View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
One of the regular writers for the paid portion of Officating.com and I had a nice discussion about how to approach a certain rundown situation. The situation was with R2 only, when a rundown ensues on the BR between 1st and 2nd. The topic of our discussion was the PU's responsibility.

The question being should he stay near the plate to see R2 touch third and possibly score, or should he move out somewhere up the line to help his partner in the rundown. I think the concensus we reached was that the PU's priority was R2, but we both agreed that different associations may have a different point of view on which mechanic to use, and send the PU up the line, leaving him to glance at R2 from that position. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Tim.

When ther are multiple runners and one of them is in a "pickle" each umpire has their own responsibilities.

I normally communicate with my partner by saying "You are on your own" or something along those lines. The PU will take R2 at third base, however, if R2 doesn't move or is less than half way to third, then the BU will take both those calls because we could have a possibilty of 2 runners at the same base.

With R2 the BU is in "C" so all he needs to do is get to the "working area" and he /she will have a good angle to see both R2 and R1.

The PU can't move to far because depending upon what happens there could be a potential play at the plate.

Pete Booth