View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
A few years ago MLB thought it would be a good idea to have umpire supervisors present for the latter part of the post-season. Sometimes their presence was known, other times it wasn't, possibly because nothing transpired that necessitated their introduction and involvement.

Perhaps in this obstruction correction by McCarver situation, Steve Palermo was off camera with a gun to Tim's head, telling him to correct himself or the trigger would be pulled.
I had the plaesure of meeting and talking with Richie Garcia at a clinic I attended a couple of years ago.

The discussion was about his time sitting in the booth with some play-by-play man and McCarver. I don't remember the year or exact sitch, buy Mr Garcia talked about how he needed to be restrained from assulting McCarver during a TV break because the umpire appeared to have missed a close tag play at second base, and McCarver wouldn't let it go. He kept on and on and on for more than 1 inning. Apparently, the producer kept replaying it in slow motion each time McCarver brought it up.

It was the funniest story I've ever heard.