The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

F3 in Foul Territory

Without going overboard on calling the game, I was wondering what is the exact rule with regards to F3 holding a runner at first.

OBR Rule 4.03 states:
When the ball is put in play at the start of, or during a game, all fielders other than the catcher shall be on fair territory.
(a) The catcher shall station himself directly back of the plate. He may leave his position at any time to catch a pitch or make a play except that when the batter is being given an intentional base on balls, the catcher must stand with both feet within the lines of the catcher’s box until the ball leaves the pitcher’s hand.
PENALTY: Balk.
(b) The pitcher, while in the act of delivering the ball to the batter, shall take his legal position;
(c) Except the pitcher and the catcher, any fielder may station himself anywhere in fair territory;
(d) Except the batter, or a runner attempting to score, no offensive player shall cross the catcher’s lines when the ball is in play.

Section c indicates that F3 must be in fair territory but does that mean both feet must be in fair territory or one toe? What is the penalty if F3 is completely in foul territory or is this one of those rules without a designated penalty and simply a "please don't do that".

Last edited by tibear; Fri Dec 08, 2006 at 12:22pm.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Delaware Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear
Without going overboard on calling the game, I was wondering what is the exact rule with regards to F3 holding a runner at first.

Section c indicates that F3 must be in fair territory but does that mean both feet must be in fair territory or one toe? What is the penalty if F3 is completely in foul territory or is this one of those rules without a designated penalty and simply a "please don't do that".
In OBR, both feet are supposed to be in fair territory. Any part of the foot touching the line is considered to be in fair territory. There is no penalty - it's simply a "don't do that." Most umpires ignore it unless the violation is extreme (like F7 standing in foul territory to back up third base for a possible pick off at third - which I actually saw in a game once) or a coach complains. Then you enforce it against both teams.

In FED, F3 must have at least one foot in fair territory. If he doesn't, by rule it's a balk (if I recall correctly). But I've never seen anyone call it.

Last edited by Delaware Blue; Fri Dec 08, 2006 at 03:28pm.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Delaware Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
I was thinking all fielders must have at least one foot in fair territory. It is not just limited to F3. (FED rules)
You're correct. I slipped back to the original post which was about F3. But it applies to all fielders other than F2. It's just that F3 is usually the offender, but I've seen F5 do the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
F2 is supposed to have both feet in his box... On the other hand, you do get a great view of the strike zone........
Better hope he has long arms if the pitch comes inside...
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

There's no penalty, it's a "come on, son. You know the rule" and hold up play until he complies deal. Hard to apply from C but you can certainly call over from B.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2006, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Fed = one foot in, penalty=ball or balk at TOP. OBR = two feet in, penalty= any play is nullified, although in actual practice in the major leagues it's one foot in.

I have never called it or seen anyone call it.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2006, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Probably for good reason DG. It's one of those we-shouldn't-let-him-pitch-until-F3's-in-place deals.
"Sorry coach. Yeah, I should have held up your pitcher until his first baseman was where he was supposed to be but I didn't so you lose." May as well start calling "catcher balks" for leaving the box on pitch outs.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2006, 04:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
This is the professional interpretation:

Customs and Usage: First basemen often position one foot in foul territory while holding a runner on first base. On the Major League level, this is acceptable and not considered a violation of the rule. The National Association Leagues' umpires are instructed to permit this unless a complaint is raised. If so, they are told to enforce the rule as written for both teams (similar to the "coach being out of the box" type situation). Defensive players are not allowed to be in foul territory to back-up appeal plays or pitches. No penalty is provided. The umpire simply does not allow play while this condition exists. If a player refuses to comply, he should be ejected.

PLAY:In holding the runner on 1st, the 1st baseman has one foot completely in foul territory.

RULING: In Major League play, this is completely legal. National Association Leagues instruct their umpires to allow this unless a complaint is lodged. In that case, strict compliance with 4.03 is required.

Tim.