The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 22, 2006, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PAT THE REF
Cooperstown Drms Pk - Crew Chief

Hey Everyone,

I know its off season for everyone and for Cooperstown Dreams Park... I was wondering if anyone here was a crew chief for them in previous years and how did you become one? Are there requirements? or just recommendations?

Thanks
Old Wed Nov 22, 2006, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

This was my third year here in a row. I was selected as a crew chief during week 5 last year and I was also selected to work the championship. This year, however, I didn't get selected as crew chief.

There are also two others guys in my bunkhouse that have been multiple years and not been selected crew chief ever.

When the crew chiefs were announced on Saturday, there was on first year female selected, one cripled umpire (can't bend right leg), and other first year guys. A guy that worked the LLWS is a crew chief.

I liked my crew chief and the guys on our crew. We were a strong crew and had only 4 games per day on our field, with the exception of Wednesday.

I just can't seem to break the code as to the selection process that they use. There is one other female umpire here this week. The one that is crew works in spandex material greys. It is also amazing at the various shades of grey pants that some guys where. One guy has a pair of Dickies work pants that he wears. The have the Dickie logo on them in like three places. One guys are closer to black than grey.

If you plan on going, go with an open mind and you'll enjoy your time. If you plan on going over and over, there is no respect or gratitude show to guys that come year after year.
Old Wed Nov 22, 2006, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Sugar Coat Your Resume

If you go, you'll be asked to complete an umpire's resume.

They rate you without ever seeing you on a scale 1-5 based on your resume...

List any camps and clinics you went to, or even those you thought about going to! They'll never know and I'm sure it's done!
Old Wed Nov 22, 2006, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

I went for the first time this year, and was selected as a crew chief. I think it is based on your resume, and experience. But as far as I could tell they never actually check the resume. Any way, it was a fun time, being a Crew Chief was nothing too exciting, but I had to admit it was cool to be selected for it.

"It isn't enough for an umpire merely to know what he's doing. He has to look as though he know what he's doing too." - National League Umpire Larry Goetz

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it."
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

A friend of mine is trying to talk me into going next year. On their website they state:

- Cooperstown Dreams Park is professionally managed and staffed. Our Umpires are professionally trained and supervised.

- Each team must bring a certified umpire.

What do they require for "certification", and what type of training do you get?

I'm not getting what the big deal about this place is. They charge teams a lot of dough, they're in the middle of nowhere, and expect umpires to come and volunteer. What am I missing here? Is there any other outfit, besides LL, that gets volunteer umpires? Certainly not any for-profit ones. Enlighten me folks. My friend, who's worked lots of college and pro ball, thought it was the bees knees, nasty food, funky barracks, hobo partners and all.
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3appleshigh
I went for the first time this year, and was selected as a crew chief. I think it is based on your resume, and experience. But as far as I could tell they never actually check the resume. Any way, it was a fun time, being a Crew Chief was nothing too exciting, but I had to admit it was cool to be selected for it.
How could an honor, bestowed upon numerous individuals without any verification of worthiness, be an honor?
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
Enlighten me folks. My friend, who's worked lots of college and pro ball, thought it was the bees knees, nasty food, funky barracks, hobo partners and all.
Uh, some people don't get out much?
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

I will say I went with my eye's open, if you haven't been you do not understand. The crew chief bit is neither here nor there.

I went because this year I could. My wife could not take a vacation, I needed one badly and the cost for me was perfect. I would tell you now I would go back in a heartbeat. It was a Blast. The tournament and the location is Spectacular, being "with the guys" was a complete blast. The baseball was OK. The fans and the players and coaches were great. The Hall is always fun to visit. This is an EXPERIENCE, not an umpiring experience, a LIFE EXPERIENCE. I feel I'm safe to say it is the most beautiful place to play baseball. It is well worth the time. I still find that getting room and board is a long way from volunteering for free. But that is a debate for those who feel they always must be paid.

"It isn't enough for an umpire merely to know what he's doing. He has to look as though he know what he's doing too." - National League Umpire Larry Goetz

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it."
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Every time people post questions about CDP, we always get into that arguement so lets just stop that here... But I just wanted to know if anyone has cracked the code or if you were a crew chief, what did you place on your resume...
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Put that you are an assignor of 50 Umpires or that you've attended a pro school...This will get you crew chief and possibly the championship game!
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAT THE REF
Every time people post questions about CDP, we always get into that arguement so lets just stop that here... But I just wanted to know if anyone has cracked the code or if you were a crew chief, what did you place on your resume...
Here's an approach that would apparently be unique: Just tell the truth.
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, the truth is the best... especially if you plan to go back year after year. But they deal with so many umpires that I dont think they will know and keep all of the records.

But... Expierence helps, camps, Evans or Wend. helps but anyone that was a crew chief - what are or what did you put on your resume as your background? I have been attending CDP for a few years and currently work Varsity level ball here in NJ...

I plan to go to Evans for the Fl Classic and looking into Arizona Umpire Academy.... But just wanted to know what your background is...
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Upset about the 'selection process'......freely lie to 'crack the code'......but go back year after year, hoping to (not) earn a dubious 'honor.'

Just strays off from 'quaint but not for me' right off to 'pathetic.'