The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 01:11am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
If a coach wants to come out and talk to me about it, I'll give him the time of day. But a player...No Way...Good Bye !
I won't let a coach leave his position to talk about it. It is a ball/strike call, and you shouldn't allow anyone to leave their position to argue balls and strikes. Warn them that if they persist in arguing balls and strikes that they will be ejected, and if they continue, eject them. These guys know the rule about arguing balls and strikes.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 08:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
In general, I've always like Damon.

That was definitely a swing, and definitely strike three.

If a coach wants to come out and talk to me about it, I'll give him the time of day. But a player...No Way...Good Bye !
What about leaving your position to argue balls and strikes do you not understand?
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

NO offense

Did you read Damon's excuse about the 3B umpire. I believe the offense, at any level, doesn't have the right to request a check swing appeal. What Damon did wasn't right. I hope this post doesn't offend anybody. I am on edge today. If I am wrong, I welcome the correct interpretation.
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
What about leaving your position to argue balls and strikes do you not understand?
And what don't you get about the argument NOT being about the Strike Zone ?

The question was a matter of if the batter offered at the ball. A judgment call, just like EVERY other call we make, but not related to Balls & Strikes from the point of view of the Strike Zone.

So, yeah, I'll let a coach call time and come out and talk to me about it. And if he does it right, he stays in the game.

But what Damon did, immediate ejection.

Nick
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The question was a matter of if the batter offered at the ball. A judgment call, just like EVERY other call we make, but not related to Balls & Strikes from the point of view of the Strike Zone.

So, yeah, I'll let a coach call time and come out and talk to me about it. And if he does it right, he stays in the game.

The PBUC manual specifically states that arguing a check swing is arguing balls and strikes.
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Rich didn't say it was about the strike zone, he said it was about balls and strikes. A checked swing in usually a ball and "yes, he did" is a strike. It doesn't matter that the mechanics are different, if a coach argues about a check swing call, he is arguing balls and strikes.
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

ANY ball/strike discussion is short and GONE . . . Nick, a checked/unchecked swing at any time is a ball/strike discussion. Your LL background is showing.

Regards,
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

"Your LL background is showing."

Hey, I did a LL game today.

Of course, it wasn't in Oregon.

I guess that makes us even.
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 09:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

And as you've already been told, you're wrong. A check swing argument is no different than arguing about the strike ZONE. It's arguing balls and strikes. Period.
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If you remember correctly, a coach was thrown out in the college world series for coming out to argue a check swing. I can't remember the coach's team (Miami?), but the 1BU gave him the stop sign and you could read his lips- "don't come out here! don't come out here!" He did, and he was tossed immediately.
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Red face If I may

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
If you remember correctly, a coach was thrown out in the college world series for coming out to argue a check swing. I can't remember the coach's team (Miami?), but the 1BU gave him the stop sign and you could read his lips- "don't come out here! don't come out here!" He did, and he was tossed immediately.
I believe it was this year's CWS and the 3B ump was involved in the play. I believe the opponent was Oregon State, but I will let someone else closer to the NCAA action correct my possible mistake. I picked this up off the interenet, Game 4 - Miami Fla. 11, Oregon State 1. It was early on in the 1st or second game in Omaha. I know Oregon State did battle back to win it all after an early loss. NO, I wasn't there.

Last edited by SAump; Sun Sep 24, 2006 at 04:44pm.