts. Those same body parts disappear behind a raft. Its a confidence thing......
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 10:55am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Many years ago I umpired for several years in a teen league. There were two types of umpires. Those with navy blue uniforms, patches and their own gear. The other group ( myself included) wore blue jeans, t-shirts and went to the equipment shed for gear. The former group were few in number and very condescending to us "smittys" . They did not offer to help. They just barked and sneered and talked behind our backs. We "smittys" did the best we could under the circumstances. I quit in disgust. So, naturally I'm sensitive to elitist attitudes.

The uniform I'll be wearing will be exactly the same as the H.S. varsity umps in Virginia, even though I'll be working lower levels. Except for the raft. Hopefully my partners will understand my position on this until I feel comfortable enough to make the switch to the inside protector.
I tried on my new West Vest. I looked in the mirror. I saw many exposed body parts. Those same body parts disappear behind a raft. Its a confidence thing......
Do what you want. But look at it this way...if the "balloon" protector provided more protection than the inside protector, don't you think the boys at the MLB level (or any higher level) would be using them? Food for thought.

Last edited by tjones1; Wed Dec 27, 2006 at 11:01am.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Do what you want. But look at it this way...if the "balloon" protector provided more protection than the inside protector, don't you think the boys at the MLB level (or any higher level) would be using them? Food for thought.
Hey, the raft DOES provide more protection. No doubt. It's downsides are mobility, looks and perception. It's a tradeoff.

Look, wear what makes you comfortable. Being comfortable is quite important in making calls. But be aware that looking the part is also very important, not only to your peers, but to the participants. If you look the part, you've got half the battle won, or never fought at all. That's the perception part.

15-20 years ago, if you rolled out with a raft no one would think twice about it. Nowadays, fair or not, it puts a big question mark over your head. It's as if you drove up to the fields behind the wheel of a '74 Gremlin.

The whole combo or plate pants is the same thing (remember the original theme of this thread?) . Combos don't look right on some people, and puts that question mark over their heads.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 11:36am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
The whole combo or plate pants is the same thing (remember the original theme of this thread?) . Combos don't look right on some people, and puts that question mark over their heads.
You might have a point. But, I would agrue that almost every single person isn't going to know the difference between plate and combo pants. However, using the balloon protector, well... you get the idea.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes it's true.. I'm a "less than well trained" umpire. But you are wrong on the rest.
Another newcomer with a stick in his ***. Welcome!

Your question is debated.....oh, about 1-2x a month...usually whenever a Smitty tries to argue that there's really a Jocko Conlan lurking under all the jeans, workboots, and flannel shirt behind the plate.

Dress better, and they won't snicker about you behind your back so often. Professions/avocations that require a dress code mean that if you don't follow that code, observers decide you aren't very good. After all, if you don't care enough to dress well, then how can you care enough to know the rules or manage a game? You think people take the time to tell themselves, "oh, now this guy...he looks like a slob, but he's the one-in-a-thousand 'slob who really knows his umpiring stuff'?

Do what you want (and you will), but this perception is your choice. Don't try to make anyone feel sorry that they 'profiled' you based on your Dickies or pole-climbing boots.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
What have you got against pole-climbing boots? They go well with the Honigs leather ball bags.

Tim.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2006, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I saw a movie the other day " Eight Men Out". The umps wore rafts and beanies.
I saw movie the other day too. Jimmie Dugan said the umpire looked like a p*nis with a little cap on. I believe it was a beanie.