The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Rundown Mechanic

One of the regular writers for the paid portion of Officating.com and I had a nice discussion about how to approach a certain rundown situation. The situation was with R2 only, when a rundown ensues on the BR between 1st and 2nd. The topic of our discussion was the PU's responsibility.

The question being should he stay near the plate to see R2 touch third and possibly score, or should he move out somewhere up the line to help his partner in the rundown. I think the concensus we reached was that the PU's priority was R2, but we both agreed that different associations may have a different point of view on which mechanic to use, and send the PU up the line, leaving him to glance at R2 from that position. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Tim.
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

I can't see PU helping with the rundown in this situation. The only options are (a) go toward third to make a call on R2 if he attempts to advance, or (b) stay home and leave the calls on the bases to BU.

The answer, I think, depends on how the rundown got started. If there was an R1 at the beginning of the play, and a single with a throw behind BR, then PU is already near third. He should stay there.

If there was R2 at the beginning, and a dropped fly and a throw behind, then PU is near the plate. Stay there.
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

We do it this way also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I can't see PU helping with the rundown in this situation. The only options are (a) go toward third to make a call on R2 if he attempts to advance, or (b) stay home and leave the calls on the bases to BU.

The answer, I think, depends on how the rundown got started. If there was an R1 at the beginning of the play, and a single with a throw behind BR, then PU is already near third. He should stay there.

If there was R2 at the beginning, and a dropped fly and a throw behind, then PU is near the plate. Stay there.
The way that Bob describes is what we have taught our officials.

Thanks
David
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
One of the regular writers for the paid portion of Officating.com and I had a nice discussion about how to approach a certain rundown situation. The situation was with R2 only, when a rundown ensues on the BR between 1st and 2nd. The topic of our discussion was the PU's responsibility.

The question being should he stay near the plate to see R2 touch third and possibly score, or should he move out somewhere up the line to help his partner in the rundown. I think the concensus we reached was that the PU's priority was R2, but we both agreed that different associations may have a different point of view on which mechanic to use, and send the PU up the line, leaving him to glance at R2 from that position. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Tim.

When ther are multiple runners and one of them is in a "pickle" each umpire has their own responsibilities.

I normally communicate with my partner by saying "You are on your own" or something along those lines. The PU will take R2 at third base, however, if R2 doesn't move or is less than half way to third, then the BU will take both those calls because we could have a possibilty of 2 runners at the same base.

With R2 the BU is in "C" so all he needs to do is get to the "working area" and he /she will have a good angle to see both R2 and R1.

The PU can't move to far because depending upon what happens there could be a potential play at the plate.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Pete on the communication in this scenario. It is of the utmost importance that each umpire know what the other is doing.

As the PU, I would proceed in foul territory up to the 45' area of the third base line letting my partner know that he is on his own for the pickle. That puts me in position to move in on a play at third or bust back to the plate for a play there. I believe that this is the type of play that we used to take in Fair territory years ago but there is no way at my advanced age I could make that run back to the plate anymore without sucking serious wind!