The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

I am not going to address what should be called for what age group. Simply put, the younger the players, the larger the zone I call. Stomach high and 2 ball's width around the plate.

TussAgee11, whatever your strike zone was, as long as you were calling it for both teams, that's the zone for today.

When the coach started in with "I don't know where he's gonna call a strike for you today", you did right in addressing the coach. When he said "I just want a shoulder to knee strike zone thats all", was your signal to tell him to stay out of your strike zone.

As far as the parking lot goes, this is why in my area we say "pay before the game". The TD can get off his fat a$$ and get to the field a little earlier!

Dealing with Mommies:
So the lady comes to my car and starts yammering. I interrupted her momentarily and said, "I wish to get changed now". At this point, I proceeded to drop my pants and then my Under Armor tights. to her shock, I continued to remove my Under Armor top and dry myself off. I never missed a beat and had the usual post game discussion with my partner. In other words, I totally ignored her until I was dressed. I was surprised that she was still there trying to get her complaint in. I closed my trunk, and said good-by to my partner. As I passed her she said "I have a few things to tell you" to which I said, "Ma'am, I have only one woman in this world that I have to listen to and she is waiting at home for me right now!" I excused myself and drove off leaving her standing there.

As you all know, I don't care! I a woman wants to stand there while I "drop-trou" fine with me! I am too far in years to run and hide or delay my changing in my "private locker room". I try not to be crass or belligerent to the "fans" that may come to see me after a game. It's not their fault, it is society that allows this.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Ma'am, I have only one woman in this world that I have to listen to and she is waiting at home for me right now!" I excused myself and drove off leaving her standing there.
Oh . . . my. With your permission, Ozzy, that one goes in the permanent file.

"The prompt and correct judgements of the honorable umpire elicited applause from the members of both clubs, and their thanks are tendered to him for the gentlemanly manner in which he acquitted himself of that onerous duty." - Niagara Indexensis, May 20th 1872
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
So if a hard thrower throws a changeup knee high on the inside corner on an 0-2 count you call that a ball too, because it's not fair to the batter? Be fair to the pitcher. Any part of the ball goes through any part of the zone and it's a strike. That makes the zone about 2 inches bigger on all sides and particularly for 12's.

Now I know what the b*tch was b*tching about. You have a hitter bias. Any chance her son was a pitcher, or catcher?

A good fastball above the belly button should be MEAT to a good 12 year older hitter. Call it if they don't swing at it. Coach of the offensive team will be hollering "you gotta crush that pitch Johnny".

DG, yes, I will call a good changeup that passes through the strike zone a strike, no matter where it is.

If the age group is at the age where kids can throw hard, then inches above the belly button should not be a stike (with respect to the distance they are away from the plate, 65mph at 50 feet is throwing pretty hard)

A good fastball above the belly button is not "MEAT" to any hitter. And its not a strike in accordance with USSSA baseball rules which uses the MLB book.

If you want to go by the book, don't call it a strike. Thats the fairest thing to do, no?
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
DG, yes, I will call a good changeup that passes through the strike zone a strike, no matter where it is.

If the age group is at the age where kids can throw hard, then inches above the belly button should not be a stike (with respect to the distance they are away from the plate, 65mph at 50 feet is throwing pretty hard)

A good fastball above the belly button is not "MEAT" to any hitter. And its not a strike in accordance with USSSA baseball rules which uses the MLB book.

If you want to go by the book, don't call it a strike. Thats the fairest thing to do, no?
Could you post that strike zone rule here for me Tuss? My Sporting News edition of the Official Baseball Rules(2006) says different. It's got a picture and everything. It sure looks like the top of the zone is above the belly button to me(especially for 12 year olds).
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

My Sporting News MLB book says the top of the strike zone is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants. The belly button is just above the uniform pants and considerably South of the horizontal line just described.

