The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Question

This may sound like a stupid question, but . . .
Isn't the catcher's box the rectangluar shaped box running from the plate area to about 3' behind? Isn't it formed by running lines 9' from the each middle corner of the plate to the plate's point on both the left and right sides? The Little League rulebook actually references the whole area as the catcher's box while I believe it is only the rectangle between and flowing behind the batters' boxes. I think the 9' lines are used to determine the outside bottom corners of the boxes,and that the whole area is not the catcher's box. Otherwise, the catcher would be able to position himself anywhere within an approximate 60 square foot area. A coach from another area insists the whole area is the box because that is what he learned in Williamsport in umpire training. I think he just wasted his money. Please advise.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

I assume this is a LL question since LL is mentioned and also Williamsport. The LL rule book has a picture of the catcher's box. It is formed by extending both fouls lines 9 feet back and then connecting the ends. This makes the box a triangle, 9 feet on 2 sides and 12.73 feet across the back. These dimensions would make the back side of the box 6.37 feet back from the point of the plate and 6.37 feet to either side of this point. The area is 40.5 square feet. The catcher could stand in either of the back corners of the catcher's box an be wider than a batter in the batter's box.

For senior LL the box is equal to the MLB catcher's box, a 43 inch by 8 foot rectangle that is centered on the point of the plate.

[Edited by DG on Jul 18th, 2004 at 09:46 PM]
Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Catcher's box

DG,

Thanks. I was thinking in terms of Junior Little League and up, which means it would be the rectangular box, but as you say, the LL major and minor leagues use the triangle though I don't always see it lined off that way. I thought the extension was used to determine the size of the JL/SL box, but it appears it is a different set size for JL/SL. Thanks again.

Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Don't all rule books have diagrams of the field right at the start of the book? I don't have a LL book, but I would assume all you have to do is check the first 15 pages to find the answer.
Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
Page 40 and 41 of the 2004 LL rule book. The first 39 pages are advertisements, rules about how leagues are organized, and what kids can play where. I love the fact that 4 of the first 9 pages are ads and then somewhere around page 39 it says that commercial exploitation of Little League is prohibited.
Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

LDUB,

You are correct about the diagrams, but I wasn't sure if the foul line extensions were related to the set up of the box or not. As I said, I was thinking more in terms of JL/SL and not the LL (9/12years old). Turns out the other coach was affiliated with and trained for LL, so he was correct and did spend his money well.

Some vendors sell the templates with the rectangle catcher's box and advertise as LL, so that doesn't help. I think at this point it is clear the LL catcher's box is indeed a bigger triangular area. I guess this is one of the draws of baseball and LL in particular, that there are rules for a million situations and various ages.

Thanks.
Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

alkasey,

Good observation about the book. LL wants it to be fun, but it seems every year things get tougher with all the rule changes and restrictions. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more "Cal Ripken" like organizations springing up.

Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Cal Ripken is very popular. The name of this 12 and under division of Babe Ruth was changed in 1999 from the Bambino division and the Bambino division had been in place since 1981. The Cal Ripken division has district, state, regional and world series competition. It is not as old as LL baseball, but it did not just "spring up".

I find that most leagues play whatever is popular in the area, so they will have competition at the end of the year, at district tournaments. If every league in a 5 county area is playing Cal Ripken then why be a member of LL baseball and have no one to play, except very far away from home?

All organizations want it be fun, for the players, but sometimes the parents get involved and it is still fun, and sometimes not. It just depends on the league and how it's run and the people running it. It has nothing to do with LL, Babe Ruth, Tar Heel, Dixie, Jackie Robinson, Dizzie Dean, or any other league.