The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peruvian
OH MY GOD THE GREAT McCARVER JUST CORRECTED HIMSELF!!

He even read the rule. Wonder who called him out on that one?
That sound you heard was the "Thump!" of Ump25 hitting the floor upon hearing Tim McCarver correct himself AND apologize.

This just in...blizzard warnings in Hell.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
I'm sure that in previous years I have heard references made to former MLB umpires and/or supervisors hired by the networks. Doesn't Fox hire a MLB umpire supervisor to answer questions that may come UP during an important WS telecast? Perhaps, he made the call.
A few years ago MLB thought it would be a good idea to have umpire supervisors present for the latter part of the post-season. Sometimes their presence was known, other times it wasn't, possibly because nothing transpired that necessitated their introduction and involvement.

Perhaps in this obstruction correction by McCarver situation, Steve Palermo was off camera with a gun to Tim's head, telling him to correct himself or the trigger would be pulled.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 11:10am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Now, why was this considered obstruction when Inge was nowhere the base or basepath? Is it his responsibility to stay away from anywhere the runner wants to be?
Since the runner establishes his own basepath between bases (and is not necessarily the direct line between bases), it is the fielder's responsibility not to alter the runner's path in any way. I didn't see the play, but Inge must have caused the runner to slow down or change his course in some manner.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 11:21am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I didn't see the play...
Steve,

If you go here you can view it: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ps...=ws&type=video

It's under Oct. 21 and called "Cards score two on two errors." (Second column, 9 down)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
...but Inge must have caused the runner to slow down or change his course in some manner.
Yes, he most certainly did. Good call.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

At least it's not as bad as Lou Pinella's :

"that foul tip went all the way to the backstop!"
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
A few years ago MLB thought it would be a good idea to have umpire supervisors present for the latter part of the post-season. Sometimes their presence was known, other times it wasn't, possibly because nothing transpired that necessitated their introduction and involvement.

Perhaps in this obstruction correction by McCarver situation, Steve Palermo was off camera with a gun to Tim's head, telling him to correct himself or the trigger would be pulled.
I had the plaesure of meeting and talking with Richie Garcia at a clinic I attended a couple of years ago.

The discussion was about his time sitting in the booth with some play-by-play man and McCarver. I don't remember the year or exact sitch, buy Mr Garcia talked about how he needed to be restrained from assulting McCarver during a TV break because the umpire appeared to have missed a close tag play at second base, and McCarver wouldn't let it go. He kept on and on and on for more than 1 inning. Apparently, the producer kept replaying it in slow motion each time McCarver brought it up.

It was the funniest story I've ever heard.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Is it his responsibility to stay away from anywhere the runner wants to be?
Yes, completely. (Unless he's fielding a ball.) Boiled down further - Interference is on the offense, Obstruction is on the defense.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 01:26pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:

If that's the case, I'm no longer a fan of Steve Palermo!
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone else think it's a bit oxymoronic that something labelled the Tim McCarver Intelligence Thread ended up being long?
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 01:30pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Anyone else think it's a bit oxymoronic that something labelled the Tim McCarver Intelligence Thread ended up being long?
Ha Ha! Good point mcrowder!
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Palermo

Quote:

How about not talking about Steve Palermo shooting or threatening to shoot anybody? Even McCarver . . .

Strikes and outs!
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
i second that motion.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

I believe it was game five in the NLCS. A Cardinal runner was thrown out by 10 feet trying to go from first to third on a single and I quote Tim "sometimes it's a good play to get thrown out at third." Incidently this was the second out of the inning. He is annoying.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

I never played ball after I started shaving, but my understanding was that you don't want to make the first or third out at 3B. The second out is OK - if so, then McCarver was *gasp* right!
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307
I believe it was game five in the NLCS. A Cardinal runner was thrown out by 10 feet trying to go from first to third on a single and I quote Tim "sometimes it's a good play to get thrown out at third." Incidently this was the second out of the inning. He is annoying.
Wouldn't that be a double? Yes he is annoying.