The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

don't worry, Nascar, horse racing, turtle racing, cock fighting ... all qualify as sport from the definition we have been given.

"It isn't enough for an umpire merely to know what he's doing. He has to look as though he know what he's doing too." - National League Umpire Larry Goetz

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it."
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Yeah, yeah, yeah and soccer is the number one international sport.

It means about as much.
Not sure I understand? Soccer is the number one sport internationally, no?

Explain?
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3appleshigh
don't worry, Nascar, horse racing, turtle racing, cock fighting ... all qualify as sport from the definition we have been given.
No one said all sports were equal. Take drinking beer and watching machines run in circles, for example. 'Bout as exciting as curling.

Last edited by GarthB; Thu Nov 02, 2006 at 09:00pm.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 08:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11

Explain?
I think it is number one internationally, but it has never caught on quite as huge here in the U.S. as it has in other countries.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Explain?
I believe that's what I said. And what I attempted to imply is that means about as much as any growth of NASCAR.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

i dont really see what you are implying, number 1 game in the world seems like a pretty important thing - i guess i'm missing something! i guess you are inferring that it doesnt matter because its not big in the US, but I think it still does matter. America isn't the only country in the world that matters.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

my perspective on this:

If it doesn't have defense, it's not a sport. Everything else is a competitive hobby.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 10:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
my perspective on this:

If it doesn't have defense, it's not a sport. Everything else is a competitive hobby.
The following have defense:

Chess

Battleship®

Risk®

Are they sports?
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

NASCAR has teams, strenuous competition, year-round dedication, sponsors, fans, national presence, thrill of victory and agony of defeat. Under what possible definition could it be considered not a sport? That you are not a fan don't count. That part I know because I would rather watch the grass grow than a soccer event, but it's still a major sport, loved my millions, as is auto racing. Anyone who thinks NASCAR doesn't have defense hasn't been watching close enough.

Last edited by DG; Fri Nov 03, 2006 at 12:03am.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2006, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

I guess for me it's the cars. But I don't really care whether it's a sport, and in any case the issue doesn't have much to do with officiating or umpiring.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2006, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
No one said all sports were equal. Take drinking beer and watching machines run in circles, for example. 'Bout as exciting as curling.
Being a Western Canadian, taking a shot at curling is fighting words!!!

However, if you think curling isn't a sport, perhaps you should give it a try and find out how hard it really is. Not the easiest thing in the world to do and you'll discover sore muscles you didn't think existed. It really does require altheticism and a great deal of skill and intelligence.

As for soccer, I've had a running arguement with a co-worker for years as to the number 1 sport in the world. He's a huge USA fan and he insists that regardless of the popularity in the rest of the world, if a sport isn't popular in America then by definition it can't be the most popular in the world. He insists that the other countries are simply uneducated with respect to the sports played in America. (football, baseball, basketball and of course the number one sport HOCKEY!!!)
Old Fri Nov 03, 2006, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Nascar = Wwf
Old Fri Nov 03, 2006, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Hehehe,

Soccer is a great "Third World Sport" . . . as all you need is something to pass as a ball . . . the pitch can be a city street, a field or worse yet a mine field . . .

Any type car race simply has the ultimate penalty for error . . . if AROD makes his seventh error of the week we see "E5" on the scoreboard . . . When Adam Petty, Kenny Irwin, Arton Senna, Jimmy Clark, Peter Revson, or Fireball Roberts made their "error" the penalty was ultimate.

The good old USA has its own "Third World Sport" . . . HOOPS, all you need is a ball and a play ground.

I think by nature "sport" is hard to define because beauty is, as we know, "in the eye . . . " you know the rest . . .

I have same argument constantly about art: is my work art (abstract expressionist), is "jazz fusion" music, and is "American Idol" entertainment?

Hot stove leagues once were about the passion of sport . . . now we don't even know how to define "sport".

Regards,

Last edited by Tim C; Fri Nov 03, 2006 at 09:20am.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2006, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Any type car race simply has the ultimate penalty for error . . . if AROD makes his seventh error of the week we see "E5" on the scoreboard . . . When Adam Petty, Kenny Irwin, Arton Senna, Jimmy Clark, Peter Revson, or Fireball Roberts made their "error" the penalty was ultimate.
See you have some knowledge on the subject T. Good to see somebody knows that more people have died than just Dale Sr. Unfortunatly that's what it took to get NASCAR safe.

I will say this though, some of the guys you mentioned died in fluke deals where the machine was to blame, not the car. If you want more details PM me, Irwin's is by far the wierdest.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2006, 12:32pm

Quote:
I will say this though, some of the guys you mentioned died in fluke deals where the machine was to blame, not the car.
Did you mean "not the driver?" Just trying to make the sentence jibe.