The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 08, 2001, 08:36am
Veteran College Umpire

R3, ground ball in the infield. Fielder throws home and gets R3 in a rundown. I know if the defense traps the guy off third and the first throw is there the base ump has the call on R3 diving back into third (first play by an infielder), but once R3 is in the rundown does the base ump stay involved? If he does, who pays attention to B1 touching first, being obstructed there, rounding the bag and maybe heading for second (as he is supuposed to do if R3 gets in a rundown)? Thanks -
Old Mon Jul 09, 2001, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ
R3, ground ball in the infield. Fielder throws home and gets R3 in a rundown. I know if the defense traps the guy off third and the first throw is there the base ump has the call on R3 diving back into third (first play by an infielder), but once R3 is in the rundown does the base ump stay involved? If he does, who pays attention to B1 touching first, being obstructed there, rounding the bag and maybe heading for second (as he is supuposed to do if R3 gets in a rundown)? Thanks -
In the mechanics I was taught, BU is supposed to get involved only once all the other runners have "filled in".

In practice, it usually doesn't work that way.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2001, 11:13am
Michael Taylor

As Bob said you have to take care of the other runners. It's the PU's job to see the touch at third and take care of the rundown. If you have a runner at first you have to worry about him because he may try to go to second and have a second pickle.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2001, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to blarson
Another rundown ?

R1, R3 .... R1 breaks, F1 makes pickoff to 1b, rundown ensues, F6 quickly pivots and throws to 3rd to catch R3 dead.

Who has that call ? PU or BU ?

I'm interested in the replies and I'll post why I ask later.
:-)

Bob
Old Mon Jul 09, 2001, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Another rundown ?

Quote:
Originally posted by blarson
R1, R3 .... R1 breaks, F1 makes pickoff to 1b, rundown ensues, F6 quickly pivots and throws to 3rd to catch R3 dead.

Who has that call ? PU or BU ?

I'm interested in the replies and I'll post why I ask later.
:-)

Bob
Since the throw was to (or toward) thrid base, BU has the call.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2001, 04:09pm
Michael Taylor

If it's a turn and dead tag out then I would say BU. If it's a second rundown it has to be PU. Or if the BU takes it the PU has to go to the R1. I don't recomend the second option because every one will be screaming about a play at the plate made by BU.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2001, 12:07am
Veteran College Umpire

I posed both scenarios to some other umpires, and the concensus seems to be the PU has the rundown, but the BU can "fill in" IF he communicates this clearly to the PU. That's much like the rundown betweeen first and second when R1 gets picked off - BU has the whole rundown until the PU gets to first base and lets him know he's there to help out.
As to the second question posed, I'd have to say the BU has the long distance call at third UNTIL the runner gets himself in a rundown. Then the PU has the rundown. If they want a better look, hire the third guy...
All just my opinion, FWIW.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2001, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to blarson
Here is why I asked.

I had that sitch and had an unfamiliar partner for a Senior Legion game. I was on the bases. So I was the guy that got sucked into the rundown.

Luckily I was not too deep towards first so I had a great angle on the play. Problem was that I didn't know if the PU would come up the line or not. In an effort not to have a double call I quickly looked to see where the PU was and that he didn't make a call. He was home, no call, good I bang the out.

Coach whines that I never saw it, I was looking for help. I knew it looked awkward so I let him have his say, explained that I wanted to make sure that we didn't have a double call, I saw it all the way. He started repeating himself, discussion over. We got it right and I didn't hear another peep about any other calls and there were some bangers. I don't know if the guy was testing me or not but it seems like that quick glance could have caused me a real sh**house.

Bob
Old Tue Jul 10, 2001, 11:20am
Michael Taylor

I had a simular thing happen last not in a men's league game. I was the PU with an inexperienced and unknown partner. Fly ball to center and the R1 went 3/4 to second. On the catch he had to hustle back to first which ended in a banger. I didn't go to first and I thought I heard my partner say he got him. Evidently so did the F3 because he rolled the ball across the infield which led to R1 going to second. I had gone up the line some and turned away from the play on the apparent out.

I knew it was getting ready to be ugly. Sure enough here comes the manager wanting to know who's call it is. I told it's the BU. He then ask why did he look at me. I didn't realize he had but to protect my partner I told him that some guys go up the line to cover BU's back but I chose not to and he was looking to make sure I hadn't so we didn't have a double call.

We kept the call under some heat and naturally he scored to put the other team up by a run. It ended up not making a difference but it made things ugly for an inning or so.