The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 11:11pm

The best thing about the CW is that they brought back Just Legal, starring Don Johnson, which is a terrific show. The WB had dropped it unceremoniously after only 4 episodes, when they had 13 in the can. It was brought back, no doubt, by popular demand. We had a very popular thread at the WB forum dedicated to bringing the show back.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childress
Then buy the BRD!
I already bought a copy back in 02. But since I only work NCAA ball and I've been trained on OBR, I really don't have a need to get the latest edition. Sorry
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Giaco
I already bought a copy back in 02. But since I only work NCAA ball and I've been trained on OBR, I really don't have a need to get the latest edition. Sorry
But you weren't trained very well in the OBR, else you would have known the pitcher can throw to a base to make an appeal while still in contact with the rubber.

The BRD has 346 official interpretations, 256 of which relate to NCAA or OBR.
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But you weren't trained very well in the OBR, else you would have known the pitcher can throw to a base to make an appeal while still in contact with the rubber.
You got me on that one!!!
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 11:04am
M.A.S.H.

An interesting stat they gave was that in Andy Pettitte's career, he's only been called for five balks. Four of them have been called by Angel Hernandez.
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
An interesting stat they gave was that in Andy Pettitte's career, he's only been called for five balks. Four of them have been called by Angel Hernandez.
If the other three Angel called were for failing to step towards 1B when throwing there, then Angel probably got those right. Pettitte does that BIG TIME, but of course gets away with it routinely.
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
If the other three Angel called were for failing to step towards 1B when throwing there, then Angel probably got those right. Pettitte does that BIG TIME, but of course gets away with it routinely.
Just what I was going to say.
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't understand the problem. The structure of the game puts a premium on being left-handed.

We used to say that left-handers "cheat." They don't; they simply take advantage of the way the game was designed.
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

As i've said before- balks in MLB are treated like travelling in the NBA- it's just not called.

Then you get the rat coaches saying to us "but i saw So and So do it on TV last night, and it didn't get called... you shouldn't have called that balk... blah blah blah"
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
I don't understand the problem. The structure of the game puts a premium on being left-handed.

We used to say that left-handers "cheat." They don't; they simply take advantage of the way the game was designed.
I don't know, Carl. Pettitte's move to first has always looked to me like starts a motion to the plate first.

Tim.
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I don't know, Carl. Pettitte's move to first has always looked to me like starts a motion to the plate first.

Tim.
I'm not arguing that his move is legal. I'm just saying it's a left-handed game.
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

What I'm saying is that, on his pickoff move, Pettitte's free foot lands north of the midpoint between 1B and the plate, and therefore, by professional interpretation of "steps directly towards the base he's throwing to," Pettitte frequently balks on that move. Lefties with good moves generally tend to push the edge of the envelope; Pettitte takes it farther, and gets away with it.

I expect those who are agreeing with me are seeing the same thing. It's not just a lefty thing, it's a Pettitte thing.
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

The problem I've seen in his move is not so much where he lands his free foot, but that he starts it toward home every so slightly before he steps to first.

Tim.
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

5 Balks Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Why would that present a problem?
It wouldn't present a problem unless AH is behind the plate.

Last edited by SAump; Mon Sep 25, 2006 at 12:47am.
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Why would that present a problem?

It is a balk if a pitcher:

2. Commits to pitch but fails to do so.

b. Set Mode: The pitcher is committed to pitch when, after coming set*, he shows movement toward home plate. Such movement includes leaning his body toward home plate, and beginning or rotating his free leg toward home plate.

I'm always glad to help you two.

Tim.