The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 14, 2006, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Three Man Crew Positioning

Today, I had to observe (and not interfere with) three different crews working the three man system on the 90' diamond. I have to say, some of the "variations" were quite comical. Although some of the positioning was just flat out wrong, never was there any base or runner not covered by any of the crews. All of the crews were messing up with R1 & R2, R2 & R3 and the classics were R1, R2 & R3.

So I thought I'd see how you do it across the country. We are on the 90' diamond, OBR with U1, U2 & U3. Tell me where you all think U3 goes with: R1 & R2, R2 & R3 and R1, R2 & R3. Let's have some fun with this, guys - I know that some associations require different things. This is just informational.
Old Sat Oct 14, 2006, 04:10pm

R1 only - U2 in A, U3 in Deep B or Deep C.

R1 & R2 - U2 in A, U3 in C.

R2 only or R2 & R3 - U2 in B, U3 in D.

R3 only or No Runners - U2 in A, U3 in D.

Bases Loaded or R1 & R3 - U2 in A, U3 in C.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Oct 14, 2006, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
ditto except with 2 outs U2 in A and U3 in C with R2 or R2 and R3
Old Sat Oct 14, 2006, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

although, i have seen some guys do it, i have never heard of or read a mechanics manual which requires a change of position due to the number of outs. am i wrong?

thx.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 06:01am
Official Forum Member

the state of illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by newump
although, i have seen some guys do it, i have never heard of or read a mechanics manual which requires a change of position due to the number of outs. am i wrong?

thx.
this is in the mechanics for the state tournaments in Illinois
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:

thx.
it's in the revised pbuc manual
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 11:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
it's in the revised pbuc manual
But not in the CCA manual. Confused yet?
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

thx.
Try a copy of the PBUC.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

all i have is the 2 man pbuc manual. as you guys know, i'm a novice and don't have much experience doing 3man. but, i've seen many guys change postioning in a 2 man crew when there are 2 outs. is there any validity to that?
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Up here in Canada, whenever there is two outs the umpires are suppose to change their positions to give first base priority.

Here are the position manuals for 3 man crews:

http://66.241.210.162/files/Threeump...manual2006.pdf

See situation 3M-35.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Most of us are comfortable with two man, but rarely do three man enough to get "good" at it. I had the following discussion with one of our senior guys at the last tournament of the year.

No runners on, outs don't matter...SURE DOUBLE to the outfield. Never any question whether the ball is going to be caught, and easily makes it to the fence. My opinion was U1 was to move into the cutout, pivot, watch R1 touch 1st, then move to 2nd, while U2 stayed in D in case R1 tried to stretch it to a triple and of course U3 stayed at home.

U1 insisted that even on a SURE DOUBLE, U2 was to move to C, U3 was to move up the line towards third for a play there and U1 would cover home. My argument was why have all that rotation when U1 could move once, especially since the only thing going on at 1st was R1 touching it (no possible play).

Comments?
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

See Situation 3M-3:
http://66.241.210.162/files/Threeump...manual2006.pdf
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 05:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles35
Most of us are comfortable with two man, but rarely do three man enough to get "good" at it. I had the following discussion with one of our senior guys at the last tournament of the year.

No runners on, outs don't matter...SURE DOUBLE to the outfield. Never any question whether the ball is going to be caught, and easily makes it to the fence. My opinion was U1 was to move into the cutout, pivot, watch R1 touch 1st, then move to 2nd, while U2 stayed in D in case R1 tried to stretch it to a triple and of course U3 stayed at home.

U1 insisted that even on a SURE DOUBLE, U2 was to move to C, U3 was to move up the line towards third for a play there and U1 would cover home. My argument was why have all that rotation when U1 could move once, especially since the only thing going on at 1st was R1 touching it (no possible play).

Comments?
Comment: I am confused as to the position designations you are using. I believe that U1 is normally the PU, U2 is the 1st base umpire and U3 is referred to as the 3rd base umpire. In Canada, it's PU, U1, and U3, respectively. What is the correct designation for each position, because now I am unsure?

The way we handle this type of play is the same way your 1st base umpire suggests. U3 (3rd base) comes into the infield and heads for 2nd base. U1 (the PU) comes up the line in case of a play at 3rd. If it then appears there will be a play at 3rd base, U2 (first base umpire) heads to home plate.

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Mon Oct 16, 2006 at 05:16pm.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Comment: I am confused as to the position designations you are using. I believe that U1 is normally the PU, U2 is the 1st base umpire and U3 is referred to as the 3rd base umpire. In Canada, it's PU, U1, and U3, respectively. What is the correct designation for each position, because now I am unsure?

The way we handle this type of play is the same way your 1st base umpire suggests. U3 (3rd base) comes into the infield and heads for 2nd base. U1 (the PU) comes up the line in case of a play at 3rd. If it then appears there will be a play at 3rd base, U2 (first base umpire) heads to home plate.
You can go both ways here. PBUC mechanics are U1 takes Batter/Runner (BR) into 2B if there is no play. This keeps from having all three umpires rotate on a non-play (Unless BR tries for 3B).

The mechanics now being used in AA/AA (This is a crew option) are:

1) Whenever there is R1, U1 is in short A (U3 can be in B or C)
2) U2 only or U2 &U3 - U3 is in D & U1 in deep B
3) Fly ball coverage - Inside umpire has 'V'.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 08:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1
You can go both ways here. PBUC mechanics are U1 takes Batter/Runner (BR) into 2B if there is no play. This keeps from having all three umpires rotate on a non-play (Unless BR tries for 3B).

The mechanics now being used in AA/AA (This is a crew option) are:

1) Whenever there is R1, U1 is in short A (U3 can be in B or C)
2) U2 only or U2 &U3 - U3 is in D & U1 in deep B
3) Fly ball coverage - Inside umpire has 'V'.
So, to answer my question, is it PU, U1 and U3 as the correct terminology?