The last 12 year old league I coached in was very competetive and if you threw too many pitches just above the belly button you wouldn't last long on the mound.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Hahahahaha,

Tuss, obviously under the influence of LSD noted:

"If the age group is at the age where kids can throw hard, then inches above the belly button should not be a stike . . . "

What a crock of $h1t!

You have taken the responsibility of equalization of offense and defense.

Sad, just sad!!!

Umpire the game don't coach it!

What a worthless thought of umpiring.

Regards,
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

TussAgee11:

It is obvious from this post (and others you have made) that you have very limited umpire experience, if any at all, and appear to be making posts to irritate those on this board who take umpiring seriously......oh my God, I may have just discovered.......dare I say it......a Troll
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 09:45pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
What if you got a hard throwing kid... the batter will never be able to hit a good fastball at the letters... its just not fair to the batter in my mind.
12 year olds? Why ISN'T that a strike?
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 09:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Maybe you ought to read the rule book again.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
12 year olds? Why ISN'T that a strike?

Agreed. Kids this age have a hard time getting it OVER the plate, let alone in that bread-box zone. IMO, my zone is a little taller for that age group than my varsity.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Let's get over the 12 year old thing. One of the NCAA points of emphasis this year was to call the high strike. There is a video on it. A pitch that is not too far above the belly button is an easy call.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
If you are serious and want to improve, here are some rules to follow, many already suggested by previous posts:
1) get paid before the game
2)when a coach complains about balls and strikes, loud enough for you to hear it,first look directly at him and let him know you hear him with a direct stare. My experience is they will hide right away. If he tries the old trick of asking the catcher where it is, or commenting about your zone, he has now carried on too much. Call time and tell him this is his warning for arguing balls and strikes. Write it down on the lineup card. If he makes any comments from there on, that are audible to the crowd, he has ejected himself.
3) don't think, call strikes
4) Your partner should never leave before you for this exact reason. If you are approached, simply tell them the game is over and have no interaction at all. Believe me, this will come back as you cursed, admitted to cheating, and were intoxicated. Never talk to fans!
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

And how many MLB umpires call a midpoint between the shoulders and belt a strike?

How many good umpires really call it a strike? Belly button, maybe, but when you start getting into the mid point between shoulders and belt with kids that can throw 65-70 from 50 feet, it should be a ball. Its the equivlent to 90-95 at 60 feet, where the umpires call it a ball.

So what makes this any different?

And don't go calling me a troll.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And how many MLB umpires call a midpoint between the shoulders and belt a strike?
MLB has, for the past three or four years, been instructing the umpires to raise the zone, and for the most part, they have. Most have not gone as far as the rule book, but just seeing it called once is awhile is a drastic change from the past.

However, is it your contention that you should call the zone that MLB umpires call when you are working 12 year olds?

Quote:
How many good umpires really call it a strike? Belly button, maybe, but when you start getting into the mid point between shoulders and belt with kids that can throw 65-70 from 50 feet, it should be a ball. Its the equivlent to 90-95 at 60 feet, where the umpires call it a ball.
It is to laugh. You've been watching too much LLWS TV coverage. It is NOT the equivalent of 90-95 mph. It is 65 mph. 65 mph pitches do not cross through the strike zone at near the speed of 95 mph.

Quote:
So what makes this any different?
I dunno, 12 year old vs 30 year old? Pro ball vs LL. They look the same to you? Really? Well then, let's get rid of the safety rules and start taking out catchers.
Quote:
And don't go calling me a troll.
Wouldn't dream of it. Trolls know better when they post something stupid.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, the ball is not passing through the zone at 95 mph. But it has the same reaction time for the batter as 95mph. If you disagree with that, then I'll do some simple algebra for you.

I've called 3 years of ball now, and have called that high strike for plenty of games, and gotten alot of crap for it, both from fellow umpires, assignors, coaches and players.

Nobody is happy when I call it, and it just creates headaches. I don't care what coaches/players/fans think, but I do care what evaluators and fellow umpires think.

So I choose not to call it. I'm surprised to find out so many umpires would call such a high zone.