The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCump84
I would like to say, for the Benefit of the board, I attended umpire school this year, and also was sent to PBUC. We were taught to move towards third when the runner takes off by checking over our right shoulder, gain the most distance and best angle possible, and then if the ball is put in play react accordingly to the batted ball. Hope this helps.
Thank you, TC

"I never called a balk in my life. I didn't understand the rule" - Ron Luciano
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
tc, which school did you go to and what league were you in this year? adding to his school and pbuc post, the evaluator's will mark a guy down for not moving before the ball reaches the catcher. that point should clear up the "begin his reaction / moving to position" argument.
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 07:37pm

I guess I'll change then. Hope I can get that check swing call right while moving.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

sds:

Please don't try to make this brain surgery.

There is actually no problem is seeing these type things.

You have been clear in previous posts that you believe an umpire from "C" can make the checked swing call. . . there is nothing different here.

I BET you already moved . . . and just didn't "feel" it.

Tee
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 09:32pm

In the original post, TussAgee11 said entitled this thread, "Whoa was I out of position." I think there is a distinction between perhaps moving a bit toward the play, and actually taking off with the runner. I have taken a false step or two toward 3rd, but able to recover for a snap throw to another base because I did not overcommit to 3rd, which is the natural tendency.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 09:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I have no problem with the PBUC mechanic, but let me say this. I believe using a times-rate-speed calculation shows that a 70 mph pitch reaches the batter in .584 seconds. Just how much of a jump will that get you if you move as soon as the ball is delivered?

Tim.
Tim,

The time of the pitch is NOT when he releases it.
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCump84
I would like to say, for the Benefit of the board, I attended umpire school this year, and also was sent to PBUC. We were taught to move towards third when the runner takes off by checking over our right shoulder, gain the most distance and best angle possible, and then if the ball is put in play react accordingly to the batted ball. Hope this helps.
To most of us, this isn't a surprise, but thank you for validating the proper mechanic.
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have no problem with the PBUC mechanic, but let me say this. I believe using a times-rate-speed calculation shows that a 70 mph pitch reaches the batter in .584 seconds. Just how much of a jump will that get you if you move as soon as the ball is delivered?

Tim.
About 3 yards including lag time. Note I held my lip (ah fingers) .silent. from further comment.

Last edited by SAump; Mon Sep 25, 2006 at 10:35pm.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
In the original post, TussAgee11 said entitled this thread, "Whoa was I out of position." I think there is a distinction between perhaps moving a bit toward the play, and actually taking off with the runner. I have taken a false step or two toward 3rd, but able to recover for a snap throw to another base because I did not overcommit to 3rd, which is the natural tendency.
Second time you've said it, so I have to ask - what is a "false" step?
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 08:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

If there's an R1 along with the R2, my first two or three steps are FORWARD. Once the throw is made, I either adjust towards third or adjust towards second.

99% of the time the ball goes to third.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But take off willy-nilly before the ball reaches the catcher? Never.
Who said "take off willy-nilly?"

Quote:
It's important enough that the runner uses it -- and most runners are a hell of a lot faster than I am (understanding that the runner must move farther than the umpire).

I seem to recall that the time between F1 committing and Fx catching the ball from F2 is something like 2 seconds. If that's true, then I don't think I can afford to "give up" the 30% - 50% that happens before F2 catches the ball.

As Tee implied (or at least as I inferred from his post), I think most of us (on both "sides" of the issue) are really saying the same thing. It's wrong to wait until F2 catches the ball. It's also wrong to run willy-nilly toward the position as soon as R2 breaks. Be moving toward the position (and the "moving" can include body motion), but don't commit until there's goiing to be a play.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Out of position?

Why would you ever be out of position. If you know the game, you should know when a steal is coming. Then you can "cheat" to be int eh correct position at all times.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Does anyone set up in C other than on the line from the edge of the mound to the plate? In other words, does anyone cheat toward 3B because the runner at 2B may have a very large lead, often directly behind the BU?
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Does anyone set up in C other than on the line from the edge of the mound to the plate? In other words, does anyone cheat toward 3B because the runner at 2B may have a very large lead, often directly behind the BU?

There is no one spot for the C position. Game situations come into play when setting up on the grass. I've set up deep, shallow, left a little, right a little....
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I worked with an umpire, who was home on vacation from his Texas League assignment. He is a very well known umpire here. He even wore his TL uniform and hat for the game.

I did not realize that the double A umpires got vacation. Also, why did he wear his TL uniform and hat? Sounds like he was trying to big-league you.